mtbr member

New question here. Light tubes for 2.4" tires - which ones to have ?

I just ordered a set of new Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4" tires. However, I'm afraid that my current Maxxis FlyWeight / Schwalbe XX14 tubes are not suitable for these large tires for the tubes say 1.5-2.125" in them.

So, my question is, would I be able to use my old tubes or should I get larger tubes too. If the latter is a better choice, the which tubes should I get ? They should be as light as possible, I don't want to have any heavy DH tubes...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I just ordered a set of new Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4" tires. However, I'm afraid that my current Maxxis FlyWeight / Schwalbe XX14 tubes are not suitable for these large tires for the tubes say 1.5-2.125" in them.

So, my question is, would I be able to use my old tubes or should I get larger tubes too. If the latter is a better choice, the which tubes should I get ? They should be as light as possible, I don't want to have any heavy DH tubes...
    Your current tubes should be fine, if not a bit weak. You could always go for a slightly heavier 2.0 tube. Something Like a Kenda/Salsa superlight which weighs in about 150grams.

But I don't understand the point on getting 2.4" tires and running superlight tubes in them... I personally puncture easily with a 105gram tube, but never (touch wood) get punctures with my 150gram tubes.

If you change your mind, WTB makes a medium weight tube for your size tires

Thats just my opinion though

A little of everything
    I had Michelin C4 Latex tubes in my 2.4" RR tires. I never punctured, so I can recommmend them. They are very flexible.

Recovering couch patato
    C4's are great. And they enhance tire performance, in more ways than weight.
    About 123g each. I run mine with good succes in Bontrager AcX 29x2.25". In terms of volume similar to 26x2.4".
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I had Michelin C4 Latex tubes in my 2.4" RR tires. I never punctured, so I can recommmend them. They are very flexible.
    For some reason C4 Latex tubes didn't hold 2.25" Nobby Nics very well. My rear tire almost came of the rim on tight corner on tarmac -no problems after switching to Conti butyls.
    I did puncture rear NN twice on the first day though.. (+85kg rider + gear for days ride on the remote fells).

I'd recommend bigger tube, at least on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been running 1.0-1.25 tubes in my 2.4 Mutano Raptor tires for a few years, and before that in my 2.1's for about 4 years. Zero problems, but I'm only 165 pounds and don't ride in rock gardens. PSI is always between 30 and 35 psi.

Recovering couch patato
    I'd love to see performance tests on these over-inflated 1.0-1.25 tubes versus thinner-walled tightly fitting tubes. I'm pretty sure the bigger on will roll and handle better. And puncture much less easily. Would love to see my assumptions tested. All that tension that a skinny tube has even before it fills the tire...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I'd love to see performance tests on these over-inflated 1.0-1.25 tubes versus thinner-walled tightly fitting tubes. I'm pretty sure the bigger on will roll and handle better. And puncture much less easily. Would love to see my assumptions tested. All that tension that a skinny tube has even before it fills the tire...
    Me, too. I'm a cheap bastard and the $3 per tube price is too alluring. That said, I've had zero pinch flats or blown tubes in the past, well, FOREVER. Again, I'm not that heavy and don't ride rock gardens, and my cornering speed (my forte) hasn't suffered due to tire roll or tube adhesion, or lack thereof. Again, I'm cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    For some reason C4 Latex tubes didn't hold 2.25" Nobby Nics very well. My rear tire almost came of the rim on tight corner on tarmac -no problems after switching to Conti butyls.
    I did puncture rear NN twice on the first day though.. (+85kg rider + gear for days ride on the remote fells).

I'd recommend bigger tube, at least on the rear.
    Were you running the same pressure? Latex tubes are more supple, so they might need more pressure than butyl tubes for the same feel and handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Were you running the same pressure? Latex tubes are more supple, so they might need more pressure than butyl tubes for the same feel and handling.
    Hard to say if pressures were similar since my minipump doesn't have gauge. I might try with these latex tubes on some local trails.

the wrench
    ive recently been running my ss with 2.35's and 2.1 maxxis ultralight tube with no ill effects. youre other option is to get some of the comti mtb light tubes which are rated for 1.9-1.5 and you are guarnteed a good fit with a slight weight penalty over the maxxis,
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Members who have read this thread: 0