Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Light & Strong Suspension Forks?

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Milkman 
#1 ·
Hi fellow Weight Weenies,

I'm looking for some suspension forks for my new full-suspension bike build. :confused:

My goal is a 23lb bike that's strong for trail riding and the occasional downhill trail bombing run. :eek:

I weigh 190-200 pounds depending on how much beer I drank the night before, so the RockShox SID and Manitou Skareb probably won't do. :D

Here's what I'm looking for in particular...

* STIFF - no noodely SID please!
* 100 mm travel (but 80mm wouldn't be a deal-killer)
* Disc brake compatible (for my Hope Mono Minis)
* 3.3 pounds or less (1500gr max)
* Not too expensive - budget = $600 max

Here's what I see out on the market:

MANITOU R7 PLATINUM
Right now I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Manitou R7 Platinum, 100mm no boss 1450-1500gr for $600 (I like the BLACK!)
But it's a Manitou, are they reliable? I fear.

MANITOU R7 ELITE & SUPER
The "Elite" verion is affordable at $380, but it's heavier than the "Platinum" right? what's the weight?
I don't think i want the $500 "Super" with the remote lock-out, etc. Too heavy, don't need it.

SPINNER AERIS
The Spinner Aeris looks sweet, but $700-800! Whoa! Wish they made a less expensive version less than 1400gr for about $500

FOX F100RLC
Fox Shox are SWEET. I may get the F100RLC, but they're not cheap and they're a little porky!
I'd buy one today if they were a little lighter though.

ROCKSHOX REBA
Don't meet the weight limit of less than 1500gr

Anything else I should look at? Any suggestions? :confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
spinner aeris - only 80mm travel - same size stanchions as sid's and skareb's although still a little bit stiffer. will be coming out in a version with an aluminium crown that will be cheaper (much cheaper)

i'd say though that it is between the r7 platinum 100 and the reba world cup. the reba is a little above the price range and a little above the weight range. the reba with no poploc is 1532 grams uncut. it is a lovely fork but personally - i use the 100mm r7 platinum and absolutely love it - instantly noticably stiffer than my skareb - 100mm is awesome - highly recommend this fork. mine weighed 1482 uncut, 1447 with 193mm steerer.

#4 ·
As a fellow bigger guy at 185lbs - down from 213lbs 5 months ago, I'll voice my opinions :)

First of all, what bike is this going on?... Some might not like to believe it, but I find matching up the front and rear suspension quiet improtant on my rides; different damping systems behave differently etc.. So it's handy info to have.

MANITOU Are they relaible? Well I know Grover has spent about 2 years(?) on a set of Scarebs, and about 3 or 4 months on a set of R7 Platniums without any issues as far as I know. They certainly look trick. Personally I would stay away from the lower end models. Also the Manitou might not be as "Stiff" as then the RockShox or Fox offerings still an awesome fork by all reprots though.

FOX F100RLC/
The Fox Forks are over 1500g, by a pretty long way. They are however a great fork, very stiff laterally and very plush, smooth forks. They track well and have a range of adjustments to keep users happy. Being a larger guy you may need to tune the forks a little; it's quiet easy to do so though. I ran 8.3wt oil in mine, and while it wasn't a huge difference over the stock 7.5wt, there was a difference.

The Float RLC will come in at around 1680g uncut. I had mine down to 1620g cut which is a quiet a bit over the 1500g you specified. Keep an eye out on eBay for a set of F100 RL's they are the OEM version but are a little lighter, I found I never used the compresion or threshold adjustment anyways. My F80RLs weighed in at 1590g with 200mm of steerer and 1576g cut down to 180mm.

ROCKSHOX REBA
Reba's I have not ridden, however by alot of reports they are well over the 1535g Grover mentioned in his post. Is that confirmed weight Grover?... Weight weenies reprots them as being in the 1680g range. I cant imaige the "poploc" being that heavy.

They are said to be very good forks, very adjustable in the case of the higher models although I do think you'd need a degree in suspension technology to set them up perfectly without a dozen or so rides to play around. Very stiff forks from what I hear. Keep in mind also the "poploc" handlebar adjuster can be replaced with a knob on the top of the fork... I hear they are alloy knobs now too :)

I hope that helps a little bit :)

#5 ·
I've ridden a Sid Race, Reba and now the R7 Platinum. Liked the race but very flexy. Did not care for the Reba, felt harsh and heavy, but maybe did not have it setup right. Love the R7. The SPV feels weird, but once you get used it you get to like it. For me laterally very stiff, but came from a Sid Race. My R7 platinum weighed 1499grams uncut. No brake bosses.

#7 ·
nino posted weights when the 06 rockshox first came out - a reba world cup uncut without poploc was 1532 - pretty sure about that, maybe it was a 210mm steerer. add a couple more grams for the alloy adjuster nob over the cable clamp nob but that means no poploc which is between 26 and 34 grams.

but don't even bother with them - get 100mm r7 platinum's and you'll be happy.

#10 ·
Thanks for all your input guys.

looks like a toss-up between:

MANITOU R7 PLATINUM
SPINNER AERIS SPORT

The Manitou may win here because it's got 100mm travel and beefier 30mm stanchions.

Before I do anything, I'll check out the new Spinner Aeris Sport though.

#11 ·
White Brothers XC .8
Can't be beat on weight/stiffness. Gotten heavier for 2006 with the magic valve stuff, the '05 should be sub-1500g. They use the same basic fork for 5" jump forks. It's that strong. Even my 29" version when locked out simply feels like a steel rigid fork.

#13 ·
Cloxxki said:
White Brothers XC .8
Can't be beat on weight/stiffness. Gotten heavier for 2006 with the magic valve stuff, the '05 should be sub-1500g. They use the same basic fork for 5" jump forks. It's that strong. Even my 29" version when locked out simply feels like a steel rigid fork.
Hey Cloxxki,

Yeah, I've been looking at the White Bros XC forks too.

They're super-cool and very strong. Maybe I'll snag one of these.

But where do I find a new or barely used '05 XC .8 for sale?

2006 are out now!

#14 ·
aussie_yeti said:
nino posted weights when the 06 rockshox first came out - a reba world cup uncut without poploc was 1532 - pretty sure about that, maybe it was a 210mm steerer. add a couple more grams for the alloy adjuster nob over the cable clamp nob but that means no poploc which is between 26 and 34 grams.

but don't even bother with them - get 100mm r7 platinum's and you'll be happy.
Very True - I did forget about that. However given that I have seen the Reba World Cups going for about $1800AUD I'd imagine it to be quiet abit more then $600USD, might be totally wrong though (supply and demand).

#15 ·
dirkfh said:
Is 1574 with brake bosses, uncut. Seems got a heavy one based upon other peoples scales.

DFH
My '04 Black Super Air 80mm SPV was in the neighborhood of 1600 grams with both sets of brake bosses. There are some excellent bargains out there on newer Black models. I love my fork's linear feel and I don't miss flipping the lockout lever while riding down a hill.

You've got to pay the price to be a weight weenie. A few hundred dollars to save a few tenths of a pound. It's too painful for me.

Regarding the durability of Manitou forks. I've been using various models as my primary forks for six years now (I had a magnum in '95 but that thing was awful) and I have been impressed with their durability. Somehow the bushings don't seem to wear out, for me anyway. I broke the lockout assembly of a Skareb but it was replaced under warranty.

#16 ·
Actual weights

dualsport650 said:
Hey Cloxxki,

Yeah, I've been looking at the White Bros XC forks too.

They're super-cool and very strong. Maybe I'll snag one of these.

But where do I find a new or barely used '05 XC .8 for sale?

2006 are out now!
2006 Reba World Cup disc only 265mm steer tube 1557 grams
2005 Reba Team disc only 170mm steer tube 1592 grams
both w/o poploc @ 50 grams
2006 Manitou R7 Platinum Disc only 200mm steer tube 1450 grams
2006 Manitou R7 Super w/ crown lock out disc only 265mm steer tube 1534 grams

these were weighted on my scale that accurate to 1-2 grams

#18 ·
My vote's for the wb also.

Hope you don't mind I'm going to try to attach a photo. I Built up a bike in 2000 with the xc 4 and loved it so much plus the excellent customer service, that spring last year I built up a trail bike similar to what you describe and it was the easiest choise I made for the bike. I went with the 1.0. Weight is almost the same and no real price difference compared to the .8. I can't speak for the new magic. I'm sure it's quality, but I can speak for the 1.0 after a season. It's the bomb. Not one thing to complain about. If I were you I'd try to get a deal on one in somebody's stock. I got 90 percent of my build through universal and they currently still list them on the website.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=613
Anyway that's my vote hope it helps you in some way.

Attachments

#20 ·
Why did you have to post that Milkman? :eek:

Now I'm checking out the White Forks again.

I'm starting to compromise on the weight for stronger parts.

So, my light bike project is turning into the kinda light bike. :D

Oh, well. At least I won't be snapping parts and getting hurt out on the trails.

It's all good.

#21 ·
WHAT?!?!??!??! NO Noleen Mega Air posting? Oh, WEEELL, I just have to do something about that.

(ahem)

I know it's not on your list, but a Noleen Mega Air will meet your requirements nicely. Disc and V, 75 or 100 mm, 32 mm stanchions ..... UNDER 3 pounds (okay, it depends on steerer tube length, travel option and brake choice). Oh, and you can find used one's CHEAP on E-Bay (or if you ask nicely fellow posters might have one to sell). For the money you'd spend you can "put the savings" into other areas, too. ;)

Okay, now i've hopefully confused you further.:D

#22 ·
Hey AndrewTO,

Great idea. Actually, I own one already and LOVE it. :D

It's STIFF and PLUSH and LIGHT. Plus, It was CHEAP! I snagged one off eBay with a K2 Attack 3.0 frame for just $220 for BOTH! :eek:

I built that up with my old XTR parts as my "wife's bike" and I've been riding that bike around for months. It's a nice little bike, but the frame's a little small for my 6 foot height.

Problem is, I CAN'T find any more NOLEEN MEGA AIRs on eBay. :(

Anybody have an extra? PM me!!! :D

#24 ·
Minute 2 in 100mm

Meets all of your criteria except one. It is rated at 3.4lbs instead of 3.3. Tough call, I know. You can pick up an '05 w/ 30mm stanchions for around $300 on closeout, or if you have to have the latest and greatest the '06 bumped up to 32mm stanchions. Both with the SPV Evolve system. I would think you could get replacement parts for later down the road much easier than white brothers or spinner, etc. Just another option...

#25 ·
I will check my scale with a liter of water.

Spin Cycle said:
2006 Reba World Cup disc only 265mm steer tube 1557 grams
2005 Reba Team disc only 170mm steer tube 1592 grams
both w/o poploc @ 50 grams
2006 Manitou R7 Platinum Disc only 200mm steer tube 1450 grams
2006 Manitou R7 Super w/ crown lock out disc only 265mm steer tube 1534 grams

these were weighted on my scale that accurate to 1-2 grams
And re-weigh my R7 Platinum. The wieght of the 2001 SID I removed matches the weight shown on the weight-weenies,starbike site.

DFH

#26 ·
service

schwing_ding said:
I would think you could get replacement parts for later down the road much easier than white brothers or spinner, etc. Just another option...
I sent my xc4 in twice in 6 years and both times White Brothers (eko sports) told me their turn around time is 48 hours and both times it was done within that time even when my xc>4 was an older model. I put a lot of miles on it and I sent it in during the offseasons because of some play. They replaced bushings and seals for a very reasonable price. minor tare downs I can do myself they are pretty easy to maintain. When I got my xc 4 there weren't to many people offering 32 mm sanctions. They still have 32 mm and the cnc'd crown. but the dampining is so much better on the newer ones with the low press high volume air. Pick the one you want but I wouldn't count out the wb because you're worried about discontiued parts. Whatever you pick be sure to post some pics. I want to know what you decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.