Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,338

    Light Shimano Triggers (9 speed)?

    My Fuel has some Deore 9 speed shifters on it with indicators. I never use the indicators but they don't seem to be removable. I've got a new cockpit setup for the bike (F99,EC90SL,Pork Rinds) and I would like to put some lighter and more minimal shifters on it if I could. Must be triggers and work with my shimano deraillers. Does anything like that exist?

    Thanks!
    Chris
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    My Fuel has some Deore 9 speed shifters on it with indicators. I never use the indicators but they don't seem to be removable. I've got a new cockpit setup for the bike (F99,EC90SL,Pork Rinds) and I would like to put some lighter and more minimal shifters on it if I could. Must be triggers and work with my shimano deraillers. Does anything like that exist?

    Thanks!
    Chris
    look
    Shifter Tuning...

    thats right LX XT and XTR have removable indicators (LX is the lightest)

    Janosik
    Last edited by Janosik; 01-21-2006 at 06:12 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    917
    I remove my deore shifter indicator with a dremel and will thehole on the top with glue...

    looks sketchy but if done correctly looks realy nice

    I will post pics !

  4. #4
    PCC
    PCC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,081
    I swapped my Deore for Deore LX shifters and saved about 1.5 ounces. The weights are:

    Deore 292.7
    Deore LX 249.5

    The weights are with cables but no housings (the LX weight was with the uncut cables as it came from Shimano and the Deore was with cut cables as it came off my C'dale) and no indicators on the LX.

    For those of you who are thinking that $45 for 1.5 ounces is a waste of money, I agree with you. OTOH, I needed to buy another set of shifters for a bike I'm building up right now so I figured, why not? If not for this bike project, I would have never have done this.

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,152
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    I swapped my Deore for Deore LX shifters and saved about 1.5 ounces. The weights are:

    Deore 292.7
    Deore LX 249.5

    The weights are with cables but no housings (the LX weight was with the uncut cables as it came from Shimano and the Deore was with cut cables as it came off my C'dale) and no indicators on the LX.

    For those of you who are thinking that $45 for 1.5 ounces is a waste of money, I agree with you. OTOH, I needed to buy another set of shifters for a bike I'm building up right now so I figured, why not? If not for this bike project, I would have never have done this.
    I can confirm that the LX is around 250g with indicators removed. I weighed them on a digi scale. They're actually as light as the SRAM XO shifters, but like hundreds of dollars less
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-21-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Janosik
    look
    Shifter Tuning...

    tahts right LX XT and XTR have removable indicators (LX is the lightest)

    Janosik
    Janosik - i'd like to take you up on your translator offer. The "barrel adjuster" bolts - how? He took a normal aluminum bolt, drilled a hole through the bolt for the inner cable and a counter-sunk hole for the cable housing? My best guess.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  7. #7
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    Bad place to lose weight

    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    My Fuel has some Deore 9 speed shifters on it with indicators. I never use the indicators but they don't seem to be removable. I've got a new cockpit setup for the bike (F99,EC90SL,Pork Rinds) and I would like to put some lighter and more minimal shifters on it if I could. Must be triggers and work with my shimano deraillers. Does anything like that exist?

    Thanks!
    Chris
    Screw losing weight using lower end Shimano triggers. Use XT or even XTR! End of story...good shifting is better than an ounce of weight.

    Jaybo

    PS I have XO shifters. They absolutely BLAST LX shifters. It ain't even worth a discussion.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Janosik - i'd like to take you up on your translator offer. The "barrel adjuster" bolts - how? He took a normal aluminum bolt, drilled a hole through the bolt for the inner cable and a counter-sunk hole for the cable housing? My best guess.
    As you see my english isn't perfect (so translator isnt the best word )

    You are right "He took a normal aluminum bolt, drilled a hole through the bolt for the inner cable"
    I dont know the word "counter-sunk hole" I can geuss you want to say that he made a little bigger hole in the begging of this bolt for fitting housing"

    Janosik

    PS look carfully he made a hole not only in barrel adjuster bolt but in every bolt
    and thare is still some idea to save some grams
    Last edited by Janosik; 01-21-2006 at 06:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Screw losing weight using lower end Shimano triggers. Use XT or even XTR! End of story...good shifting is better than an ounce of weight.

    Jaybo

    PS I have XO shifters. They absolutely BLAST LX shifters. It ain't even worth a discussion.
    Tell me how XT or XTR triggers are better than LX.

    My LX shifters are about 4 years old, still work great, not only that, but they have less throw than sram shifters.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  10. #10
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    LX are nice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Screw losing weight using lower end Shimano triggers. Use XT or even XTR! End of story...good shifting is better than an ounce of weight.

    Jaybo

    PS I have XO shifters. They absolutely BLAST LX shifters. It ain't even worth a discussion.
    I have them on both my race hardtail and my Stumpy FSR-XC. Light, easy, sure action. I never miss a shift because of the shifters. I can't ask for much better. I may get a set of XTs or XTRs if my LXs wear out and I find a good deal on them. Oh, did I mention that I have thousands of miles on them, and I bought them both used? The things are tanks. When they get a little sticky, I shoot a little tri-flow in there and they are good as new.

    That said, I like my gear indicators where they are. When hammering super hard and getting light headed, I sometimes forget what front ring I'm in.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 01-21-2006 at 07:29 PM.

  11. #11
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    LX shifts as well as XTR and XT

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I have them on both my race hardtail and my Stumpy FSR-XC. Light, easy, sure action. I never miss a shift because of the shifters. I can't ask for much better. I may get a set of XTs or XTRs if my LXs wear out and I find a good deal on them. Oh, did I mention that I have thousands of miles on them, and I bought them both used? The things are tanks. When they get a little sticky, I shoot a little tri-flow in there and they are good as new.

    That said, I like my gear indicators where they are. When hammering super hard and getting light headed, I sometimes forget what front ring I'm in.
    As far as shifting up and down. XT and XTR just shift nicer due to the use of bearings insteed of bushings...just like XO shifts a touch nicer than X9.

    Jaybo

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slobberdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    936

    XT vs XO weights and performance?

    Can anybody tell me what the weight of the XT's without indicators are vs. the XO's? Please Please Please or really just what the XO's weight is? If possible how these two shifter compare.

  13. #13
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,338
    I've been riding a long time. To me shifter "level" doesn't affect performance. My last bike had cheapo 8 speed shifters, probably lower than LX. I never had an issue with them until someone walked off with that bike
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  14. #14
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    XO weight

    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    Can anybody tell me what the weight of the XT's without indicators are vs. the XO's? Please Please Please or really just what the XO's weight is? If possible how these two shifter compare.
    The XO triggers weigh 224g a pair. A big disappointment is the use of steel bolts for the clamp and the trigger adjustment. I replaced them with alu, but not sure how much weigt is saved. The internals are heavy stamped steel, and someone with time and patience could probably drill/file some weight away here too.


    Ole.

  15. #15
    PCC
    PCC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,081
    I forgot to mention this: the indicators weigh only a few grams each. I forgot the numbers but I remember thinking that I wasn't saving much weight taking them off. I'll weigh them and report back.

  16. #16
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    I'm confused

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    They are about 23-26g, that's significant.

    XTs weigh about 248 without cables, the XO weighs about 224 without cables. Take the indicators off the XTs and they weigh about 224. The LX, XT and XTR shifters weigh virtually the same. So LX, XT or XTR will weigh about the same as the XO when you take off the indicators.
    If everything is weight and not performance, all weight watchers should ride grip shift.

    Jaybo

  17. #17
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,152
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    I forgot to mention this: the indicators weigh only a few grams each. I forgot the numbers but I remember thinking that I wasn't saving much weight taking them off. I'll weigh them and report back.
    They are about 23-26g, that's significant.

    XTs weigh about 248 without cables, the XO weighs about 224 without cables. Take the indicators off the XTs and they weigh about 224. The LX, XT and XTR shifters weigh virtually the same. So LX, XT or XTR will weigh about the same as the XO when you take off the indicators.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    If everything is weight and not performance, all weight watchers should ride grip shift.

    Jaybo
    its not the same things... Its personal preference...

    For more agressive rinding i would not use grip shift... because you will shift when you don't want to !

  19. #19
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Sure...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    As far as shifting up and down. XT and XTR just shift nicer due to the use of bearings insteed of bushings...just like XO shifts a touch nicer than X9.

    Jaybo
    ... but since my lever action is so smooth and feathery as it is, does that really get me much? Maybe, but I'm not really motivated to upgrade. Like I said, if I find a good deal on XTs or XTRs and my current shifters take a crap on me, I may go for it.

    But the market is that everybody thinks the LXs are low end-ish, so there are tons of used ones out there cheap, which does not seem to be the case for XTs or XTRs. The bling factor drives up the price by quite a bit. XTs seem to go for twice the price as LXs, and I'm not sure they are twice as good.

  20. #20
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    If everything is weight and not performance, all weight watchers should ride grip shift.

    Jaybo
    I agree with Megaclocker. I tried gripshift and didn't like it. I want triggers that work with my shimano stuff (dura ace rear der and 11-27 cassette). Is it so bad to want light triggers?

    To some of us, tuning parts is FUN. I know 20g will not make me win or lose a race but it's still fun to see how light I can make a part. If I screw up the shifters in the process, oh well I'll just buy another pair.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  21. #21
    PCC
    PCC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    They are about 23-26g, that's significant.

    XTs weigh about 248 without cables, the XO weighs about 224 without cables. Take the indicators off the XTs and they weigh about 224. The LX, XT and XTR shifters weigh virtually the same. So LX, XT or XTR will weigh about the same as the XO when you take off the indicators.
    Yeah, 25 grams. That's just shy of an ounce. About seventeen of those will make a pound. Now I need to find 16 other places to shave 25 grams off my bike. I'm being facetious here, of course.

    As far as weight is concerned, almost double the price for the same weight and about the same performance? I'll stick with LX until they die then buy another set.

    As for Grip-shift, I'll pass. I tried them and found that I would shift gears without trying just riding down the street, how the heck do you guys ride with them on dirt?
    Last edited by PCC; 01-22-2006 at 03:51 PM.

  22. #22
    I <3 29ers
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Janosik
    As you see my english isn't perfect (so translator isnt the best word )

    You are right "He took a normal aluminum bolt, drilled a hole through the bolt for the inner cable"
    I dont know the word "counter-sunk hole" I can geuss you want to say that he made a little bigger hole in the begging of this bolt for fitting housing"

    Janosik

    PS look carfully he made a hole not only in barrel adjuster bolt but in every bolt
    and thare is still some idea to save some grams
    No, you still make a good translator. Your English isn't THAT bad. Where are you from?

    Yes, counter-sunk hole is the bigger hole to make relief for the cable housing to sit into. You got it right. Blue aluminum bolts - I LIKE it!

    Holes inside bolts - yes, i'm just making sure I have all the right bolts now and the NRS will be getting a complete treatment for that. I'll be tuning (machining) my shifters to get them lighter. I'm not sure about the triggers, though. Hole's yes, removing the cover's, no. I want the ergonomics and that will be my compromise. THANKS!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Where are you from?
    Its easy to geuss I'm from Poland.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    THANKS!
    no problem

    Janosik

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •