mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Light rim brake pads for MTB

Hi

I'm looking for some light brake Pads for my V-brakes. The lightest one that i found is Kool Stop pads and they weight about 10grams per wheel.

An one more question: is it possible to put road brake pads to MTB brake pads holder.

Martin

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemaniack
    Is it possible to put road brake pads to MTB brake pads holder.
    No, different size. If you are using the Shimano cartridge pads I don't think you'll find any real weight difference between different replacement pads as they are all the same size.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think,the lightest option is to buy this kool stop pads and cut them like in this picture (my cartridges are filed thru this "hole",so i have to cut all my new brake pads. I got one more option to make brake pads lighter.

Aaa,and that's my Mag's with standars steel spacers but they still can be few grams (7-8) lighter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light rim brake pads for MTB-avid-mag.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    You're probably better off finding pad holders that are light, like the super fancy ones from Jagwire or Delta, the ones with Ti hardware and hollowed out backing plates, and just use whatever actual cartridges stop you the best. There's not a lot of weight to be saved on the actual stopping surface.
    A hardtail is forever

Litespeeder
    Nov 2009
    Got a link to the super fancy jagwire or delta pad holders?? Can't find much on Google

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hardtailforever are you talking about this holders?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGWIRE-CARTRI...#ht_555wt_1165If not,can you send sme photo. Mine set with heavily used tuned pads and three spacers ( I don't need that 4th) weight only 21 or 22 grams I don't remember exacly,so they are 10 grams lighter than KCNC set I got now Tektro pad holders like this one,but mine are "more" tuned

I found this padsthey say that they weight only 10,2grams so it's the same weight like Kool Stops but for a half price.

Maybe in Autumn i get tuned some Aid holders,to save few grams,couse from that moment i got enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light rim brake pads for MTB-1011207445.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images