mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Light larger diameter bar ends?

I love the Extralight UltraEnds, but they are so expensive, especially with the current exchange rate. Are there any other bar ends that are nearly as light with the same diameter? Most bar ends I've seen are at least twice the weight and too skinny or short (or both). The Extralight are just perfect diameter and could actually be cut 15 mm or so shorter.

mtbr member
    the tune bar ends looks much bigger in diameter.but are expensive too.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tune = 27 mm, Extralite = 26 mm.

I measured the Extralite I have and found the Tune spec on their website. The Tune's are a bit heavier and uglier but I'm going to check into the price/availability out of curiousity. Anybody know where to get Tune stuff in the US?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clamp angle not good for carbon bars.

Those ControlTech don't clamp at a right angle to the bar. Apparently that voids most carbon bar warranties. I've never tried ergo type bar ends either. I also wonder if the spec'd weight is accurate.

Anybody know the diameter of the Post Modern bar ends and where to find them in the US?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe, maybe not.

It's hard to tell from the photos on the ControlTech website, but it looks to me like the ergo carbon version does not clamp per Easton's recommendations. The aluminum version appears to be OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bolt angle.

I'm sure the clamp area is circular on all bar ends. The problem is that if the bolt closing the clamp is not at a right angle to the opening, one edge of the clamp will bite into the bar. The carbon version appears to use a bolt that is at an angle other than 90 degrees. It's hard to tell from the photo on the website though.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

Listen! My experiences with lightweight bar ends

I have tried the Extralight barends (54 g a pair) for some months, but in the end I sent them back to the dealer because of the poor clamp machining: The clamp's inner diameter was up to about 23,0 mm (it was't quite round either) so the bar ends' fit to the bar was very loose (slackly) when not tightened. Recommended torque is only 4 to 5 Nm, and it turned out to be impossible to fix them - the bar ends twisted during the ride. One layer of aluminium sheet (cut from a beverage can) between the bar and the bar end clamp solved the problem, but it was a pain to install the sheet and the sheet was distroyed when disassembling the bar ends. Finally I sent the bar ends back to the dealer (www.hibike.de), got a new pair, experienced the same problem, sent them back and got a pair of Tune's "Rennhörnchen" (60 g a pair) in exchange.

The fit of the Tune bar ends to the bar is tight, so I don't expect any problems with regard to the clamp. (Haven't tested the Tune bar ends on the trail yet.) However, the clamp design does not look as if it will survive a crash (my estimation).

I have two pairs of Post Moderne barends (58 g a pair) mounted on other bikes. (the "Post Modernes" are also sold under other labels like "Cannondale" or "XLC"). They are well machined, the clamp design appears to be solid, and they are comparatively cheap.

On the other hand, the "Post Modernes" are noticeably less ergonomic than the "Extralites" and (assumably) the "Tunes": Outer tube diameter Tune is 26 mm - outer diameter Post Moderne is only 21,5 mm. Lenght of Tune is almost 110 mm (from center of bar clamp to end of end cap) - lenght of "Post Moderne" is hardly 90 mm (dito).

I don't remenber the exact dimensions of the "Extralites", but they were similar to the "Tunes".

Bottom line: If you can accept the ergonomic shortcomings of the "Post Modernes", buy them as they are light and cheap and appear to be solid. Otherwise buy "Tunes". Don't buy "Extralites" unless they have learned how to design a clamp.
    Last edited by Markus B.; 01-01-2005 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've got some UltraEnds already.

I've had 3 sets. The pair on my bike are 2 years old, with lots of miles & crashes and are working great. A pair on my wife's bike cracked in the clamp area and has been replaced. I'm going to measure that one to see if it was a manufacturing problem. Thanks for the other info.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

Less lightweight, but cheaper

Roox "Litehorns" (106 g and 26,o mm tube diameter according to www.roox.de).

Ritchey "WCS".

Just suggestions, I have no experience with those.