Cheney for Sith Lord '08

Light-heavyweight-ish...?

Well,I'm really not a typical weight-weenie,but I have a trailbike (around 34 lbs) which I'm trying to make MORE freeride/DH oriented (I hate to categorize), but with minimal weight gains.In particular, I'm wondering what you guys think are the LIGHTEST DH-worthy rims/wheelsets out there.My prerequisites are that the rims are suitable for 26"x2.5"+ tires, hubs are disk compatible, won't crumble under 180lbs of rider at high speeds, and, obviously, weigh as little as possible.Sorry if this is more DH oriented than WW, but I honestly don't know too many DH'ers who give a flyin' frig about weight.Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by ArroyoBomber; 02-28-2006 at 12:31 AM.
    R.I.P.-George Carlin

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ArroyoBomber
    Well,I'm really not a typical weight-weenie,but I have a trailbike (around 34 lbs) which I'm trying to make MORE freeride/DH oriented (I hate to categorize), but with minimal weight gains.In particular, I'm wondering what you guys think are the LIGHTEST DH-worthy rims/wheelsets out there.My prerequisites are that the rims are suitable for 26"x2.5"+ tires, hubs are disk compatible, won't crumble under 180lbs of rider at high speeds, and, obviously, weigh as little as possible.Sorry if this is more DH oriented than WW, but I honestly don't know too many DH'ers who give a flyin' frig about weight.Thanks for any help.
    You should ask on the DH forum what people reccomend for light DH, or DHracing, then look at those opinions and find the lightest one..

For light freeriding and trail riding, the new DT 5.1 seems like a popualr choice at around 510grams.

IMO, if your doing serious DH and freeriding, i wouldn't worry to much about getting light weight, go for strength before weight.

Doesn't Stans - no tubes now have a freeride rim? That would be crazy light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    AlexRims Supra D are realy strong and they weigh 540g

AlexRims also make a freeride rims (FD26) at 490g i beleive but they are hard to find

Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Don't get me wrong, I do put strength before weight as far as DH'ing, but I must make SOME compromise.Ya see, the areas I DH are several miles off of the fireroads and any shuttle access, i.e., I have to pedal up EVERYTHING I go down.Once again, apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree.I was torn between posting here or in DH/FR, but DH'ers usually give me the "don't worry about weight,worry about strength", which stands to reason, but most of them don't have to ride 13 miles uphill at about 12% grade to do a run.Besides, to be honest, I'm just not that social a creature, so it's usually just 2-4 of us TOPS on outings (but often, just me...I'm a bad monkey), and I'm the only one with a vehicle which can carry more than 2 bikes.So, I'm stuck in the predicament of needing a hybrid trail/DH/FR rig which I want to at least keep under 40 lbs (37lbs ideally, but I'm keeping my standards low here).Plus, my bike is actually a trail bike ('06 IH Warrior Trail.Frame weight= +/- 8.5 lbs.5" suspension f&r.Switching many parts out, and yes, I know my DH'ing will be limited by the 70 deg head angle.), and the frame fit the bill for what I wanted from it, so no discussions on "another bike" for now, please. Thanks again for your patience and any help on the matter.

p.s.-haven't decided yet on light/mid-duty DH tires,lighter OS riser bars (1.5"-2" rise), a sub-5lbs fork (110~140mm adjustable...?),etc... so if any of you weight skimmers want a different kind of project to help out with, I'm open to any ideas.
    R.I.P.-George Carlin

Members who have read this thread: 0