Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    I like bikes :)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    122

    light disc wheelset

    im considering getting a new wheelset for my bike. ill be running xtr discs. heres what i have in mind.

    stans 347 or 355 rims or, a cheaper option, sun rim dsxc-1 (408g)
    dt revo 2.0/1.5
    xtr hubs (already have, wont consider anything else)

  2. #2
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    im considering getting a new wheelset for my bike. ill be running xtr discs. heres what i have in mind.

    stans 347 or 355 rims or, a cheaper option, sun rim dsxc-1 (408g)
    dt revo 2.0/1.5
    xtr hubs (already have, wont consider anything else)
    Are you sure about those XTR hubs? My advice, consider Chris King. Really Really consider Chris King.

  3. #3
    I like bikes :)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    122
    heres why i will keep my xtr hubs.

    1. i already have them
    2. i dont have too much money
    3. not much heavier than chris king
    4. very reliable
    5. i wont have to get new rotors

    some other info... this wheelset will be only for racing. ill have another cheap wheelset built up for training. im riding a hard tail, and am a bit hard on rear wheels, but the guy i will have build it guarantees his wheels (free truing for life )

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,306
    FYI, I believe there were issues with the Sun rims being heavier than claimed. You might want to double check before getting them.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  5. #5
    I like bikes :)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    122
    they were 400g claimed, 408 real according to the weight weenies website.
    estimated weight for the wheelset (with olympic rims)~1430g w/o skewers

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    Amclassic rims: 1/2 price..

    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    im considering getting a new wheelset for my bike. ill be running xtr discs. heres what i have in mind.

    stans 347 or 355 rims or, a cheaper option, sun rim dsxc-1 (408g)
    dt revo 2.0/1.5
    xtr hubs (already have, wont consider anything else)
    get Amclassic MTB350 rims! they are about half the cost of Stans rims an better quality too.
    cost is ca. 60 Euro per rim.

  7. #7
    Max
    Max is offline
    Velodramatic
    Reputation: Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    533
    i thought those were not (officially ) available as single rims but only when bought as a complete wheelset?


    Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    i thought those were not (officially ) available as single rims but only when bought as a complete wheelset?
    you can get them individually in germany (RADAC is the Amclassic distributor). official cost is 68 Euro. some german discounters have them for 55 euro. i once had posted a link but i can't find that thread anymore. it was about 4-6 weeks ago. only downside is that they have them just in 32-holes drilling.

  9. #9
    bang
    Reputation: Cyco-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,290

    half price?

    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    you can get them individually in germany (RADAC is the Amclassic distributor). official cost is 68 Euro. some german discounters have them for 55 euro. i once had posted a link but i can't find that thread anymore. it was about 4-6 weeks ago. only downside is that they have them just in 32-holes drilling.
    according to the notubes website, the ztr 355 rims cost $85, and the ztr olympic rims cost $95. so at best you save $12 / $22, then you have to deal with shipping from europe...how much would it cost to ship those rims from germany to the US (or canada in this case)?

  10. #10
    I like bikes :)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    122
    ya it would be shipping to canada, and i dont know who distributes am classic in canada, but i would probably be able to get them at cost then. and im not too worried about only having 32holes.
    my one worry was that the 2.0/1.5 spokes wouldnt hold up too well with discs

    *edit* also, with the stans rims, i would get the rim strips, which i dont have but would buy anyway. it costs about $110 canadian with taxes, exchange and shipping to get the whole set.

  11. #11
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    you can get them individually in germany (RADAC is the Amclassic distributor). official cost is 68 Euro. some german discounters have them for 55 euro. i once had posted a link but i can't find that thread anymore. it was about 4-6 weeks ago. only downside is that they have them just in 32-holes drilling.
    Can you get a hold of one of these rims? I would be interested in getting one..

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    found the link...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Can you get a hold of one of these rims? I would be interested in getting one..
    here's the link:
    http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pi...m?categoryId=5
    Amclassic MTB350 rims: 55 euro = 73$

  13. #13
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    here's the link:
    http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pi...m?categoryId=5
    Amclassic MTB350 rims: 55 euro = 73$
    I don't speak german though...

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    they speak english...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    I don't speak german though...
    no problem-send them a mail.

    but what is it that you don't understand?
    Amclassic rim: 55 euro. simple.

  15. #15
    Max
    Max is offline
    Velodramatic
    Reputation: Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    533

    how 'bout THEM apples?

    just got back my rear am cl disc wheel. with dt revos (2,0-1,5-2,0 mm), alloy nips and light 717 disc rims it weighs in at exactly 801 g!! including the eclipse rimstrip!!!

    so that's ca. 1500 g for a tubeless disc wheelset. not bad, huh?

    but i have to admit i told my wheelbuilder to use the lightest 717 he had, and i went on to drill a 6mm hole between each pair of spoke holes, which saved around 15g


    Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

  16. #16
    Max
    Max is offline
    Velodramatic
    Reputation: Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    just got back my rear am cl disc wheel. with dt revos (2,0-1,5-2,0 mm), alloy nips and light 717 disc rims it weighs in at exactly 801 g!! including the eclipse rimstrip!!!

    so that's ca. 1500 g for a tubeless disc wheelset. not bad, huh?

    but i have to admit i told my wheelbuilder to use the lightest 717 he had, and i went on to drill a 6mm hole between each pair of spoke holes, which saved around 15g
    BTW: does anybody know how the Am Cl rims / NoTubes rims work with the old taping method? can anybody post a pic of the rim profile?


    Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,082

    AC vs. Stan's

    I can't comment on the AC quality since I haven't seen them, but be sure you are comparing cost fairly. Shipping costs can make a real mess of total cost and the price you posted for Stan's rims is suggested retail. They are available for less. Also, Stan's Olympic rims are better quality than the 355's and don't require a rimstrip (saving an additional 54+ grams per wheelset). I may end up biting my tongue on that last statement, but so far so good with WTB tires at least. I've had no problems with the new rims staying true but I have been running fairly big tires lately.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    Europe VS US...

    Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    I can't comment on the AC quality since I haven't seen them, but be sure you are comparing cost fairly. Shipping costs can make a real mess of total cost and the price you posted for Stan's rims is suggested retail. They are available for less. Also, Stan's Olympic rims are better quality than the 355's and don't require a rimstrip (saving an additional 54+ grams per wheelset). I may end up biting my tongue on that last statement, but so far so good with WTB tires at least. I've had no problems with the new rims staying true but I have been running fairly big tires lately.
    Stans rims are extremely expensive over here in Europe...that's why my statement with AC rims costing half as much is true over here.

    meanwhile i just finished lacing my Amclassic wheels: 1260g.
    not bad considering i kept the Amclassic hubs and 28/32 spoke pattern:
    Micro front hub
    05 MTB rear hub
    28/32 DT Aerolite spokes
    60 Al-nippels
    MTB 350 rims

    since i won't use these wheels as everyday wheels i didn't want to invest big $$$ in Extralite or Tune hubs. that would be a waste of money but for sure another 60 lighter. anyway - my bike should come in just UNDER 6.6 kilos when finished.

  19. #19
    Max
    Max is offline
    Velodramatic
    Reputation: Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    533
    that wheels gonna hold up well, really. been racing the micro for one season now, and they have been great


    Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

  20. #20
    Jan
    Jan is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    53

    Heylight hub

    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Micro front hub
    05 MTB rear hub
    28/32 DT Aerolite spokes
    Why don't you use the Heylight HR-19 rear hub you posted a picture of here:

    some nice Heylight parts weights

    How about reliability of those heylight hubs compared to for example Tune Mig/Mag?

  21. #21
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Are you sure about those XTR hubs? My advice, consider Chris King. Really Really consider Chris King.
    How about the Spinegry Xyclone Disc - 1610g for the set?

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    Heylight...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    Why don't you use the Heylight HR-19 rear hub you posted a picture of here:

    some nice Heylight parts weights

    How about reliability of those heylight hubs compared to for example Tune Mig/Mag?
    i got complete Amclassic wheels with new 2005 hubs which are already pretty light (ca. 205g for the rear and the Micro front weighs 67g). so there is no need to spend big $$ on a different make just for a few grams. i was tempted to buy some new Tune hubs (76/193g) but finally thought this is too much money for just 4g savings....
    Heylight hubs are good BUT the had some problems with the new series rear hubs. it sems solved by now though.
    Tune have a very good reputation for the regular hubs. the Mag 160 with carbon axle is ok to some, others suffer bearing play after just a few months...don't buy the very lightest if you want it durable, it's as easy as that.

Similar Threads

  1. Lightweight disc wheelset ideas needed
    By Tippster in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:17 PM
  2. light disc wheelset?
    By Max in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 08:21 PM
  3. Recommedations for disc wheelset.
    By DoctorJD in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
  4. A good cheap wheelset for disc brakes
    By micky in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 08:19 AM
  5. Can $500 buy lightweight and durable disc wheelset?
    By Disaster in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •