What do you think?

140 mm rear/160 mm front - 9 gramms
    Light disc brake adapters-adapter-140.jpg

160 mm rear/180 mm front - 10 gramms
    Light disc brake adapters-adapter-160.jpg

183 mm rear/203 mm front - 12 gramms
    Light disc brake adapters-adapter-183.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice! Where did you get them? A new design of yours perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    Very nice! Where did you get them? A new design of yours perhaps?
    Thank You!
    Yes, this is my own design and I made ​​them

mtbr member
    What's the material and manufacturing process? Curious engineer here

They don't look like one-offs. Are you planning on producing a run of them?

bike rider
    I'd take one to run a 203mm rotor on the back of my V10. All my other mounts are direct already.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    What's the material and manufacturing process? Curious engineer here

They don't look like one-offs. Are you planning on producing a run of them?
    Material - 2024 T4 aluminium
    manufacturing process - CNC Milling

I am already have one batch

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'd take one to run a 203mm rotor on the back of my V10. All my other mounts are direct already.
    I believed that those who are fighting for the weight, do not use a 203mm rear rotors
    but I can make 203 mm rear

bike rider
    I'm curious about aluminum alloys. What properties made you choose 2000 series? Thread strength/hardness is important in this application. Does 2000 beat out 6000 in this department? Stiffness is also important here. Does it have an advantage in that department? How much would you want for a 203mm rear?

mtbr member
    I'm curious about aluminum alloys. What properties made you choose 2000 series? Thread strength/hardness is important in this application. Does 2000 beat out 6000 in this department? Stiffness is also important here. Does it have an advantage in that department? How much would you want for a 203mm rear?
    7075 would be better, but not by much
    2024 noticeably stronger than 6061, 6061 major advantage is that it weldable
    I'll draw a 203mm rear and show you

mtbr member
    target weight about 17g
    Light disc brake adapters-brake_adapter_rr203.jpg

bike rider
    Doing a little googling makes it look like my 203mm rear Formula adapter weighs 21g. That seems too low? Anyone know the weight of standard Shimano, Formula, or Avid 203mm adapters?

mtbr member
    Doing a little googling makes it look like my 203mm rear Formula adapter weighs 21g. That seems too low? Anyone know the weight of standard Shimano, Formula, or Avid 203mm adapters?
    Disc adapters - Sick Lines ? mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

I do not think that the Formula adapter weighs 21 grams

bike rider
    So 35-38g is more likely. How much would your 17g mount cost me? I'm down to lose 17g. This V10 is becoming my favorite weight project yet. It's already likely the lightest no-compromise DH bike in the world.

mtbr member
    So 35-38g is more likely. How much would your 17g mount cost me? I'm down to lose 17g. This V10 is becoming my favorite weight project yet. It's already likely the lightest no-compromise DH bike in the world.
    see pm...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Light disc brake adapters

No offense to OP but I'm not sure you wanna take someone's self made weight shaver parts and throw them on your DH rig. Anyone can make parts lighter, how do you have any idea if they're going to hold up? Trying this on some light xc ride is one thing but throwing them on a v10 is a different ball game.

Op, did you do any stress estimates for these? How did you model dynamic stresses from braking in different situations with different speeds, rider weights, etc.? What testing have you done?

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be practical about this and save someone an expensive crash.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    No offense to OP but I'm not sure you wanna take someone's self made weight shaver parts and throw them on your DH rig. Anyone can make parts lighter, how do you have any idea if they're going to hold up? Trying this on some light xc ride is one thing but throwing them on a v10 is a different ball game.

Op, did you do any stress estimates for these? How did you model dynamic stresses from braking in different situations with different speeds, rider weights, etc.? What testing have you done?

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be practical about this and save someone an expensive crash.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    in fact, these adapters are thick enough, just the excess material removed on them

I was doing FEA for these adapters

adapters from the first message has been tested on several bikes - no problems even with the stiffness, all the same, only lighter

in fact it is not the most loaded bicycle parts, the load on them is limited by traction of tires

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Light disc brake adapters

How do you model the dynamic loads? And, again, I'm seriously not trying to bust your balls, I'm just curious.

You make a good point, when braking on a flat surface, sure the braking force is limited by traction, but in mountain biking i could foresee peak loads much higher when:

a) wheel is traveling through ruts and other features, under compression, thus causing short term peaks in the effective traction, or where the wheel is under heavy compression due to landing a jump or drop

. . . and simultaneously b) the rider is providing max breaking force

These two events together, which tend to be more frequent and more intense on a dh bike with typical dh riding, seem like they could generate much higher braking force at the caliper than in a flat braking situation. Then you've got momentum of different riders at different speeds, up to say, 38lb bike, 220+ lb rider, speeds up to 25-30mph . . . I haven't done fea in >10y, and I'm not asme, I'm not claiming i could second guess your analysis, but as far as i know this all seems quite difficult - to do FEA you've gotta tell it what force you expect, along which vector you expect it. That seems like it would require a lot of complex dynamic modeling or in the field stress measurements.

bike rider
    On my DH bike I can definitely generate high braking loads. I use a very gripy 2.7" tire and have 10" of suspension so when braking through bumps there are times when the tire is PRESSED into the ground. I ripped apart 3 American Classic hub shells by tearing the disc tabs from the flange.

I'm trusting your engineering but just saying that if you offer 7" & 8" adapters you gotta figure in the additional force that type of rider is capable of creating due to the type of bike, tires, and terrain those sizes are used on.

With 6" rotors it's pretty safe to assume they will be used with limited grip tires.

mtbr member
    From this point of view, the only sure way of testing is the real riding
    I use the rear 183 mm on my IronHorse Sunday with no problems
    These adapters are not much weaker than normal, just the material removed from the unstressed areas

again - the load on the adapter is not so great, they strapped by caliper and they must transfer the load on the bolts only, and the bolts is not very strong, have you ever heard of a bent adapter mounting bolts?

Huckin' trails

Light disc brake adapters

Quote Originally Posted by mk00 View Post
    From this point of view, the only sure way of testing is the real riding
    I use the rear 183 mm on my IronHorse Sunday with no problems
    These adapters are not much weaker than normal, just the material removed from the unstressed areas

again - the load on the adapter is not so great, they strapped by caliper and they must transfer the load on the bolts only, and the bolts is not very strong, have you ever heard of a bent adapter mounting bolts?
    Talking about bolts, how much thread lengths does the caliper bolts have in these new adaptors ? Especially the 140 and 160 ones ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Talking about bolts, how much thread lengths does the caliper bolts have in these new adaptors ? Especially the 140 and 160 ones ?
    8 mm

I think my adapters is stronger than, for example, this:
    Name:  $T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeCqeBQP(4gp,pw~~60_12.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  12.1 KB

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Big rotor + light weight = makes NO sense, IMHO

And, I'm a huge weight weenie...I weigh grease!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

bike rider
    ^Anything less than an 8" rotor is a compromise for DH. You need the large area for heat management. What's wrong with making your DH race bike as light as possible without compromising its performance? BTW, those 8" rotors are carbon and I've been racing on them all season.

mtbr member
    BTW, those 8" rotors are carbon and I've been racing on them all season.
    can you post the link?

bike rider
    Kettlecycles.com
    SFL rotors. I have 6", 7", and 8" on my three bikes. Using them with Formula organic pads until the carbon pads are ready. I cooked and glazed the pads on my 6" bike once but sanding them brought back power. Besides that everything's been perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll take a 140mm rear adapter, how much/how long till ready?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast