MaL*size=

light and cheap disk brakes?

hi:

im going to build a custom build for a friend. A kula primo frame. 1400 everything except fork.

Which is the better choice? i think the best source is ebay. What disk brakes would you buy for this build?

hayes carbon seem to be the cheapest. How do they perform? magura julie seem to be too bad. Please help me.

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Speaking of Hayes brakes for cheap, I noticed that UniversalCycles has the Hayes HFX-9 Carbon for $89.99.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...29&category=24

Max
    Velodramatic
    get deore discs! fairly light for the money and great performance. a friend of mine weighs 110 kg and rides a rocky switch, so you can imagine how he rides the downhills. no problems for him.

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    As a person who uses the HFX9's, I second the Deores. Not as light, but much better in many ways(such as modulation and reliability...).

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    As a person who uses the HFX9's, I second the Deores. Not as light, but much better in many ways(such as modulation and reliability...).
    how 'bout Formula B4 Pro?

Ok, not exactly as cheap as hayes, but not as expensive as Marta SLs either. Anyone have experienc with these?

Max
    Velodramatic
    i do, but didnt like them as much as the new OROs. the B4 lack brake power in comparison to other discs, plus i had some problems with the left lever not instantly going back to its normal position (maybe grease or oil affected the piston in the lever, but fdont ask me how it might have come in there !?!???). the lever itself is arther on the fragile side too. at the 2001 world cup in kaprun a competitor kicked it off and i became another DNF

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    As posted by others, I recommend the Shimano Deore M555's hydraulic disc brakes. Cheap and reliable.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

im using the hfx9 carbon....

...and love it, their reliability is top notch, and modulation is better than deore (thats my opinion), ive used the formula b4sl, they are also good but the levers are too noodly for me. and i broke 2 sets already so when it comes to reliability, i gave them a failing mark. i sent my brakes to thor usa, hopefully they could replace it. well in regards to the hfx 9 carbon, its probably one the best, considering the price to performance.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    i do, but didnt like them as much as the new OROs. the B4 lack brake power in comparison to other discs, plus i had some problems with the left lever not instantly going back to its normal position (maybe grease or oil affected the piston in the lever, but fdont ask me how it might have come in there !?!???). the lever itself is arther on the fragile side too. at the 2001 world cup in kaprun a competitor kicked it off and i became another DNF
    Do some homework! There was an update/upgrade kit offered free for B4 that cured a couple of problems. Then the brakes was superceded by the B4Pro+ for 2004 and ALL the B4's shortcomings were changed. B4 Pro aren't even on the market.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Max
    Velodramatic
    yeah, but i couldnt get the 2004 B4s back in 2001 when i bought the golden B4s, and when i bought the black B4 pros in 2003

i really love my OROs now though....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So why can't we get IS mount B4 Pros anymore?

Formula finally gets it all together with the B4 Pros but then they go and make them available only in post mount! I hate adapters!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

a bit off the topic

Quote Originally Posted by MaLL
    hi:

im going to build a custom build for a friend. A kula primo frame. 1400 everything except fork.

Which is the better choice? i think the best source is ebay. What disk brakes would you buy for this build?

hayes carbon seem to be the cheapest. How do they perform? magura julie seem to be too bad. Please help me.

thanks

how do you like the geometry of the kula?
    I am planning to get one for myself. It has a strange angles - 68.5 head and 70 seat.
    how does it behave on the singletrack?

mtbr member
    they do this because you can interchange post mount to IS using adaptors and still use a 160 mm rotor. if you were to want to go from IS to 74 post, you'd have to have at least a 7" rotor. so with the 74 post you can use either.

and they only make the post b/c it's easier for them, they don't have to make 2 types of brakes when adaptors can do the same thing. if you don't like adaptors, then i hope you like manitou!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It sounds like weight is a top priority in this build....why not v's?? Ive been running some avid ultimates with pauls for over a year now and love em ! Had a set of Formula B4 pros (with the upgrade kit) and had nothing but problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No adapters and no Manitou for me!

So I guess that means no new Formula brakes too! It all comes down to cost for Formula. The other things I've heard may be advantages for some, but not for me.

The industry should have put more thought into the disc brake "standard" from the start. Sometimes disc brakes seem to be more hassle than they're worth.