mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Light 1.8 to 2.0 Tire HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay i need to light up my slayer, i have 2.35 maxxis tire (875g) and i need something light, VERY light for my xc race !

I want something cheap and light !
    I saw those Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 1.8inch at 460g (They run for arround 45$ each)

Any other idea for light and cheap tire !

Alright, let's ride!
    Keep in mind that the Fire XC's have quite a bit of rolling resistance.

Take a look at the Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 and the Tioga Red Phoenix 1.95. The Kenda Karma DTC's I have weigh (actual weight on my scale) 445 and 447 grams each.

BHS MTB team member

python

Python Air Lights are about 480g. not that durable, though, and only good for non-muddy.
    I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Schwalbe is another option...2.1 Racing Ralph (450 ballpark) or the new Nobby Nic (about 500). I put a new nob on the rear and it is a great rear tire so far. Running that with a slower Kenda Nevegal sticky 2.1 on front (about 680). I probably wouldn't race with the sticky on front but this appears to be a great combo for CO front range riding, imo.

These tires aren't the cheapest though, sorry.

Trail rider and racer
    Kenda Karma DTC - An Ok tyre

Hutchinson Python Airlight??? My favorite.
    Trev!

ballbuster

I'm on both

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Kenda Karma DTC - An Ok tyre

Hutchinson Python Airlight??? My favorite.
    Depending on the course, I use Kenda Karmas, Python Airlites, or sometimes a Python rear and Karma up front.

Karmas corner way better, but Pythons roll better. Both are crazy light. I have not had durability problems with either, but Pythons sure do wear fast.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Depending on the course, I use Kenda Karmas, Python Airlites, or sometimes a Python rear and Karma up front.

Karmas corner way better, but Pythons roll better. Both are crazy light. I have not had durability problems with either, but Pythons sure do wear fast.
    I was talking about this last night.

I think the Pyhton is MUCH better cornering. I find the Karmas not to be any good at all for fast aggressive cornering and alike.... Perhaps its just me. I suppose I should caveat all of this by saying that I do mount my front python in reverse - which makes it more directional IMHO!

Durability they are fine.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    I only run Hutchinsons because they seem to have that perfect balance of durability and traction for their weight. Plus they mount extremely well on UST rims using latex. I'm using Python NG (rear) and Bulldog (front) Airlites, weighing in at 520 grams apiece. I had durability problems with the old Pythons in the rear, so I'm actually glad they weigh more now. I hope they will hold up better than in the past, plus I'm using latex instead of a tube now.

I just can't trust the Python as a front tire for my local trail conditions. It works fine in dry to slightly damp conditions, but what if it rains? The new generation tread will allow you to ride in more slippery conditions, but if the trail is wet and muddy it would still be scary. I used to love the Scorpion, so that should tell you something about my strange (-ly bad) handling skills. That sidewall tread saved me from disaster several times, but I had to cut that fatty loose to save some weight.

mtbr member

Another Vote for Kenda

I am using Kenda's almost exclusively at the moment. Kenda Karma DTC on the rear, and Kenda Kozmik Lite II Both come in under 480g, and I find both have plenty of grip, for rocky, dusty terrain; I only have very limited time on the Kozmik II though.

I also like Hutchinson Airlite Tyres- something for everyone- but not very cheap, especially if you are in Australia. Maxxis are good too, although they tend to be overweight. Continental are cool too.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfurby
    I just can't trust the Python as a front tire for my local trail conditions. It works fine in dry to slightly damp conditions, but what if it rains? The new generation tread will allow you to ride in more slippery conditions, but if the trail is wet and muddy it would still be scary. I used to love the Scorpion, so that should tell you something about my strange (-ly bad) handling skills. That sidewall tread saved me from disaster several times, but I had to cut that fatty loose to save some weight.
    Have you tried running the Python in the front in the reverse direction! Its the best way!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Have you tried running the Python in the front in the reverse direction! Its the best way!
    Yes, but I like a prominent knob to catch me when I inevitably shift my weight in the wrong direction. I live in an urban area with very twisty trails.

Hutchinson stole your secret. On the new Pythons, the reverse direction is indicated for running them as a front tire. Bulldogs also have different directions indicated. If you run them like I do, labels are both on the right side of the bike, giving you a nice clean look.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, but I like a prominent knob to catch me when I inevitably shift my weight in the wrong direction. I live in an urban area with very twisty trails.

Hutchinson stole your secret. On the new Pythons, the reverse direction is indicated for running them as a front tire. Bulldogs also have different directions indicated. If you run them like I do, labels are both on the right side of the bike, giving you a nice clean look.

Anyway, thanks to everyone i think my choice would be thoes tioga red phonix 1.8 at 360g

Any idea about their price ? (I want to climb hill fater and have less roliing ressistance then my fire xc pro 2.1 that i have now (Realy sticky tire that wear out fast,but amzing in mud))

mechmann_mtb
    the wifey rides Kenda Karmas in Stick-E. she is light/not-so-powerful so they don't wear quite as fast with her on em. very light, very good traction all around. not so good on thorn resistance

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker

Anyway, thanks to everyone i think my choice would be thoes tioga red phonix 1.8 at 360g

Any idea about their price ? (I want to climb hill fater and have less roliing ressistance then my fire xc pro 2.1 that i have now (Realy sticky tire that wear out fast,but amzing in mud))

The Tioga reds will have a great deal less rolling resistance that is sure.

From memory here in Australia can be tough to get your hands on.

Next point - they are super narrow. More like a 1.7-1.75 profile!
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Hutchinson stole your secret. On the new Pythons, the reverse direction is indicated for running them as a front tire.
    I never knew that - but then again I havent mounted a new pair in a while (Using Kenda BGs at the moment)
    Trev!

Members who have read this thread: 0