Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Let's talk bar-end

I'm old school, to a point, so I ride with bar ends. They give me a chance to change-up my hand position and more leverage for climbing. Does anybody still use them? I see a few out on the trails but nothing like back in the day

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Yes I still use them. My bike feels incomplete without them. I am also equal parts roadie and mtber, and the bar ends offer an extra hand position that feels like the brake hoods on my road bike. I like the feel and power of that position for climbing, and gets me in a perfect position for high speed riding on the flats.

mtbr member
    You could argue that bar ends are counter to weight weenie-ism in general. WW is about removing non-critical bike stuff, then agonizing about what's left, and how to make it lighter.

In addition, WW usually use carbon bars, and these in turn require inserts if you want to run bar ends - so even more weight added.

That said, I noticed some bar ends on a pretty freaking light 29er in this thread:
    2013 S-Works Epic SRAM

So, I guess you're not alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bar ends are great. The extra hand positions available on long rides really justifies the extra 51g.

mtbr member
    Great photo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Phlegm, Imo if ww was about removing non-esential components we would all be riding ss with 12"bars and one brake on 1.5 tires so to me it's about building a bike with the components you want as light as possible that does'nt fall apart when you try to ride it and also fits your budget. My first (Adroit) cost me some $$$$ and more$$$$$$ could have saved more weight. I got to the point that enough was enough, it is light and tough especialy for my weight, one can only loose soo much body weight before looking like a conc. camp serviver so a 21# mtb for a 190# rider is pretty light imo

mtbr member
    Hey Norsk - your point is valid, but I probably didn't make mine very clearly.

Since this was posted in the WW subforum, I took it as a question about if bar ends are typical on a WW bike. My guess is that in this group of people, who typically remove stuff, it's probably less common to run bar ends.

That said, it's one of those "personal fit" choices. Do you drop 100g by going to an uncomfortable saddle, or do you stick with what you like? I think bar ends is one of those personal fit types of things.

And, I did want to point out PanuV's bike (and now Tig's bike) which are examples where it works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's kool, I guess I look at as a component I prefer and would like it as light as possible,and not break or bend. That's why I brought it up. I know my kcnc on the Adroit are light but I had to tighten them so tight till the screws screatched, now they hold. I was just wondering if there aren't better just as light and over all feedback. I remember seing some a while back that looked like a oval loop that I tbought would be sweeet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    There are a few bar ends lighter than the KCNC's. Extralite make some in the 30-40g gram range. They look larger in diameter (so maybe more comfortable) that the KCNC's and have a wider clamp area.

But phlegm makes some good points about WW and bar ends and if you're chasing every last gram then they don't make much sense. For example, I could use a 90g bar, but in order to run bar ends I needed a Syntace Duraflite (143g). So with the weight of the bar ends (51g), that's an extra 94g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Bar ends are great. The extra hand positions available on long rides really justifies the extra 51g.
    Do those ends point inward so they don't extend past the width of the bar?
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    Do those ends point inward so they don't extend past the width of the bar?
    The bar ends are straight tubes but they are angled in from the clamp area. They do present a bit of a "snag" risk, but not so much with 600mm bars. Now that the trend is for running super-wide bars most trails I ride don't have much bar height vegetation.

bike rider
    Wide bars killed the bar end. They became less neccessary cuz you already have a lotof leverage on climbs and snagging them became much more of an issue. I miss them but wouldn't give up my wide bars to have my Zoom Brahma bar back.
    Keep the Country country.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

That said, it's one of those "personal fit" choices. Do you drop 100g by going to an uncomfortable saddle, or do you stick with what you like? I think bar ends is one of those personal fit types of things.

And, I did want to point out PanuV's bike (and now Tig's bike) which are examples where it works.
    Agreed.

I cant do without bar ends. Have tried it, and even with 685mm bars, ends make a big difference for me in terms of leverage, weight shift and comfort.

Going without ends would be like rocking a too short stem and cutting off 100g worth of needed seatpost and handlebar in an effort to save weight - I'd be sacrificing efficiency/comfort for a net loss.

I rock these spesh cf (115g) and love'em. There are lighter ones out there fore sure, but the contour/shape/size of these is ideal for me:

Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 01-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another good topic wide or narrow bars, I've got both with bar ends, I prsonaly prefer the old school narrower. So if you like bar ends and are trying to build or upgrade "lite" you also have to find liter bars, it just ads to the fun of it all

mtbr member
    I ride with bar ends and don't plan to give them up. My shoulder has been dislocated a few times and has some structural damage to the bone. So, having that extra hand position that rotates my arm 90 degrees is a god-send on longer rides. Yes, it's extra weight, but I just can't go without it. If I really wanted to go WW, I suppose I could remove one of the two.

I recently bought a pair of Ritchie 65mm bar ends. They were light and relatively cheap, but really are too short. They looked bigger on the website where I ordered them. They only cover about 4 of 3 fingers on my hand so I'll have to sell them and go bigger. I had an old set that were really long and quite nice on climbs, but weighed a ton.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm from the days when EVERYONE ran bar ends, but like most I quit a decade or more back. I decided to try them again on my SS... Really helped the climbing. Next a set goes on my geared bike. Grams be damned.
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anybody remember these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's talk bar-end-2013-01-29_16-04-24_292.jpg  

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk biker View Post
    Anybody remember these?
    I remember those! But I also remember not liking the feel of the shape. I prefer the round tube shape.

Quote Originally Posted by GRFSR View Post
    I'm from the days when EVERYONE ran bar ends, but like most I quit a decade or more back.
    I remember when everybody had bar ends on their bike, and how most people didn't use them because of the extra reach needed to get to the bar end. It's like seeing people on road bike bars that only ride on the tops. Some folks just prefer to sit more upright, or aren't comfortable controlling the bike from the bar ends.
    I'm equal parts roadie and MTBer, so I'm more used to the laid out position. It's more of a natural riding position for me, so I'm always reaching for the bar ends or the brake hoods/drops on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I might have the chance to try them out, I guess I'll see for myself

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Guess i'm old school too. I love them. helps in breaking up a long climb by changing position imo.

HTFU!
    Riding a SS in endurance events, I feel bar ends are a must for the leverage and the change in hand position. I almost went with the lightest offerings but ended up with the idio carbon ends (~91g) on ebay because they came in white (and go nicely with my white Ritchey WCS bar). Still, with pedals, my bike is ~19.3lbs. Not true WW by any stretch, but I elected to go with Arch rims instead of Crest, Hope hubs instead of lighter offerings etc. so strength, looks and cost all factored into the mix, along with weight...still, those silver KCNC ends do look nice, so maybe next time...

mtbr member
    These will probably look better and be lighter.

Mountain Bike Bar Ends - Ritchey Mountain Bicycle Bar Ends

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post

I have a set of those one of my bikesand they are tough, took a big hit in a bad crash that cost me some hide I do like the uniquenes of the stubs, I guess I like what everybody doesn't have, might also explain why I'm drawn to Kleins, Richy, Fat Chance,Mountain Goat just to name a few

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post

Dang, I forgot about them (happens as you get old)...and yes, they would match my bar! Nice tip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk biker View Post
    I have a set of those one of my bikesand they are tough, took a big hit in a bad crash that cost me some hide I do like the uniquenes of the stubs, I guess I like what everybody doesn't have, might also explain why I'm drawn to Kleins, Richy, Fat Chance,Mountain Goat just to name a few
    I just picked these up in black. Great size/weight!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast