mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Lefty max upgrade

hey all,
    I would like to upgrade my girlfriends lefty max 140 TPC and make it lighter. I have noticed that the carbon outer tube and fork clamp assembly is more than a half a pound lighter than the alloy one that my bike has. My girlfriend is very light and small and so I would like to keep the fork TPC and put my internals into a carbon setup to drop some weight from her bike. My girlfriend doesn't weight much and especially with her Prophet in FR she doesn't put a lot of weight on her bars and the SPV bothers her because of that. she says she can feel the harsh opening and closing of the valve everytime no matter what spring or psi we have it set at, so we want to stick with TPC.
    My two questions: Are the alloy and carbon outertube assemblies identical for the 2005 140mm Maxes so I can just do a swap?
    and the second question is: Cannondale specs the lighter titanium spring as well as the steel ones for the SPV forks and only specs steel springs for TPC. Can I use a titanium spring for her TPC fork? that would eliminate almost another 70 grams for her springweight. why doesn't cannondale have titanium specs for the TPC? anyway thanks for the info all.
    My girlfriend is fairly petite and it is ALOT harder for her to pump her bike uphill. I'm trying to get her Prophet as close to 24 pounds as I can. the way I figure it at 110 pounds, a 24 pound bike for her would be like my 185 pounds pushing a 40 pound bike uphill! well atleast that is what the ratios come out to, im sure it's not quite that simple and linear, but..... anyway any info on the carbon vs. alloy outertube and spring q's would be appreciated
    Scott

Dr Gadget is IN

$.02

I don't usually come in here - but I'm a Lefty kinda guy and wondered what you were up to. If you want a detailed answer you should try in the cannondale forum - Mendonhallcyclesmith is an expert on these questions.

From what I know - all lefty Max's have the same internal dimensions, and the various damping systems (FFD, TPC, SPV) can be swapped in and out. Parts are available thru your CDale dealer, and Mendonetc can even qoute part numbers.

One thing to think on - the carbon lefty have bonded clamps. You have to have the right stack ht for them to work, and I'm not sure how picky that is. Alloy lefty upper clamps adjust up&down and are easier. Of course, Leftys are the only CDale stuff that I have so my concerns may not be yours.......
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    There are some small differences of the outer Tubes of the carbon and alloy Lefty Max models Year 2005/2006:
    1. The upper Rebound knob assembly of the TPC+ version dosnt fit onto the Carbons upper crown (TPC+ 40,5mm SPV Carbon 45,5mm)
    2. You cant use the Rebound knob assembly of the SPV version with the TPC+ inners without heavy modifiing.

But your mayor problem will be the springs. First of all: The Ti and steel springs are interchangeable. But using the green spring you will save only 55 gramms. But even this lightest spring will probably be much to firm for an rider under 120 pounds. I am 185 pounds and use the green spring with the Carbon Lefty SPV and 20% sag. SPV pressure 40 psi. The TPC+ versions are a little softer using the same spring (about 10-15%, so nearly perfect for a 160 pound driver. If the driver useing the green TPC+ combo will only weight 110 pounds she will have two problems:
    1. It will be impossible to set the sag to more than 10%
    2. She will only use about 95mm of the available 140mm under heavy all mountain useage (drops smaller than 3 feet)

In my oppinion the Lefty Speed Carbon 110 DLR2 would be the lighter and better solution as you can adjust this fork for even the lightest drivers. By the way my girlfrend is driving a custom made Cannondale Rush weighting 22,7 pounds using this fork. It may also be a good idea reduceing the rear travel from 140mm to 125mm or less if the driver is smaller than 165cm (125mm for an 165cm driver is equal to 140mm for an 185cm driver) Sorry for my english but its not my native language.
    Christian

Members who have read this thread: 0