mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lefty max carbon xlr-- does anyone have actual weights?

Cannondale says its 1315g but I have trouble believing this as my experience with other forks makes claimed weights seem like a joke.

Another question I have about lefty forks is degradation of performance between services. Currently I am running a 2010 Fox 150 32mm talas FIT RLC and whenever I service it it feels amazing, very smooth, great small bump compliance etc, but every hour after it gets slightly worse until 30-40 hours pass and I do another service and it feels amazing again. I am wondering if the Lefty is the same way.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i weighed mine it came in at 2.9lb. without the steer tube

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks!

USED2COULD
    Yep mine was also 2.9lb without the steer tube. I use an Experimental Prototype Carbon steerer tube that weighs about 75grams. Taking the total to about 1390g with steer tube.

All of Cannondale's numbers are without the steer tube, as that obviously various based on which Cannondale steer tube / stem combo you use (or on my Niner's which tapered adapter and steer tube).
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm tbd
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I want an experimental prototype carbon steer tube. trying to get my trc in the 21lbs. range.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I want an experimental prototype carbon steer tube. trying to get my trc in the 21lbs. range.
    It is awesome and very well made but it took months and months from order until mine was fabricated and delivered.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lefty max carbon xlr-- does anyone have actual weights?

How do you like the lefty? Does the performance degrade between service intervals? For instance my fox is amazing after a dust wiper service but by 30 hours later its like a different fork, way less smooth to the point where I'd need to adjust the dampening and take some air out.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    How do you like the lefty? Does the performance degrade between service intervals? For instance my fox is amazing after a dust wiper service but by 30 hours later its like a different fork, way less smooth to the point where I'd need to adjust the dampening and take some air out.
    Disclaimer:
    This is my fourth carbon lefty (I have three at present) so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I have ridden lefty's since 2006 and have never had to overhaul a fork. The bearings do migrate and for me need to be reset about twice a year. Others reset them more frequently. I am 145 lb, I'm sure the larger riders have to reset them more frequently.

Resetting migrated bearings is a very simple procedure requiring just a shimano bottom bracket tool, and a shock pump to pump the lefty back afterwards. Total procedure takes about five minutes. As quick as changing a tire.

I have re-greased the bearings on the oldest lefty twice in seven ears now. To do that you have to remove a zip tie, slide a rubber boot apply grease and re-zip tie.

I have a friend who blew through cartridges on his headshok from the late 90's but I've had no problem on any of the damping or compression of my lefty's.

Until recently my wife would ride Rock Shox, and I also have a Manitou fork. I used to work as a tech in a bike store but that was a long time ago. I have an engineering degree (don't tell anyone I'm in marketing) and I appreciate the design of the Lefty, it really is very stiff, and light.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb