mtbr member
    Sep 2016

KTM Myroon Master - where to start?

I'm somewhat new to the light bike scene. I've built a Chinese carbon bike for my wife, but on a budget, and ended at a respectable 21lbs and change. I've done work to my other bikes in some cases losing several lbs. They're still heavy by WW standards, since they were pigs to begin with.

That said, other than a mid-range single speed, I've never had my own light and fast XC bike.

Sooo....I recently got a KTM Myroon Master. It's 22lbs dripping wet with pedals and bottle cages. There's nothing about the bike that's superlight, really, just a collection of fairly decent components that results in a decent overall weight.

Where would you start trimming?

Specs:
    Fox 32 Float fork with RL
    Sram X1 1400 Crank - not very light.
    30T Wolftooth Oval Chainring
    1150 cassette (heavy pig)
    X1 Shifter and RD
    Factory wheels (DT Swiss / KTM Team)
    Alloy Bars/Stem/ Seatpost (KTM Team)
    Ritchey Paradigm pedals
    KTM Silicone grips - love the stickiness, but heavier than stock foam grips.
    Schwalbe RoRos front and rear, tubeless. Will probably go to RaRa on rear, but essentially same weight.
    XT M8000 brakes with heavy 180mm CL rotors F/R

I hate the heavy cassette, but in consideration of longevity vs weight, I'll probably leave it alone for now and try to put some miles on it.

I'm thinking bars, seatpost (Next for both) and eventually, crank (probably Eagle). What about the rotors? Running KCNC on a bunch of bikes, I hate how heavy these are.

Am I missing anything obvious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sometimes I strike out; I guess today is that day. Three posts / 169 views and zero replies. Well, it is what it is, even if an incalculable ratio.

Thanks, anyway, for all the archived info. It's a great help by itself!

ups and downs
    Long weekends are never good for getting speedy responses, people are busy riding.

So the question is what is your target weight and budget?

Race Face Next cranks are incredibly light in a single ring.

XTR rotors are lighter than the XT, all the CL adapters > 6 bolts tend to be around the same weight so there's no huge advantage to using CL adapters and light rotors compared to XTR CL rotors.

What do those wheels weigh? That's the one spot where you might be able to save a 1/2 pound.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Oh, no worries. I was just kind of surprised no one jumped at the chance to help spend my money

I appreciate your input!

I'll check out the XTR rotors, and I think in the process I'll drop to a 160 in the back. That's more than I need.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the wheels weigh. They don't give you much info on OE stuff. I suspect you're right, however, that there's substantial gains (losses) to be had there.

I appreciate the tip on the Next crankset, too. I'll go figure out if I can find one that works with my BB. I was good up until all this Boost stuff came to the market, so I'm learning all the standards again.

mtbr member
    Wheels are X392 rims, dt comp spokes with 350 hubs, basicaly a x1700 set. Reliable wheelset but near the 1800gr

ups and downs
    So with a healthy investment in carbon wheels you could take a pound off the bike.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by nunokas View Post
    Wheels are X392 rims, dt comp spokes with 350 hubs, basicaly a x1700 set. Reliable wheelset but near the 1800gr
    Thanks for the info!

Ouch....1800 grams!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Since XX1 and X01 cassettes are lasting between 2 and 3 seasons in my area, I would go for one of those (obviously the X01).
    Grams for dollars better investment than new wheels.
    flyMTBfish