mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems

Just changed to KMC X10 SL chain after reading many great reviews here, but it doesn't seem to work with the 28T ring on the Gara. Works perfectly smoothly with 42T ring. When on 28T ring, there is a horrible creaking sound and I have had chain suck on a couple of occasions. It doesn't seem to fit the teeth of the small ring. It is unridable like this. I changed back to my XTR chain and the problem is instantly gone. I know that many people are very happy with this chain, but I would like to hear from people who use this chain with the Gara, just to know whether it is normal to have compatibility issues, or whether, perhaps, I have just got a bad chain - it came from Chain Reaction and arrived in a clear plastic bag, not the usual packaging.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-kmc-x10-sl.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    CRC and merlincycles are especially bad for this. What you've bought is an OEM product, that's the reason for the lack of manufacturers packaging but obviously this wouldn't effect the lack of compatibility.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is your XTR chain and 28 ring both well used and therefore meshed with each other.......your symptoms read thus - put a new chain on and its not meshing well. The cure for this is new ring(s). The fact that its working well on the same brand 42 (which would have a lot less use normally) also seem to indicate this.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

CuŠnto pesa?
    I've been running an X10-SL since day one on my GARA ring-set without any issues

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Is your XTR chain and 28 ring both well used and therefore meshed with each other.......your symptoms read thus - put a new chain on and its not meshing well. The cure for this is new ring(s). The fact that its working well on the same brand 42 (which would have a lot less use normally) also seem to indicate this.
    I agree here:
    changing parts in a used drivetrain can lead to shifting issues. You should have started with a new chain when using the Gara rings.The rings and chain/cassette will wear simultaneously and therefore putting on a new chain can lead to problems you describe.The teeth don't match the new chain anymore while the chain that was on works perfectly smooth. Same as if you swap out a well worn cassette and put a brandnew one on...you most probably will get worse shifting with the new cassette than you had with the well broken in (or even worn) setup before.One way to avoid this is to change chains more frequently. The longer the interval the more wear you have on the teeth of both chainrings an cassettes. Change chains more frequent and you'll get rewarded with longer lasting drivetrains...

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's not even a X10SL, it's another chain. Look closely at the cutout in the outer plates. X10SL has two slits, from each pin hole. The one you bought from CRC has one large cutout in the middle of the plate.

Ole.

Go faster!
    that's the new version Ole.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had no idea, I've never seen one like that. Thanks for the info.

I use Gara with the old X10SL, no problems.

Ole.

CuŠnto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    that's the new version Ole.
    Ditto that!

The below link is/are KMC chains that your LBS can order from BTI

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/catego...0?page=1#KM510

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys The Gara and the XTR cassette both went on the bike at the same time with a new XTR chain. I have already changed the chain once (XTR) three months ago and this is the second change. I DO NOT have any problems shifting, either at the back or the front - the shifting is a smooth as it ever was. The problem is just between the chain and the 28T Gara ring. Th chain doesn't seem to sit in the teeth properly and doesn't release well from the ring (hence chain suck). I am wondering if this small 28T ring on the Gara is just not compatible with the KMC X10 SL chain. Are there any Gara users out there that have had no problems with this chain? I should say that the 28T ring sees much less use than the 42T. I tend to use the small ring only for big hills. By the way, the Gara shifts brilliantly.
    Cheers

STS
    mtbr member
    Although you use the 28T less, because it's almost the half diameter of the big one, it wears much faster.
    I would swear if you try a new xtr chain you will have the same problem

if you put a picture of the 28T chainring we can see if it's time to replace it

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    Although you use the 28T less, because it's almost the half diameter of the big one, it wears much faster.
    I would swear if you try a new xtr chain you will have the same problem

if you put a picture of the 28T chainring we can see if it's time to replace it
    Thanks, STS. I think you might be right. I tried another almost new XTR chain today and same result, so I guess the inner ring is just worn out. I will get the bike shop to check it out for me tomorrow just to make sure.
    If it is worn out - and it seems likely - then it raises a couple of interesting points about the Gara:
    1. It wears out very quickly. Mine is four months old. It has had a lot of riding, but in summer conditions only in Australia and South Africa = warm and dry.
    2. It is very expensive to replace because you can't just change a single ring.
    I can't really afford to buy three Garas per year!
    Any suggestions for rings that are as light and shift as well as the Gara? Extralite, Specialites etc?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Perhaps it does look a little worn. What do you think?
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-gara5.jpg  

KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-gara2.jpg  

KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-gara1.jpg  

KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-gara3.jpg  

KMC X10 SL & Extralite Octaramp Gara Problems-gara4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just to look at it, it has none of the shark-fin tell-tale signs I'd expect to see. Try filing the sides of the teeth a bit to remove burrs....this will most likely remove the chainsuck issue. I have had a few chainrings run rough for the first ride or so on their last chain - this may be something that you can get past if its only that. If it skips under power however, then its toast.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Just to look at it, it has none of the shark-fin tell-tale signs I'd expect to see. Try filing the sides of the teeth a bit to remove burrs....this will most likely remove the chainsuck issue. I have had a few chainrings run rough for the first ride or so on their last chain - this may be something that you can get past if its only that. If it skips under power however, then its toast.
    Thanks, Alex. I filed a few edges today, but there really weren't any burrs or irregularities. The 28T ring looks pretty good to me. The chain doesn't skip at all. If you look closely when the pedals are turned and the chain loaded (i.e. grab the back wheel a bit to make it hard to turn the pedals) you can see it sticking on basically every link. It just doesn't release the chain early enough - hence the suck.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Should the small screws stick that far out on the backside of the 28T??
    Experimental Prototype

STS
    mtbr member
    It is worn enough
    you can try to order a titanium version to Mattias (I don't know if he still do them...)
    it will last double than the alu one

CuŠnto pesa?
    This is mine so you can compare if it helps in anyway...

I rotate between 3 chains, all X10-SL. After every ride I change the chain to a clean and lubed one..
    It's an old habit of mine that's payed off over the years of getting the most life out of my drivetrains..