Thread: Klein Palomino

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Klein Palomino

i've been offered a large palomino frame for racing next year. has anybody tried to built on of these relatively light weight? i'm thinking fox rlt 100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ML7 lighter than Truth.

My ML7 frame was lighter than my Truth (2001), but not quite as light as the newer Truth frames. The problem with building the ML7 really light is that it requires a sturdy and large diameter seatpost due to the slack seat tube angle. Also, the geometry really needs a 120 mm + fork. I tried a 100 mm and it just didn't work. A 130 mm is just right. The head tube angle stuff is sort of subjective, but the ML7 does have a rather low bottom bracket as well. The front derailleur set-up costs weight too since the only options are E-type or road w/adapter. The ML7 is also disc only.

For what it's worth, mine is under 24.5 pounds with disc brakes and big play tires. I like the bike alot, but I think I would prefer a hardtail for racing. The bike feels responsive (especially out of the saddle) and climbs really well, but I don't have enough miles on it to know if it there are any time savings (it feels faster, but I haven't measured any improvement yet). The chain rub in the small and middle chainrings is really irritating and probably can't be solved without using the road derailleur adapter. I have had some problems with suspension pivots, but they may be solved now (time will tell).

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the ML7 and Palomino, but maybe this will give you some things to check into and think about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

100mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt
    i've been offered a large palomino frame for racing next year. has anybody tried to built on of these relatively light weight? i'm thinking fox rlt 100.
    The palomino was designed around a 100mm fork NOT a 120mm fork.
    The Maverick ML7 may be different.
    My girlfriend loves her rlt 100 fork that came stock on her palomino XV.
    Her bike came in around 28 lbs - decent trailbike weight. The best thing about the palomino is that standing climbing doesn't rob all your power - it could be a little more plush going down but all in all I think its a great ride.

Mike