mtbr member
    Sep 2004

KCNC XC1 2x9 42/29T

I noticed this thread http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ic.php?t=57477 where this crankset weighed in at 662g. When I go to the KCNC web site the crankset is weighing in at 760g. Am I missing something?

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Yeah, they redesigned it, new one is lighter. They explain that in the weight weenies thread. The ISIS version can be build up even lighter.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks I did read the thread but was kind of thinking that the website would show the latest and greatest products? Guess not. Anybody know where they are selling the "NEW" KCNC cranks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    is a special front derailer needed for a 2x9 set up?

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtack
    is a special front derailer needed for a 2x9 set up?

Nope...you just use the limit screws to limit der. movement. A front road derailleur also works and drops weight.

The new K-Type cranks are now availabel and feature better bearings. Also, BB30 adapters are available.

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartpr
    A front road derailleur also works and drops weight.
    Actually, many are finding that a compact road derailleur works better than a mtb triple on these 2 x 9 cranksets
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    great thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    any recommendations on a particular road derailleur -- would have to be top pull, using with an x9 shifter. I'm having shifting troubles w/ my middleburn 2x9 setup...

Twin Six METAL
    I have a set of these cranks, just got them last week. They are on my Kona Hei Hei Supreme, replacing a set of XTR cranks. They are noticably lighter than the XTR's, and no sign of being any less stiff, which was one of the concerns I had. I have been running the XTR's as a 2x9 setup for the past season and figured since I ran it that way, I might as well drop some weight and try out a true 2x9 setup. The 42/29 is a great combo, on most courses I'll be running a Dura Ace 12-27 cassette, but this weekend for Nationals in Colorado I'll be running an XTR 11-32, just for more gears on the climbs.

I did have an issue with a terrible creaking noise after getting them setup initially. Then on each of the first 4 rides had to tighten up the non-drive side crankarm bolt. Finally on the fourth ride the bolt worked it's way out completely and the arm fell off while I was participating in a short track race. On the way home I picked up some blue locktite and put it on the bolt and reinstalled and retourqued it. Since then, the creak is gone, the bolt is still tight and this setup is rockin!
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anybody know the actual (measured) width (Q factor) of these cranks? Pretty easy to measure with a steel rule on the bike if you're careful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Hello everybody!

I have bought the XC1 crankset a mounth ago.
    I have a question if there must be in the set the red ring spacer or not
    because I can see it on some pictures in the internet but I can't see it in my parcel with XC1.
    Waiting for the answer, thanks.

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    If you purchased one of the old K-Type crankset they don't use the Red spacer ring that goes on the non-drive side. Watch out the clearance of the drive side arm and front der. when on the big ring...this was one of the reson for the current redesign of the K-Type.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    I guess I have the newer (lighter) one...in fact, I'm sure of it because it weighs 670ish. Anyway, yeah you need that red spacer on the newer one. What I found to be completely idiotic was the fact that they say to use the o-ring between the BB and BB cup, but with the recommended torque, it just mangles/ pops the o-ring right out every time. I tossed the ring and its been fine for many rides.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi
    Building from scratch and have just got hold of KCNC 42/29 cranks. Any recommendations regarding shifters and FD? Was planning to use SRAM twisters and an X9 bottom-pull. Road FD might be interesting option? (which one?)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have an SRAM XX FD waiting to be mounted as soon as my cranks arrive. I hope it will work because I have very few options since I need a 38mm clamp (Scott Scale RC frame). And at 118g it saves me ~25g compared to my current E-type XTR FD.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_E
    I have an SRAM XX FD waiting to be mounted as soon as my cranks arrive. I hope it will work because I have very few options since I need a 38mm clamp (Scott Scale RC frame). And at 118g it saves me ~25g compared to my current E-type XTR FD.
    I tuned a Dura Ace 7900 with integrated 34,9 clamp to fit my Scale. 75g without the top-pull adapter from Speen-de....with the Topl-Pull adapter in place 80g. Works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yeah - mine's going on a Mongoose with 33mm tubing so hopefully I can find a suitable bottom-pull FD without too many issues...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM
    Yeah - mine's going on a Mongoose with 33mm tubing so hopefully I can find a suitable bottom-pull FD without too many issues...
    All you need is a Dura Ace with integrated 31,8 clamp and do a similar shaving like i did above for the 38mm diameter seattube of the Scale...

bye
    nino