mtbr member
    Jan 2007

KCNC SC Pro Lite 210g

31.6x350 weighs 210g

Measures 350mm from bottom of post to saddle rail.

Minimum insertion depth is 85mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ty
    mtbr member
    Got this in the post today - 31.6 mm x 350 mm / minimum insertion 78mm - Gold !

mtbr member
    Niiiice... What size and lenght?

Edit: Sorry, saw that now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Aren't you afraid the clamp will explode?

I have a kevlar saddle to protect me from shrapnel, so I'll do you a favor and trade my glued-together ... er, I mean aerospace-bonded... KCNC SC Pro Lite for that deathtrap. SC stands for 'Super Cool', you know?

What size bolts are those?
    Does is have space for a Bud can shim?

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroMack
    Aren't you afraid the clamp will explode?
    Where the saddle rails sit it is thicker than my old USE post clamps. The top 'yokes' are not load bearing - all looks and feels strong and stable in my hands.

I have a kevlar saddle to protect me from shrapnel, so I'll do you a favor and trade my glued-together ... er, I mean aerospace-bonded... KCNC SC Pro Lite for that deathtrap. SC stands for 'Super Cool', you know?

What size bolts are those?
    Does is have space for a Bud can shim?
    Bolts are M5, but like the yokes they are not load bearing.

No need for a shim - Busweiser or otherwise - I actually have a genuine correctly sized 31.6 x 350 mm post !

SUBLIM8er
    31.6x350 weighs 210g

Measures 350mm from bottom of post to saddle rail.

Minimum insertion depth is 85mm.
    That's a bit heavy. Here's mine in 27.2/350mm @ 175g. The saddle is ca. 74g.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was a little disappointed, but I'm not too surprised. The bonded head must be upsized to make the socket big enough for a 31.6 tube.

Ty and Axis,
    Can you measure wall thickness of your posts?

ID of the KCNC is bored to shave mass from the left and right sides of the tube. My OD and ID are not perfectly concentric so I posted thickness for 4 places:

Forward- 1.46mm
    Rear- 1.45mm
    Left- 0.96mm
    Right- 0.85mm

The thinnest spot is 0.82mm. The thickest spot is 1.68mm (at the tube seam).

Ty
    mtbr member
    Ty and Axis,
    Can you measure wall thickness of your posts?
    Couldn't tell you to be honest, there is so much butting going on internally (and externally) that if I put my finger in as far a possible I can feel (from the base) first a lip, then slopping in to a thin section, then rising to a thicker section and so on.

My calipers read everything from 0.8mm to 1.67mm depending on how far I put them in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Ty.

I'm really curious to see wall thickness of the 27.2 KCNC post. I think Ti Pro Lite and SC Pro Lite use same tube, so does not matter which one.

I have a theory that the 31.6 and 27.2 have similar wall thickness because thickness is limited by dent resistance, hoop strength, and buckling strength. So, the 31.6 aluminum posts will always weigh more.

It's a bit of a letdown to buy high-zoot frame and then find that their design forces you to use heavier components. 31.6mm seatpost lets frame designers sell you a light, stiff, compact frame, but forces you to add a relatively heavy seatpost (compared to smaller diameter post).

Scott Scale is a good example of this:
    No cable stops means Scott does not need to consider brake cable tension.
    But, full-length housing is heavier.

E-type front derailleur means they don't have to worry about gorilla mechanics crushing the seat tube.
    But, E-type derailleurs are heavier than equally-priced clamp-on models.

HUGE-diameter seat tube lets them make tiny frames that win magazine awards for stiffness.
    But, long, huge seatposts are heavier.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    Where the saddle rails sit it is thicker than my old USE post clamps. The top 'yokes' are not load bearing - all looks and feels strong and stable in my hands.

Bolts are M5, but like the yokes they are not load bearing.
    As long as you sit perfectly on the middle of the saddle, this is correct. But when you're descending, or doing high speed curves in bumpy terrain, you're hovering over the back of the saddle, and occationally slamming into it, loading the front bolt and clamp. When you climb really steep stuff, you're sitting on the nose of the saddle, loading the back bolt and clamp, although not very much.

Ole.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    As long as you sit perfectly on the middle of the saddle, this is correct. But when you're descending, or doing high speed curves in bumpy terrain, you're hovering over the back of the saddle, and occationally slamming into it, loading the front bolt and clamp. When you climb really steep stuff, you're sitting on the nose of the saddle, loading the back bolt and clamp, although not very much.

Ole.
    But would you really be doing any of this type of riding on these bikes? Really now...

I run the KCNC clamp and it is the worst design ever. Total PITA, and ridiculously tough on rails. Tighten it too much, the hollow Ti rails start bending. Not enough, the seat slides all the way to the stops.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    Got this in the post today - 31.6 mm x 350 mm / minimum insertion 78mm - Gold !

Ty, where did you pick up that post?

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drainyoo
    Ty, where did you pick up that post?

www.B-T-P.de - I think Nino here on MTBR also carries them.