mtbr member

KCNC foam grips installation question...

...This may be a stupid question...

Fitting some kcnc foam grips.

Assuming the rounded portion of the grip is at the top (comfort for the heel of your hand) and the 3 squared-off sections are under the bar (for grip where your fingers wrap around)...

However, if you fit the grips this way the "KCNC" logo is upside down.

I don't care about the logo BUT did wonder why a boutique brand would make grips so the label is upside down.

Especially when they sell them to weenies and people who might be particular about the aesthetics and set-up of their bikes.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think you got it backwards, they are supposed to be fitted with the flat section pointing up. Logo will be upside up...

I also wondered the same with a pair of titec grips, but they are actually more confortabe if the flat section is up. Try the two positions and decide for yourself
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.

I did originally fit them with the rounded section under and did notice a little discomfort.

My partner actually rode the bike and said these new grips are comfy except for the ridges, why don't you put the round bit on top...

As an ex engineer, now healthcare professional I was mildly embarrassed to have fitted them that way purely on aesthetics (... the logo up the right way) without actually looking at the shape and function or giving much consideration to anatomy etc... doh.

The original fitting with flats up was a compromise in that the position of the flat section worked in the average saddle position (at least I considered that...) but as I shifted around due to climbing/descending etc etc it was uncomfortable.

Having flipped them over (round section up) they are more comfortable for me.

The logo is positioned under the bar now so you don't see it anyway and , as originally stated, is not a real concern.

Thanks for the reply.

BTW the foam grips with tuned bar plugs came in at 18g.
    They replaced a pair of Giant Anthem lock-on grips at 105g.
    = saving of 87g for $19.
    Comfort has also (now) increased.
    Ride Safe.

mtbr member
    I like the flat section under as well. They feel best right where the tips of my fingers rest on this flat section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I fit mine with correct way of logo.

BTW,I have a little bit of problem with rotating this grips on my handlebar,i try few things,but the last one was the best one I use a little bit of tube glue on handlebar,and now everything is ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    They are not upside down if you switch the grips left/right when turning them with squares facing down.

I notice the round section is thicker, so this should be facing upwards for more shock absorption, but I feel the size of the flat sections fits my hand better when they are on top than facing down. Back to ESI then maybe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoturbo View Post
    They are not upside down if you switch the grips left/right when turning them with squares facing down.

I notice the round section is thicker, so this should be facing upwards for more shock absorption, but I feel the size of the flat sections fits my hand better when they are on top than facing down. Back to ESI then maybe.
    Text will still be upside down, you just put the text from facing the front of the bike to the back
    Yes I will probably try ESI next time (no, not because of logo issue...).
    Ride Safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Text is not upside down for anyone standing in a practical position to read it. It seems you want the text on the opposite side as well, on the round part..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoturbo View Post
    Text is not upside down for anyone standing in a practical position to read it. It seems you want the text on the opposite side as well, on the round part..
    Here are images of the grips fitted with the round section facing upwards.
    (so the heel of the hand makes contact with it).
    As you can see, the bottom edge of the logo text is closest to the rounded portion.
    Therefore if the rounded portion of the grip is facing upwards, then the bottom edge of the logo text is also up...

If the bottom edge of the logo is facing the top... The logo is downside up, or 'upside down'.

If the rounded section of the grip is facing up then the bottom edge of the text is also facing the up... Facing forwards or backwards, logo still reads upside down with rounded part of the grip facing upwards.

Perhaps your KCNC grips are different to these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KCNC foam grips installation question...-kcncsmall1.jpg  

KCNC foam grips installation question...-kcncsmall2.jpg  

KCNC foam grips installation question...-kcncsmall3.jpg  

Ride Safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just installed one on mine. How do you guys keep the grips from spinning around?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hairspray.

mtbr member
    Just found this thread and I've had my KCNC foam grips installed for almost a year. I am also at a loss as to the correct installation. I too put the round portion of the grip facing towards my palms, that felt the most comfortable to me and seemed to provide the most cushion. The edge of the flat part is right under my last knuckles and my fingertips lie across the flat surface. It felt a little funny at first, but also seemed to provide a more secure grip since my fingertips were basically hooked over an edge rather than wrapped around a round surface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    +1....+2....+3 on the hairspray. Slides on, dries and is locked in place...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com