RML
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

KCNC bear bones crank?

Theres a few floating around on Ebay. Any opinions? Looking for a WW crank that is affordable so most likely not XTR (and some would debate WW-ness of xtr) FRM and extralite are also out of the question. So was thinking of ISIS set up. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Ktype is an excellent crank, rigid as lite as an XTR...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

experience

do you have back to back experience between the k-type and the new xtr? this is a question i've been asking myself for some time now and have yet to hear of personal experiences with the k-type external bearing version.

mtbr member
    where can you by the k type, ive never seen it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have the isis version. it's a great value: lightweight and reasonably stiff. the only thing is, they acheived the light weight by using straight crank arms instead of S shaped, so the Q-factor is a little wider than some other cranks.

it's 574g complete in 175mm. 142g of that is the rings, so there is some savings to be had there. (i've got some stronglight ct2's coming that should weigh about 105g for the set).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgeek
    i have the isis version. it's a great value: lightweight and reasonably stiff. the only thing is, they acheived the light weight by using straight crank arms instead of S shaped, so the Q-factor is a little wider than some other cranks.

it's 574g complete in 175mm. 142g of that is the rings, so there is some savings to be had there. (i've got some stronglight ct2's coming that should weigh about 105g for the set).
    stronglights CT2 way more than 105g...

104g for the 44 and 32 alone...usually a 22t aluminium chainring weighs about 19g so your chainrings will be around 125g/set. not much gained here

FRM rings or Extralite are really light
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    stronglights CT2 way more than 105g...

104g for the 44 and 32 alone...usually a 22t aluminium chainring weighs about 19g so your chainrings will be around 125g/set. not much gained here

FRM rings or Extralite are really light

interesting. well i'll find out for sure in a few days i guess.

their site has two different kinds of 4 arm rings. one set is listed at about the same as the ones in your pictures, and another set that is supposed to be lighter....
    Last edited by evilgeek; 01-19-2007 at 12:23 PM.

banned

never believe the manufacturer!

interesting. well i'll find out for sure in a few days i guess.

their site has two different kinds of 4 arm rings. one set is listed at about the same as the ones in your pictures, and another set that is supposed to be lighter....
    i'm sorry but i guess you will get disappointed.

the chainrings above are the supposed to be lighter CT2s. the picture is from Heinz Wittmann, owner of the lightest bike on light-bikes.com and definitely not shy to spend big bucks for lightweight parts...the 44t is light, the 32 is just plain heavy!

the other rings you talk about are heavier:
    http://www.stronglight.com/stronglig...od=104mm44et32

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the stronglight ct2 44t is equal weight than extralite?? according weight-weenies tables weight, extralirte ring (44t) weight 59 real grams. this is true? some photo that verifies it?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian xtc
    the stronglight ct2 44t is equal weight than extralite?? according weight-weenies tables weight, extralirte ring (44t) weight 59 real grams. this is true? some photo that verifies it?
    no picture but we just have a chainring thread over in a german WW-forum.
    the 44t Extralite weighs 62,2g

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well my package of new goodies arrived today, and the stronglight rings did come in overweight, but not quite as much as in your example.

claimed weights are: 57g for 44t, 32g for 32t and 16g for 22t, total = 105g.

the rings i received today are: 64.1g for the 44t, 36.0g for the 32t and 16.1g for the 22t, total = 116.2g. so that's 10.7% over.

i still saved 26g on the rings over stock, which are 83g, 41g and 18g, bringing the weight of my bearbones down to 548g.

also in my order were some continental supersonic tubes, claimed weight of 100g. they weighed 94.2g and 90.3g, averaging 7.8% under claimed weight.

RML
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    well my package of new goodies arrived today, and the stronglight rings did come in overweight, but not quite as much as in your example.

claimed weights are: 57g for 44t, 32g for 32t and 16g for 22t, total = 105g.

the rings i received today are: 64.1g for the 44t, 36.0g for the 32t and 16.1g for the 22t, total = 116.2g. so that's 10.7% over.

i still saved 26g on the rings over stock, which are 83g, 41g and 18g, bringing the weight of my bearbones down to 548g.

also in my order were some continental supersonic tubes, claimed weight of 100g. they weighed 94.2g and 90.3g, averaging 7.8% under claimed weight.
    What bottom bracket are you running?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RML
    What bottom bracket are you running?
    Thanks
    Token TK873CT

http://www.tokenproducts.com/2005/05...s.php?pc1id=30

Mine weighs 168g, and the bolts are 32g. So the total setup, cranks and bb, is now 748g. And there is some savings still to be had in the crank bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    no picture but we just have a chainring thread over in a german WW-forum.
    the 44t Extralite weighs 62,2g
    and definitively, hwhat is lightest?
    then we decided that frm of 44 is lightest, no?

when it mounts to me the crankset, I must look for the lightest chainring

banned

lightest...

Quote Originally Posted by krystian xtc
    and definitively, hwhat is lightest?
    then we decided that frm of 44 is lightest, no?

when it mounts to me the crankset, I must look for the lightest chainring
    well - if you really need 44t then it seems FRM is the lightest to start with. i could still get a couple of grams out of it by shaving.

BUT i use 42t Sugino which i also shaved from 65g to 49g and it is holding up great.
    Attached Images Attached Images