Thread: KCNC Barends

Low Rep Count

KCNC Barends

Well, I got a few late Christmas presents yesterday (from myself). My new barends arrived. I realize that the vast majority of you folks out there don't use barends and prefer wider bars but I guess I am just old school. In any case I have been running Cane Creeks for years now and the ergonomics of them can not be beat. But they weigh twice as much as the KCNC's so I figured I would give them a shot.

When I got the box I was quite excited as it simply felt like a cardboard box! To my surprise they were in the box. Just awesome. I guess if you are going to run barends you might as well have ones that weigh little to nothing.

I went with a black pair and my plan was to cut them down about 3/4". But after riding them yesterday I am thinking that I will leave them as is. I mean it wasn't going to be done in an effort to shave more weight anyway, I just didn't want the bike to look like it had frickn antlers on it.

The only grip I have is that they have a smooth finish. Unfortunately, the gloves I have been riding in are actually snowboard glove inserts that have a very slippery feel to them. Combine that with the barends and you have a little untrusty feeling whenever you transition to them. Other than the slipperiness of them due to my glove combo these things rocked. They bolted on quickly, look sleek, weigh little to nothing and have the bling of the gold fastener bolt. They also match my seatpost!

Oh, the barend plugs that came with them were too large to fit in my RaceFace bars but I still had a set that came with my ESI grips that went in just fine.

Also received my new KCNC rotors but have not bolted them up yet and probably won't until the spring when I put my nicer wheels back on the bike. Also still waiting for my ti rotor bolts to arrive so I can install them once.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    I have there seatpost and new razor rotors on the way! got a set of there bars a few months ago to replace my skinny easton ones and really liked the kcnc ones quality. so since i bent my hope rotors and snapped my seat from my seat/post combo i decided that there price's and quality are great. if i break it i can afford to replace it still.

just very curious to see how the rotors will preform.. hopefully ill get them before saturdays race so i dont have to run a warped alligator rotor..
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like the KCNC barends. Did you get the BE1 type?

I've been using these for about 4 months now. I did need to tighten the bolts to more than 4nm to stop them from rotating on my CF bars. Anti-seize on the scandium bolt threads is essential to get a proper torque reading and to prevent them from seizing up.

They are very thin walled and I've bent the end in on one of them from a crash. Weight and price are excellent though.

Low Rep Count
    My ti bolts showed up today so I went ahead and mounted my KCNC rotors this afternoon. Not a bad deal really, $74 for 2 of them. I don't know how they will perform as I don't plan on sticking my nicer wheels back on the bike until the spring. I would rather crunch up my stock wheels running over crap I can't see on the trails due to leaves and what not for now.

Not sure which model barends I have. I will have to check the box. Mine actually say to tighten to 6 NM which seems quite tight to me. I torqued mine to 5 and they held up fine yesterday. I will be taking them off and putting on some anti seize as you suggested. I really did not think about that. They are definitely thin walled.

So far I have a KCNC post, barends and rotors. Not sure what else I will do of theirs. I need some brake levers but theirs are a little over priced imo. I found a set of TR's that only cost $109 and weigh 68g. That is half the weight of the ones I have on their now but I know I am leaving alot on the table. Then again, I am also keeping $50-100 in my pocket at the same time (if I were to go with the xtra lights).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi all.
    I was also thinking about buying those KCNC bar ends, but finally ended up with these:

which I found on eBay

Edge Ultralight, they are 105mm in lenght and weight 48g (verified on my scale) and have Ti bolts
    KCNC BE1 are 115mm and weight 49g or 46g

I chose the Edge ones mainly because of their price - half the KCNC ones.
    They are "paper wall" as well, but holding fine so far.

Low Rep Count
    Damn, they look identical! Mine don't have ti bolts but the weights are about the same. I weighed mine the other day and got 43g each. So 86 total. I think mine cost me $50 as I did a best offer deal on the bay but that was the best price I could find the KCNC ones anywhere when I was looking. Wish I would have seen these.^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ... I weighed mine the other day and got 43g each. So 86 total.
    That doesn't sound right. The BE1 set pictured weighed 51g for the pair.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld
    That doesn't sound right. The BE1 set pictured weighed 51g for the pair.

Sorry, I'm an idiot! I meant to say 43 total. But since I felt like a dork after reading this I just went and reweighed them since they are not on the bike at the moment. I zero'd out the scale and came up with a total of 47 grams for the pair. That is more like it!

Sorry about that!

mtbr member
    mine started to develop holes in them - i'm assuming from my toxic sweat. thankfully i had no breakages, but i quickly changes them out.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    pictures?
    RAH!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    mine started to develop holes in them - i'm assuming from my toxic sweat. thankfully i had no breakages, but i quickly changes them out.
    Could you snap a picture and post it? I'm just curious to see.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    sorry guys, this happened probably 12 months ago and they where literally binned as soon as i noticed. the best way to describe it would be that the KCNC logo started to oxidize (i'm not an engineer so this may not be the appropriate term!).