Thread: Juicy 5

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Juicy 5

Any have the weight for Juicy 5?
    I'm using a Hayes HFX 9 XC that giving me some problem.
    Thinking of changing to the 5' and wonder if it worth the upgrade or should I go for the seven or the Mono mini instead.

Thanks in advance...

hands up who wants to die
    Bump - I'm interested in this too.

-rob in NY

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I have a friend wondering the same thing.

Here are some weights, but they don't have the ones you're after.

http://www.weightweenies.starbike.co...ype=discbrakes

The Juciy's (both 5 and 7) should be around the same weight as the Hayes. But the performance will be night and day.

If you're only changing your brakes for weight saving, then the Hope mono minis, Magura Marta/SL's andeven some Formula brakes are all worth a look.

Do a search as these light weight brakes have all been discussed at some stage...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    The Juciy's (both 5 and 7) should be around the same weight as the Hayes. But the performance will be night and day.
    What in particular do you think is so drastically different about the performance (Juicy vs. Hayes) ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    if your ganna spend the money go hopes the avids are to off-on

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    What in particular do you think is so drastically different about the performance (Juicy vs. Hayes) ?
    just from the samll amount of time I've spent on the Juciy's, i just reccon they are a much better brakes. I have seen many many problems with the Hayes.

I personally want some Magura Marta SL's to replace my hayes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I replaced my Avid Juicy 7's with Magura Marta's just last week and saved all of 220g doing so...being the weight weeine I am, the weight of the Avid's were unacceptable in comparison to the awesome modulation of the Marta's. I will admit, although they made noise, that the Avid Juicy's were more powerful than the Marta's.

The actual weight of my Avid Juicy 7's with all stock hardware and bolts:
    478g rear, 455g front

Magura Martas:
    370g rear, 350g front
    "What? Do I need a new bike? Well, of course! I still nedd a light duty trail bike, freeride bike, downhill bike, street cruiser, ultralight hardtail, unicycle, commuting bike, time trial bike, superlight roadie, and cyclocross bike! Who said that you can have too many bikes!"

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324
    I replaced my Avid Juicy 7's with Magura Marta's just last week and saved all of 220g doing so...being the weight weeine I am, the weight of the Avid's were unacceptable in comparison to the awesome modulation of the Marta's. I will admit, although they made noise, that the Avid Juicy's were more powerful than the Marta's.

The actual weight of my Avid Juicy 7's with all stock hardware and bolts:
    478g rear, 455g front

Magura Martas:
    370g rear, 350g front
    How do the marta's compare all up?? WHich is easier to install/bleed??

hands up who wants to die
    Wow - I thought that Avid Juicys were supposed to have good modulation, at least compared to Hayes.
    I'm an Avid mechanical user, and am very happy with their performance (power and modulation), but am looking to lose a little weight as well as try the hydraulic thing. I don't want a weight weenie disc brake. I just want to factor the weight into my overall considerations. I recenly picked up an 8" rotor from a Hope Mono6Ti - that will be going on whichever brake I decide on.

My friend has Hayes Mags (6"). they are totally on/off compared to the way I have my Avid CPSs set with XT levers. I don't like the no-modulation on the Hayes - plus when buying Hayes, you have to factor in the cost of replacement lines, as the stock ones are garbage.

Now those El Caminos are arriving soon - possibly to put Hayes back in the game as far as modulation goes...

Tough decisions.

-rob in NY