Thread: Jockey Wheels

mtbr member

Jockey Wheels

Can someone (nino?) advise on jockey wheels please? KCNC appear to be a good light weight with ceramic bearings and the tooth profile appears to be a good match for the stock shimano pulleys however Aluminium is hardly the best wearing material.

The Extralites appear to be the same material as Shimano but the tooth profile is no where near the stock pulley.

$70-$80 seems alot for a few grams of savings

Advice please!

mtbr member
    Anyone???

banned

well...

What are you looking for?

Weight saving? Then definitely get the Extralites. Those are the lightest that outperform any stock pulleys...I'd say at least on par with XTR /Dura Ace if not superior. There's Carbon pulleys available but besides costing quite much they usually don't last long enough and bearings aren't known to be super durable either. Extralites are the ones that do both: save weight and offer great durability.

If you want colours then get whatever aluminium pulley you like. For me that's wasted money though! Only TISO aluminium pullys offer a weight advantage over standard pulleys. All the others might be a fraction lighter but really not worth the investment.
    Aluminium pulleys "rattle". I don't like that at all.

Tooth profile is pretty much non-important as pulleys don't have any power transfer on them.All they do is keep the chain straight in a certain position. So tooth profile doesn't really matter.

Bearings: "ceramic" bearings are now praised all over. There is NO advantage at all using "ceramic" pulley bearings! German testst have shown that ALL bearings on a bike combined make for MUCH LESS than 1 Watt resistance! (that's hubs: 0.16 Watt,bottom bracket: 0.03 Watt,pedals 0.01 Watt,jockey wheels: 0,006 Watt)....so keep it real and just forget about "ceramic" bearings! Durability on those so-called ceramics is also less because the hard balls will eat through the stainless races much faster than regular stainless balls would do. A well known fact that manufacturers don't tell you when they try to sell you overpriced china bearings with ceramic balls...

Finally:
    standard pulleys weigh about 21-23g per pair
    KCNC aluminium 19g
    Tiso aluminium: 13g (just a certain model though!)
    Extralite: 9.9g
    Nobu Carbon: 8,8g

Just a sidenote:
    11t or 10t doesn't make much of a difference. The bigger tooth count is said to help in shifting precision but honestly i haven't noticed a difference at all. Then there is those saying that bigger makes for less drag...less wasted energy. Well - in that same german test they showed that some Triathletes used 15t (!!) pulleys instead of the usual 10t which mathematically saved 0.8 watts at a speed of 30 km/h /ca. 20 miles per hour...that makes them 0.04 km/h faster.....let's just keep it real, ok? A glimpse of an eye will cost them more in wind resistance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 03-10-2009 at 03:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Nino, perfect answer covering all the bases

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks nino, xtralites fit on XO? Where to buy?

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by j5ive
    Thanks nino, xtralites fit on XO? Where to buy?
    sure. get them at www.extralite.com but they cost 49EURO!

what are they made of nino? plastic or aluminum?

Go faster!
    extralite jockey wheels are made of Derlin wich is plastic!

Derlin Is Polyoxymethylene, Formaldehyde Homopolymer (POM) Acetal Homopolymer plus polytetrafluoroethylen (PTFE)
    funky stuff

I will get a new pair of KCNC aluminum jockeys that will last longer and you can get 2 pairs for the price of the extralites. -10g? just spit out once hehe

Cuánto pesa?

mtbr member
    Erm.....KCNC and Extralite are the same price give or take a few $$ and Delrin wears really well on normal pulleys so cant be any different here. Alu on the other hand can wear depending on its alloying.
    Delrin properties: http://www.plastic-products.com/spec.htm

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    Erm.....KCNC and Extralite are the same price give or take a few $$ and Delrin wears really well on normal pulleys so cant be any different here. Alu on the other hand can wear depending on its alloying.
    correct - i had KCNC on my bikes just for 2 or 3 rides but eventually had to take them off: i don't like the rattling sound of aluminium pulleys! Delrin is NOT wearing any faster. I have my extralites for about 6 years now and they are still in great shape. As mentioned above KCNC aluminium pulleys don't offer any weight advantage...for me that's just wasted money. But to some funky coloured pulleys are worth an investment...definitely not for me

Shown below some KCNCs...not worth it-really!!

there's some german-made copies of the Extralites here:
    http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pi...categoryId=278

xx-light: also 9,9g...same style than Extralite but just 39.90 euro. Availeble for Shimano and SRAM.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    KCNC pulleys cost about 20EUR Extralites cost 50EUR. I dont think that they are the same price.

As about the rattling noises on the KCNC I don’t notice any.. My kcnc are still running smooth after 2,5years, they are a bit worn, but still shift pretty well..

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    I have my extralites for about 6 years now and they are still in great shape.

That’s unbelievable! Can you post a picture of those pulleys?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt

That’s unbelievable! Can you post a picture of those pulleys?
    here you go:
    I bought 2 pairs about 6 years ago.

one pair is on my roadbike and has done at least 25-30'000km, the other pair is on my Scale LTD and may have done 12-15'000km in the same period.

they are so good i just put them on my new derailleurs...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been using KCNC on three bikes for about two years now. They seem to roll smoother (less resistance) that the stock wheels. I've never seen a stock jockey wheel that will roll around more than maybe one full rotation without stopping when spun by hand. My KCNC wheels will spin freely for about 5-6 seconds.

Now whether that makes any difference is something else!

Oh, they are definitely louder than "non-plastic" wheels.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    MUCH LESS than 1 Watt resistance! (that's hubs: 0.16 Watt,bottom bracket: 0.03 Watt,pedals 0.01 Watt,jockey wheels: 0,006 Watt)....
    Well - in that same german test they showed that some Triathletes used 15t (!!) pulleys instead of the usual 10t which mathematically saved 0.8 watts at a speed of 30 km/h /ca.
    Your numbers do not compute. There is no way to save 0.8 Watt from a component that is losing 0.006 Watt. Where did you make a mistake?

Dirty South Underdog
    I know this thread is a little old, but it's got some good info, so I figured I'd bump it.

Has anyone using these pulleys had issues with mud & stuff getting caught in the holes and binding things up? I like the KCNC pulleys, and I was thinking about trying some on my CX bike since I just toasted a set of SRAM Force ones in some bad mud a couple of weeks ago.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've raced in some pretty thick muck and have never had a problem, did mud get stuck in there yes? Was it a problem no? Mud got stuck everywhere?
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=nino]

Durability on those so-called ceramics is also less because the hard balls will eat through the stainless races much faster than regular stainless balls would do. A well known fact that manufacturers don't tell you when they try to sell you overpriced china bearings with ceramic balls...

[quote]

Geez don't you know you get the hardened steel races not stainless steel if you want bearings to last....you get good seals to keep the water and crap out.

My hybrid ceramics outlast the stainless steel bearings by at least a factor of two...oh yeah and I ride through water over the hubs quite often, and through the winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0