Expert Pushing SSer

New question here. Jenny Craig my SS (longish)...

Need a bit of advice. Currently my SS is feeling a bit overweight for what I "think" it should be. I ball park 23-24lbs right now. So where can I make some worthwhile weight reductions? Obviously a set of DT240 wheels would be nice, but don't have the coin. Maybe a Kona P2 fork in place of the existing? I have some trivial weight saving items in my parts bin for when it is rainy out, I can switch out.

So here is the current build:
    Dean Private (ebb) Steel (I know, but I am keeping)
    Dimension Disc only fork
    Cane Creek S-2 HS (keeper?)
    Avid SD 1.9 Levers
    Avid mechs (keeping, I think....)
    XT/mavic 317 (here's some fat)
    Thompson Stem (keep)
    Monkey Light Bar (keep)
    ODI Lock ons
    Easton EA50 post (could trim here?)
    WTB Saddle (cro-mo rails proly in the 350-400 g range) (Selle Flite?)
    Truvativ Hussfelt crankset (XT or LX, weight savings???)
    Salsa Ring (can't swing a Boone at $86 each)
    DX cog (have a Chris King to mount when rainy)
    Sram PC7x (keeping)
    Shimano M535 pedals (have Egg Beaters to mount when it rains)

Ahhh, tires....well, don't laugh:
    Currently have a Panaracer FR 2.4 (900+ grams of pure pleasure )..might mount the Cinder up front and put back the Panaracer Fire XC Pro on the back.

So Like Keith Bontrager says "Light, cheap, strong - pick 2"

I am trying to keep prices down (ha ha ha) but have some spending money at my disposal. So, what would you look at getting rid of? Replace with?

Thanks
    Tuff Schist

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Meat Foot....

hey there. nice bike. i used to own it before i sold it to aosty. i am the one that had Vulture eBB the frame.

i had the dean weight about 20 pounds or so when i owned it. if i recall correctly, here are some major parts that i was running;
    you dean frame (or course)
    pace rc31 fork (if you want one, PM me)
    marta discs (didn't like 'em. run xt/xtr and mono minis on my bikes now)
    dean ti post
    selle italia trans am ti rails saddle
    hugi 240/velocity vxc wheels
    xt m571 or sumthin cranks.
    foam grips
    atac pedals
    monkey lite carbon bar

hen i first built up the frame, i had a marz z2, xt/317 wheels and some avid mechs as well...heavy. i wanted a lighter bike as well.

the the pace fork and martas really helped with the weight. so did the wheels.

not sure what your budget is. but you can get silly light. that's a frame that is definately worthy of bling parts.

if ya got questions, holla.

cheers.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Alright, tires and wheels would probably be the most effective place to save weight. SO try those first

Avid Mechs are one of the heaviest disc brakes around. Like mentioned above, Marta, Hope mono minis and XTR's would all save weight (I love my Martas!).

Thompson stems are not light, but they are real dependable (as you know), so thats up to you

Lock-on grips could be replaced with Foamies. Hey, it's only about $10 to try, you may aswell give it a go

The easton seapost weighs around 270grams, similiar to a thompson. Look around for a USE seatpost, very lightweight and the only downside is setting the seat clamp up..... can be a bit of a hassle But once it's set, no worries.

Yep, look aaround for the lightest seat that is still comfortable. I used to use the WTB rocket, but now use a Selle Italia SLR, the SLR is much more comfortable!

And your cranks... XT is good option between $$, weight and stiffness. Maybe also look at raceface?

Enjoy

mtbr member
    That Pace fork would be a nice match for a Dean and cut about 400 grams.

I am not sure the Kona would save any weight as starbikes lists the p2 at 1041g,

Kinesis (Alu,) and XACD (Ti), will weigh about the same as a pace, but are not as bling!

Wheels are where 93% of the performance gain will be felt and if you are running fire 2.4 Freeride skins you have no bidness fretin over weight.

I use 2.3 scorpion/mosquitos and 2.4 mutano on my rigid but Schwalbe has a lite high volume tire that Shiggy recommends that would shave a ton of pork also, (a fat betty or something) .

The HUGE freeride firepros are sweet and cushy but slow for normal riding I have found.
    "The wheel is an extension of the foot." The Minutemen

mtbr member

savings

save 100gm get a thomson post
    save 50gm get a Ritchey WCS stem
    save 160gm get WTB Stealth rocket V saddle
    save 100gm get Kenda Blue Groove 2.3
    save 200-300gm with almost any other crankset
    That's about one pound. Not including the cranks.

Remember, each ride is an edurance event. The bike does have to last for the whole ride.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    save 100gm get a thomson post
    save 50gm get a Ritchey WCS stem
    save 160gm get WTB Stealth rocket V saddle
    save 100gm get Kenda Blue Groove 2.3
    save 200-300gm with almost any other crankset
    That's about one pound. Not including the cranks.

Remember, each ride is an edurance event. The bike does have to last for the whole ride.
    Sorry.. I agree with some of the things you said, but some of it is wrong

The thompson post in smaller diameters is actually quite heavy. the Easton weighs 270 grams(for a 27.2 in 350mm), a thompson is actually heavier at this size!

Ritchey WSC is not longer considered 'the lightweight stem to have', it has been replaced by the Syntace F99, which may even be cheaper

And if you can, consider an even lighter seat then the WTB, maybe try a SLR and see how you like it?

mtbr member

Smile No wonder.

I've been off the diet for some time.
    I was certainly wrong about the Thomson post. 100gm? BZZT! I think it is only10gm lighter.

I mentioned the Ritchey WCS becuase I've seen them at SuperBlow for $15 or $20 about six months ago. I should've mentioned that part.

I specifically mentioned the Stealth becuase it is on six of my bikes and weighs an avg. of 212gm and SUPER comfy. (We need an O face smiley)

And now the SLR.....well, it sucks! Especially on a f/s bike. Maybe on the SS it's ok because you never sit on the saddle
    "Might as well whittle a saddle out wood", the sensitive ssa screamed.

mtbr member

just weighed my SS

My full suspension SS is 25lbs with a bald rear tire, ti flask cage and Salsa bell.
    I should prolly take off the computer mount and mag as the computer hasn't been on the bike in a year. I should also dump the outer ring and remove the spare 20T ACS Claw.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    I've been off the diet for some time.
    I was certainly wrong about the Thomson post. 100gm? BZZT! I think it is only10gm lighter.

I mentioned the Ritchey WCS becuase I've seen them at SuperBlow for $15 or $20 about six months ago. I should've mentioned that part.

I specifically mentioned the Stealth becuase it is on six of my bikes and weighs an avg. of 212gm and SUPER comfy. (We need an O face smiley)

And now the SLR.....well, it sucks! Especially on a f/s bike. Maybe on the SS it's ok because you never sit on the saddle
    "Might as well whittle a saddle out wood", the sensitive ssa screamed.
    No worries

As for seats, they arevery very personal, i actually prefer the SLR to my WTB rocket.... oh well

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

'nuther thing to think about.......

Don't skimp too much on Stem weight on a Singlespeed. Bad, bad, bad idea.
    EA50 at least IMO, Monkey Lites also could be dicey. My 160 pound cousin cracked one on his Chameleon. I'd opt for the DH Monkey Lite CNT.
    Jus my $.02

Expert Pushing SSer
    Thanks all! I have a crankset on order (ordered a slightly used XT). So with that, a Flite saddle, moving tires around, getting foam grips, lighter tubes, and maybe switching wheelsets from my geared bike over to the SS for "awhile" will be all I need. I will post results, and keep my eyes open for brakes, and a different wheelset. FWIW, does not need to SS specific.

EDITED BUILD:
    Avid SD 1.9 Levers---> May get Pauls
    Avid mechs ---> Hope Mono Minis (possibly)
    XT/mavic 317 ---> May get some American Classics or DT240s laced to x317/717/ or Velocity VCX (?)
    ODI Lock ons ---> Foam grips
    WTB Saddle (cro-mo rails proly in the 350-400 g range) ---> Selle Flite
    Truvativ Hussfelt crankset ---> XT
    DX cog ---> Chris King to mount when rainy (just for giggles)
    Panaracer FR 2.4 ---> Cinder up front (not light but will save ~200 grams)
    Cinder 2.25 ---> Panaracer Fire XC Pro on the back.

Cheers,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Expert Pushing SSer
    Well, 490 grams for $150 dollars, and I still continue the quest. Next up, scab the rear wheel off the "nice" bike, get other saddle, and install the Paul levers (oh, they are jewelry)
    Pssst.....thanks MTBDad. Oh, almost forgot foam grips to be installed.
    Tuff Schist

newbie boobie.
    EDITED BUILD:
    Avid SD 1.9 Levers---> May get Pauls
    Avid mechs ---> Hope Mono Minis (possibly)
    XT/mavic 317 ---> May get some American Classics or DT240s laced to x317/717/ or Velocity VCX (?)
    ODI Lock ons ---> Foam grips
    WTB Saddle (cro-mo rails proly in the 350-400 g range) ---> Selle Flite
    Truvativ Hussfelt crankset ---> XT
    DX cog ---> Chris King to mount when rainy (just for giggles)
    Panaracer FR 2.4 ---> Cinder up front (not light but will save ~200 grams)
    Cinder 2.25 ---> Panaracer Fire XC Pro on the back.

Levers? If you're getting Mono Minis, then you don't need em.
    Cranks? Go find some Race Face Turbines on EBay for $60, and get a lightweight BB. (square, not isis)

For the bars, I would go with some carbon risers... Easton Monkey Lites?

Get either a Pace or a Ti rigid fork. Wowee.

Upgrade the wheels and tires.

If you do it right, you can easily have it 19-20.

I had a steel disc frame, rigid, at 17lbs w.o pedals.
    It ain't easy being human.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Levers? If you're getting Mono Minis, then you don't need em.
    Cranks? Go find some Race Face Turbines on EBay for $60, and get a lightweight BB. (square, not isis)

For the bars, I would go with some carbon risers... Easton Monkey Lites?

Get either a Pace or a Ti rigid fork. Wowee.

Upgrade the wheels and tires.

If you do it right, you can easily have it 19-20.

I had a steel disc frame, rigid, at 17lbs w.o pedals.
    Good call. Actually, I ended up just getting levers for the meantime. No Hopes. Went with XT cranks cuz they were cheap, and the rings can go on my geared bike at a later date. Have a Monkey Lite already. No dosh for a ti fork. Don't like the idea of a carbon fork (just me). Yes on the wheels and tires. I am just going to use my lighter weight wheels off my geared bike for now. When I get my first gold mine, then I will build up some DTs or American Classics.

Thanks.
    Tuff Schist

Members who have read this thread: 0