Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by kbike01 View Post
    I would go with Tune/Enve Combo, Enves are great!
    thanks! any experience with the ax lightness rims that are the other contender? i agree that enve rims are great, but i'm wondering if the ax rims are equally great for a rider my weight--as well as being lighter.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    39
    I have the Enve 29er Clinchers and I'm 195 and never had to true them, I went with them because they are based in the US, have a lot of good reviews about them and they stand behind their products.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I researched the Extralite hubs for along time & never found one neg. review or issue, where did you encounter the stories of durabilty on the Extralite's?
    did some more searching. there are several examples of extralite issues popping up.

    here is one:
    29er XC Carbon Race Wheels Lightest Yet

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    One of the tune hubs seems to ustilize the exact same system as dt BUT it actually looks like some precision machining has been performed. Whereas the dts looks like they cast the internals or maybe fabricated them with a hacksaw or something.




    fairwheelbikes.com • View topic - Road hub review, 28 hubs
    That Tune road hub system is what can be found on the Dezibel, really a work of art!

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    good feedback. sounds minimal with either one.

    any thoughts on the extralite hypercamber (195g) vs the hyperrear (168g) for a 29er build?
    I'm currently using the Hyperrear for my 29er. This was initially built for my WW hardtail but I loved it so much, I'm using it for my Full Sus All Mountain now. Took it apart for cleaning once. Very minor amount of dirt and water. No idea how does it compare to the Hypercamber but I am looking to buy a new hub pretty soon.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    good feedback. sounds minimal with either one.

    any thoughts on the extralite hypercamber (195g) vs the hyperrear (168g) for a 29er build?
    The engagement mechanisms are the same for both, so I think it says it all in the link above... "healthier and stiffer wheel build comapred to the already optimized HyperRear because of the 10% gain in spoke angle on the drive side."
    But since you're not that heavy, I am not sure if you would feel the difference in stiffness especially on a rear wheel and with a carbon rim.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    hi, everyone. i wanted to thank you for the comments in this thread.

    i made a decision on my wheelset.

    i decided to go with tune cannonball SL and prince hubs. i am confident both extralite and tune would be fine, so it came down to availability and price for me.

    i also decided to go with enve rims instead of AX-Lightness. i have heard good things about the AX rims (though mixed comments about warranty support), but in the end i was saving 25g per rim. i KNOW that enve will give good support if there ever is an issue.

    further, the enve rims are available in a 28h configuration, which given their stiffness and my weight seems to be a fine option. there is a small weight savings there (~16g/wheel), so that offsets the slightly heavier rim.

    i'm hopeful i made the right call, but truthfully i think any permutation of extralite / tune hub and ax / enve rim would likely be just fine.

    i plan to use this for a light hardtail build, but i also may run it in a FS on occasion (i'm buying the 12x142 conversion kit, too).

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    You can't go wrong with the ENVEs.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    dumb question, but it has been a long time since i've used QR 135 on a MTB.

    i have a frame with 135 spacing (cannondale flash). i know there are hubs out there like the dt 240 that can be converted from qr135 to 9mm thru bolt by just changing end caps.

    can the tune and extralite hubs be converted? what would i have to do?

    (i know the tune needs a separate 12x142 axle kit--for 12mm, obviously--but i am not sure if moving to thru bolt is possible.)

    thanks!

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    also--i figure the build will come in at ~1,110g for the wheel set (no rear QR).

    ny thoughts on whether a thru-bolt option would be meaningfully stiffer? the enve rims should be stiff, as should the general build. i wonder if the axle (in this hardtail) will be a source of flex.

    seems that most FS bikes these days come with thru-bolts of some sort (my last few FS bikes have had 12mm axles, and my current one is 12x142 / x-12), so i've gotten used to that.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    You need to buy axle conversion kits for either brand, I think. Should be on their websites. Here's a quick search on R2-bike:

    Achsen und Umrüstkits: CYCLE OPS Umrüstkit auf 12 x 142 mm Steckachse

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire1202 View Post
    You need to buy axle conversion kits for either brand, I think. Should be on their websites. Here's a quick search on R2-bike:

    Achsen und Umrüstkits: CYCLE OPS Umrüstkit auf 12 x 142 mm Steckachse
    thanks. i know the tune hubs come with QR135 as standard and one can replace with a 12x142 (or 12x135) axle, but my question is really whether i can use standard tune (or extralite) rear QR 135 hub with some type of 10mm thru-bolt or thru-axle.

    would i be able to do this with the same hub axle and drop outs?

    if i convert to, say, 12x135, the width is correct but does that mean that standard dropouts would no longer work?

    thank you!

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    Sorry, my knowledge on these are just theoretical as I am still using normal QR axles. Somebody here with more knowledge may come up.

  14. #39
    MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    768
    I would choose dt hubs and enve rims. tune + ax, means lighter setup but more issues. with this in mind it's up to you if you want maximum lightness, or a lot of lightness + durability and no issues.

    i would go for the second choice: enve+dt240's.

  15. #40
    MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    768
    stay away of extrlite hubs. they are not for everyday use, they are more for show bikes, to get lightest weight and no use.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    stay away of extrlite hubs. they are not for everyday use, they are more for show bikes, to get lightest weight and no use.
    I haven't heard of a single with the new Extralite HyperHubs.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire1202 View Post
    Sorry, my knowledge on these are just theoretical as I am still using normal QR axles. Somebody here with more knowledge may come up.
    no worries--i'm pretty sure the only options for tune and extralite hubs are 135mm QR or 12x135/142.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    I would choose dt hubs and enve rims. tune + ax, means lighter setup but more issues. with this in mind it's up to you if you want maximum lightness, or a lot of lightness + durability and no issues.

    i would go for the second choice: enve+dt240's.
    thanks for answering. i made a decision already: to go with the enve rims and tune hubs.

    i felt the enve rims would be a better bet for me, particularly with my location in the US with respect to proximity to enve. also, i could build them up in a 28h configuration and save most of the weight difference between the enve and ax lightness rims.

    i decided to go with tune hubs because i was not able to find anything bad about the new generations of hubs. i agree that DT hubs are bomber. i opted to save ~100g on the wheelset by doing so. it may seem insignificant, but i thought it was a good opportunity to lose weight on a light build i am doing; if the tune hubs were rated poorly, i would not have gone that route.

    i'll be able to follow up after a season of riding on them, but i'm afraid i won't know much before then.

  19. #44
    Go Hard, Or Go Home
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    thanks for answering. i made a decision already: to go with the enve rims and tune hubs.

    i felt the enve rims would be a better bet for me, particularly with my location in the US with respect to proximity to enve. also, i could build them up in a 28h configuration and save most of the weight difference between the enve and ax lightness rims.

    i decided to go with tune hubs because i was not able to find anything bad about the new generations of hubs. i agree that DT hubs are bomber. i opted to save ~100g on the wheelset by doing so. it may seem insignificant, but i thought it was a good opportunity to lose weight on a light build i am doing; if the tune hubs were rated poorly, i would not have gone that route.

    i'll be able to follow up after a season of riding on them, but i'm afraid i won't know much before then.
    Hi,

    I'm currently having almost the exact same conundrum as you have had with this thread. Do you have any updates about the ENVE / Tune combo? I'm thinking about buying an uber light race day wheelset (AX Rims w/ Extralite Hubs) and a carbon all mountain wheelset (ENVE AM Rims w/ Tune Hubs) for my Tallboy LTc. What have your experiences been with the tubular rims and the ENVE / Tune combo?

    Thanks,

    Ed

  20. #45
    metrotuned WoS
    Reputation: illnacord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,721
    The ENVE DT 240 has been flawless. Beat the shh out of them and still nothing to say. Neglect them even. On the other hand, the Reynolds carbon wheelset with Reynolds branded hubs, the rims went out of true prematurely.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,194
    And they're reliable as a Swiss bank.


    Yea, not so much.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •