mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Initial adventures in weightweenyism

G'day all,

I've been a roadie since the late 1960's, and just decided to get a mtb and try some moderate singletrack and some of the local climbs. I've gone "partial weight weeny", tempered by both budget and some practical considerations like not having paper thin sidewalls and wanting 120mm on the front.

So, I just order me up a medium Blur XC from the LBS, and intend to build it up myself. I've got most of the parts. A few thoughts:

* Some brands do pretty well on their advertised weights matching reality, and others... not so much . I weighed all the Shimano XT bits, and every one was right on the nose to within like 1-2 grams on my scale, which I consider "exact" given production tolerances and accuracy limitations of scales. The Ritchey stuff was actually a little under its ad-weight. On the other side, my advertised-at-540g-each Maxxis tires were 566 and 568 grams. The 135g (ad) San Marco saddle was 148.

* I didn't really look at other people's builds before ordering parts, and now that I have, it seems I didn't do very well . I thought I was getting pretty light stuff, but, my build on a medium frame Blur XCc is going to come in probably in the 10.4kg range including pedals, but not including accessories. I've seen people with full-susser builds under 8kg! I haven't quite figured out where I went wrong, yet.

FWIW, here's my kit:

Blur XCc med
    Full XT, except for KMC X10SL chain
    KCNC Razor brake rotors
    San Marco Aspide FX Carbon saddle
    KCNC Ti Pro Lite post
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Mt Zoom Carbon bar 640mm, flat
    Syntace F109 90mm 6deg stem
    Ritchey ergo foam grips
    Mt Zoom bar ends
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2's EXC/Exo
    Xpedo XMF08TT
    Fox Float RLC 120mm 15mm-through
    Stan's Crest / Stan's 3.3 wheelset, 2.0/1.5/2.0
    Carbon headset spacers
    Orange Seal sealant

By the time you add up all that, and the other odds and ends (misc bolts, skewers, sealant, brake oil, blah blah) I'm looking at right about 10.4kg claimed, and I figure maybe close to 11 actual, depending on how the rest of the parts come in. Add in another 6-700g of random crap strapped to the bike, like spare tube, pump, chain tool, etc, and it'll be around 11.5kg ride. Not terrible, but not in the range of what a lot of y'all are riding. And man, any more I need all the lightness I can get .

I'll probably eventually upgrade some of that, but that's a year or two down the road. Looking at getting a similar setup for the wifey (though she won't do technical stuff as I will, probably just light and flat-ish trails for her), so any tips on similiar-priced parts to sub on her build would be great.

I got the triple chainring XT stuff, BTW. There's hills here (NM) and I just can't hammer up in monster chainrings like I used to back in the 70's and 80's, so these days it's more spin the grannys and pretend . Figured the 22 would be handy. I don't think I need the big chainring though .

mtbr member
    Welcome to the cult!

As you've touched on, you can get crazy really fast with the price/gram of weight savings. You've made a lot of smart choices for components, but of course, there always seems to be something lighter if money is no object.

And yes, tires always seem to be hit-and-miss in terms of weight, and even individual tires of the same type will fluctuate quite a bit, which I found odd - but it's normal. (I'm not a tire expert, but there must be challenges in manufacturing.)

Not sure if you wanted ideas going forward, but moving to a 1X setup is a nice way to shave some weight. You'll drop your front shifter, front derailleur, and 2 rings in your case. It's a significant and relatively (in WW terms) inexpensive option. Now, before you cringe about losing the 22T granny, my previous bike had a tripple ring XTR setup, and I moved to a 28T Widgit. I absolutely did not miss the bottom two gear ratios - in fact I noticed the lack of top end gearing when I was on road sections.

Review: Widgit (1X chainring & guard)

Hope that helps a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Phlegm!

I live in a pretty hilly area with steep roads and trails. A few decades ago I think I'd have been fine with that 28 tooth, but I'm pushing 60 now and I just can't climb like when I was young (and small chainrings were 42T ) ), so I think I do need to hang onto the 22. A 22 wouldn't give me much top end, so for better or worse, I've probably got to hang onto the front derailleur, and all the weight penalties that brings.

Mostly I was wondering if I'd missed some major area to shave fat from the bike for similar prices. Like, "Oh, yes, this part is known to weigh 2X what you can get for around the same price".

I was thinking: even if I were to leave out the entire groupset - derailleurs, shifters, cassette, BB, crankset, and brakes - all that together only weighs 2.5 kg. And I've seen people with fully equipped full suss bikes that are 2.5 kg lighter than mine. Presumably they are running with crankarms and brakes and stuff . So they must have saved more than 2.5kg elsewhere. I'm really curious where that is. I think I've bought a pretty light frame in the BlurXCc...

ups and downs
    Realistically, 10.4kg would be a pretty decent weight for a FS bike based on a Blur frame and XT components. Everything from there will cost a bunch.

For example using a Race Face Next SL triple crankset would save you about 150gms but at more than double the cost of the XT cranks.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Realistically, 10.4kg would be a pretty decent weight for a FS bike based on a Blur frame and XT components. Everything from there will cost a bunch.
    Thanks for the sanity check that I haven't missed something huge.

Crankset is on my list of things to upgrade eventually. Cassette, too. Maybe next year...

ups and downs
    Here's my 10.36kg 120mm travel FS bike (with the 2.4 Mountain King's - about 10.2kg with the Race King 2.2). This carbon frame is right around 2.25kg, so a bit heavier than the Blur XCc. To get a significant weight reduction from here, I'd need a 120mm SID World Cup fork with a carbon steer tube/crown - lots of bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Initial adventures in weightweenyism-2011_1019new0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Here's my 10.36kg 120mm travel FS bike
    Nice. I've always had a soft spot for red bikes.

I just looked up that fork. Expensive indeed.

The Fox Float 32 120mm I bought was 1580g claimed, 1604 actual. I haven't cut the steerer yet though, so it'll shed a few grams from that. Maybe back down to the advertised 1580 .

*Edit* How do you like the eggbeaters?

I'd rather be riding
    I think that's a really solid build! Should be light enough to have fun on.

ups and downs
    My Fox F120 was 1650gms with cut steer tube, w/o the 15mm axle. Considering the tapered steer tube was spec'd at 1490gms in 2011, I was very disappointed, the straight steer tube was lighter than the tapered steer tube.

I like the Eggbeaters, these are the older 2Ti with Ward Ti spindles so they only weigh 184gms/pr. I've never had issues with the broken bits or loose springs that others have reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Nice. I've always had a soft spot for red bikes.

I just looked up that fork. Expensive indeed.

The Fox Float 32 120mm I bought was 1580g claimed, 1604 actual. I haven't cut the steerer yet though, so it'll shed a few grams from that. Maybe back down to the advertised 1580 .

*Edit* How do you like the eggbeaters?