mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Industry 9 Ultralite

I was wondering what all of you thought about the Industry Nine Ultralites as an everyday wheelset. I9 hubs/spokes with Stans ZTR 355 rims. I weight about 140 (tops), and ride all XC; maybe a foot or 2 hop off a ledge or whatever. Not seeking it out to huck, it's just stuff that pops up on the single track. Bike is full squish if it matters.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    should work great for your purposes. that said, for $1000 you can score MUCH lighter wheels. i bought lighter wheels for $250, but they're not all sorts of pretty and don't have hubs that nice.

mtbr member
    I haven't owned I9 products, but did build up a King/Mavic 317/DT Revolution/DT alum nip wheelset last year that came out to 1589g for $700. You could easily go with lighter DT or AC hubs for that weight and come out cheaper. Looks wise, the I9 wheels definitely look sweeter, but that's subjective, as is if you want easy-to-find replacement parts for your wheels. I'm 140 also and built my wheels myself - plenty stiff and haven't had to true them yet.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

fart knocker
    im 175 lbs. and i ride ultralites on my asr everyday with no problems. ive had to retrue them a couple of times, but thats it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    should work great for your purposes. that said, for $1000 you can score MUCH lighter wheels. i bought lighter wheels for $250, but they're not all sorts of pretty and don't have hubs that nice.
    Wow, what did you score that was lighter that 1410 grams for $250? That's one hell of a smokin deal.

I should mention, that I also get a bit of a price break due to a friend that works at a shop. Not sure exactly how much yet, but he's normally in the range of 20% off or so.

Thanks so much for the input so far guys; I really appreciate it!!

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti_racer
    Wow, what did you score that was lighter that 1410 grams for $250? That's one hell of a smokin deal.
    ZTR Olympics on WTB Laserdisc Lite's with DT Revo's and aluminium nipples.

my other one has the American Classic MTB26's with the Sapim CX-Ray's which didnt cost me much more (and look well nice).

mtbr member
    Just be aware there is some substantial differences in weight with the I9's, my ultralites came in at 1486 grams. That said, they seem to be a pretty nice wheelset, and you can have fun with custom colors etc, downside is cost and a 2 month wait to get them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with I9 Ultralite that produce squeaky sound ? My 7 months old I9 produce squeaky sound from the spoke (both rear and from) especially during uphill ride. I weight about 150 mostly XC track, any advice to avoid this ? So far trip to a bike shop to re-adjust spoke fix problem, but those annoying sound would come back after less than a month (about 200 miles).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    not enough grease while building and now they are settling in. or not enough spoke tension and they are flexing. either way take them back and get them fixed before you break a spoke. they break easy when not tensioned correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The ultralight spokes are surprisingly durable. I have been running a set of I9 XC hubs laced to Arch EX rims with UL spokes. Been running them for 3 months, 205 lb, regular 3' drops. Trued once after building, rock solid since then. No broken spokes, I was worried since I read about broken spokes, but am confident in them now.