Thread: Ibis Mojo HD3

I ride bikes

Ibis Mojo HD3

Day 1:

So far I have upgraded:
    Sram S2210 carbon crank with Absolute Black DM ring
    XTR pedals
    XM1501 Wheelset with Schwalbe HD 2.35 SS (tubeless W/ a few scoops of stans)
    Prologo Nago Evo carbon saddle
    Renthal Fatbar Carbon Bars 780
    Renthal Apex stem 50mm

The rest of the build.
    Large Carbon frame
    Xt 8000 11 speed shifter, RD, 11-42 cassette, XT chain
    Fox Float X2
    Pike RCT3 160mm
    XT 8000 Brakeset
    KS Lev 150 dropper
    Ibis seat collar
    Ibis branded Lizard skin grips

I also have a second wheelset for more gravity oriented riding with Flow EX and 2.5 Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear.

Looking to shave a little weight here and there. These Hans Dampf are getting close to replacement time. Open to changes there.

Also, I have used ESI chunky in the past. Any other lightweight grips like those?

Other suggestions?
    Love the bike and it sits just under 27lbs as is.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Day 1:

So far I have upgraded:
    Sram S2210 carbon crank with Absolute Black DM ring
    XTR pedals
    XM1501 Wheelset with Schwalbe HD 2.35 SS (tubeless W/ a few scoops of stans)
    Prologo Nago Evo carbon saddle
    Renthal Fatbar Carbon Bars 780
    Renthal Apex stem 50mm

The rest of the build.
    Large Carbon frame
    Xt 8000 11 speed shifter, RD, 11-42 cassette, XT chain
    Fox Float X2
    Pike RCT3 160mm
    XT 8000 Brakeset
    KS Lev 150 dropper
    Ibis seat collar
    Ibis branded Lizard skin grips

I also have a second wheelset for more gravity oriented riding with Flow EX and 2.5 Minion DHF front, Aggressor rear.

Looking to shave a little weight here and there. These Hans Dampf are getting close to replacement time. Open to changes there.

Also, I have used ESI chunky in the past. Any other lightweight grips like those?

Other suggestions?
    Love the bike and it sits just under 27lbs as is.
    That's a good weight for a capable bike with a pike, no doubt. I think weight savings at this point is going to start costing you a bunch and I'd probably only consider it as you wear out parts, unless you want to throw away stuff you've already bought.

Those Xpedo pedals come in nearly 100g lighter than XTR, the version I got for $120 about 80g lighter. The Xpedo also have a 175lb weight limit and I wouldn't use them for much more than XC. I have XTRs too and they are solid.

Next SL G4s are still a good bit lighter than SRAM, due to the big alloy spindle.

SRAM drivetrains also save a bit of weight and though I used to be against SRAM due to shoddy design/quality, that was back then and now they are making great stuff. The X01 cassette saves a good deal over the Shimano 11spd.

Same with wheels, those aren't terribly heavy, you could save a bit of weight with a carbon rim and DT240 type setup, but it would be majorly expensive to do so.

I probably wouldn't go with lighter bars, I have some CB bars on my fatbike that are the same width, but lighter, but man, that carbon is so thin it scares me for any other kind of riding. I think to keep this as a trail bike that can do some AM stuff, you'd want to keep those Renthals.

I don't know, for the kind of bike that is, you're going to hit the "wall" pretty soon IMO and start compromising the strength and capability. You could save weight without doing so, but it's going to be expensive, wheels, cranks, switching to SRAM drivetrain, etc., and after that, you might save a pound. Otherwise I'd think the other kind of weight saving, like lighter rotors, those Xpedo pedals, a lighter handlebar, would get stupid real fast and make the bike less capable/safe.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Those Xpedo pedals come in nearly 100g lighter than XTR, the version I got for $120 about 80g lighter. The Xpedo also have a 175lb weight limit and I wouldn't use them for much more than XC. I have XTRs too and they are solid.
    I weigh 175 and do drops and jumps. Probably should skip those pedals.

Next SL G4s are still a good bit lighter than SRAM, due to the big alloy spindle.

SRAM drivetrains also save a bit of weight and though I used to be against SRAM due to shoddy design/quality, that was back then and now they are making great stuff. The X01 cassette saves a good deal over the Shimano 11spd.
    I will probably shop for a good deal on an XD driver and X01 cassette for this wheelset. It is just really hard to justify the cost on an item that will only last a season when I can get the XT cassettes for $60
    Same with wheels, those aren't terribly heavy, you could save a bit of weight with a carbon rim and DT240 type setup, but it would be majorly expensive to do so.
    The wheelset weighs 1610g with tape and valves. The hubs are basically a 240 hub but a bit lighter. I can probably easily drop 100g off of each rim with some carbon. I have been looking at LB rims.
    I probably wouldn't go with lighter bars, I have some CB bars on my fatbike that are the same width, but lighter, but man, that carbon is so thin it scares me for any other kind of riding. I think to keep this as a trail bike that can do some AM stuff, you'd want to keep those Renthals.
    Probably going to keep the bars and stem.
    I don't know, for the kind of bike that is, you're going to hit the "wall" pretty soon IMO and start compromising the strength and capability. You could save weight without doing so, but it's going to be expensive, wheels, cranks, switching to SRAM drivetrain, etc., and after that, you might save a pound. Otherwise I'd think the other kind of weight saving, like lighter rotors, those Xpedo pedals, a lighter handlebar, would get stupid real fast and make the bike less capable/safe.
    If I can drop .5-75 lbs without sacrificing any performance I am all for it. A friend told me to get a regular fox shock to replace the X2 and save weight. I laughed.

Thanks for the input!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I weigh 175 and do drops and jumps. Probably should skip those pedals.

I will probably shop for a good deal on an XD driver and X01 cassette for this wheelset. It is just really hard to justify the cost on an item that will only last a season when I can get the XT cassettes for $60
    Yep, that's the thing. At 265g the X01 (and supposedly it's the same weight as XX1) is a good chunk of weight saved, especially compared to an 11spd XT of similar range, but you definitely pay for that and it requires all the "supporting mods".
    The wheelset weighs 1610g with tape and valves. The hubs are basically a 240 hub but a bit lighter. I can probably easily drop 100g off of each rim with some carbon. I have been looking at LB rims.
    Didn't realize those hubs were that light, that's one light wheelset for the price if what I'm seeing online is the same thing, but yes, you can still save some significant weight with carbon rims. I have LB fat rims and nexties on my other bikes. All solid.
    If I can drop .5-75 lbs without sacrificing any performance I am all for it. A friend told me to get a regular fox shock to replace the X2 and save weight. I laughed.

Thanks for the input!
    Yep, you won't see me criticizing the shock choice or suggesting otherwise. I assumed that was on there for a reason.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You can go lower than that.

My medium black HD3 with Fox 34 150, Fox Float (not X2), DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon wheelset (right at 1400 grams with tape and valves), Race Face Next SL, XTR (XX1 1042 cassette), NN 2.35/2.35, Renthal stem/bar/grips, Volt Carbon saddle, is at 24 pounds.

From where you are it will be hard to save much unless you change wheelset, cranks, and cassette (but you'd need a new driver).

Unfortunately I just bought a Pike RC Dual 160/130 that might add up to 200 grams and eventually I will get a REVIVE drop post | BikeYoke adding another 250 grams or so (nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!). Plan is to beef up the HD3 and move the lighter parts on a Mojo 3.
    Last edited by Davide; 10-29-2016 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm putting together an AM bike this winter, I kept flipping a coin for weight and durability. Other than rims, I'll be using next cranks and an e13 cassette. So I can use a smaller chain ring as well. Those 2 options might get you 400+ grams from what you're using.