mtbr member

Ibis HD3 Final Configuration: 23.3 pounds

Not bad, with XTR trail pedals is 24.1.

Ibis HD3 Final Configuration: 23.3 pounds-.jpg

I am not sure where else to shave off weight without compromising aggressive trail performance. Half-a-pound or so could be shaved off the stem (Enve, maybe 30-35 less), and maybe seat post and seat (60 less, Ax-Lightness), going back to the Fox 34 (the Pike dual adds 147 grams, but it regains with change going uphill), and the grips (50 less using Renthal push on, but I LOVE the Renthal Traction!), or I could do silly things like carbon rotors (could do rear but nobody seem to make them for centerlock). Otherwise only "solution" for a lighter bike it to look into a 110-130 travel beast.

Ibis HD3 Final Configuration: 23.3 pounds-img_0118.jpg

Measured weight, after washing and drying, adds 50 grams.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Great build, but you know that "sans pedals" number is cheating a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Great build, but you know that "sans pedals" number is cheating a bit.
    Guilty! although I plan to get the HT M1T Leopard (or the XTR Race).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn those are some light wheels.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Damn those are some light wheels.
    If I had one set of all-around wheels today, it would be the XMC 1200s.

I see them spec'd on everything from XC race bikes to high end long travel trail bikes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Speaking of wheels, what rear thru axle are you using? I don't see it on the sheet. Maybe that's the missing 50g you noticed when actually weighing.

Illuminati
    bolt on wheel axles, wren stem, more alu & ti bolts, should loose another 1/4lb if not more.
    regardless for such a long travel bike thats pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Speaking of wheels, what rear thru axle are you using? I don't see it on the sheet. Maybe that's the missing 50g you noticed when actually weighing.
    I am using the Ibis "bolt on", 42 grams, and I think its weight was included in the frame, or so say my excel spreadsheet notes.

Scant: Front axle is also "bolt on" (Maxle Lite) and all bolts are titanium, aluminum or nylon, with the exception of the stem face plate, and calipers bolts that are the original steel. Discs are center lock, no bolts!
    Last edited by Davide; 12-01-2016 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice build, but a few parts are really low hanging fruit in terms of easy weight saving. Primarily, the seatpost is surprisingly heavy if your claimed weight of 220 grams is accurate. You don't even need to go into exotic German brands to lose 60 grams, a regular New Ultimate aluminium post would shave 60 grams for you (https://r2-bike.com/New-Ultimate-Sea...m-Alloy-350-mm). However, I'd like to point out that it's incredibly weird not seeing a dropper post on a 150 mm trail rig, and with the same philosophy that you presented about the weight of the Pike fork paying dividend on the downhills, the added weight of a dropper should be a no-brainer. The stem and the grips are next up, where you could have another 90 grams perhaps if you go Enve and ESI Chunky (a personal favourite of mine). If you're running a 160 mm rotor, you can swap for the Hope Race rotor at 79 grams.

Just my few cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Nice build, but a few parts are really low hanging fruit in terms of easy weight saving. Primarily, the seatpost is surprisingly heavy if your claimed weight of 220 grams is accurate. You don't even need to go into exotic German brands to lose 60 grams, a regular New Ultimate aluminium post would shave 60 grams for you (https://r2-bike.com/New-Ultimate-Sea...m-Alloy-350-mm). However, I'd like to point out that it's incredibly weird not seeing a dropper post on a 150 mm trail rig, and with the same philosophy that you presented about the weight of the Pike fork paying dividend on the downhills, the added weight of a dropper should be a no-brainer. The stem and the grips are next up, where you could have another 90 grams perhaps if you go Enve and ESI Chunky (a personal favourite of mine). If you're running a 160 mm rotor, you can swap for the Hope Race rotor at 79 grams.

Just my few cents.
    Yeah, maybe .. but on some components I rather not compromise:

• the seatpost is indeed 220 grams (after cutting a little chunk, Race Face I think declares 250, for the 410 post, I might cut more) but most of the weight comes from the head, not the tube. It has nice wide long guides (not those scary tiny ... points), and a big nice long top, solid, strong and excellent for the carbon rails of the Volt saddle!
    • The dropper? The fact that it shows on most bike does not mean one needs it. I certainly do not need one on the trails I take (GG Park, Sutro, China Camp, Annabelle, Tamarancho, etc..)
    • Enve stem, yes as I mentioned it would save 30 grams, but the Renthal is so good ... best stem in 30 years.
    • ESI grips, no thanks, I hate those, and I found Nirvana with the Renthal Traction! They REALLY improved the quality and comfort of my riding!
    • Hope Race X2 comes only in 6 bolts configuration and ends up probably weighting close to the DT center-lock hub + XTR ... and I love Center lock ...

But, having said all that I might be building a Norco Revolver FS (what at horrible name for a bike: first thing I will do is to erase the name from the frame!) and then I will take the AX-lightness post+saddle combo to save some extra grams, maybe use Renthal push-on, even get a carbon disc ... target sub 21 pounds will take some doing!

PS Nice website, with lots of weights! Thank you!
    Last edited by Davide; 11-29-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    you can swap for the Hope Race rotor at 79 grams.
    that reminds me...out of curiosity does anyone know anywhere that still stocks the Hope Race rotor in either 140 or 160mm please?

mtbr member
    ah! found 15 grams: the disk brake 160 to 180 adapter, and I am missing the mounting bolts and spacers for front and rear.

Dropshot Champ!
    While impressive, I always backup the spreadsheet numbers with a scale picture. 9x out of 10, something is forgotten in the spreadsheet that rears it's ugly head in a scale pic!

Either way, nice work! +1 on dropper it's weight well worth it.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    While impressive, I always backup the spreadsheet numbers with a scale picture. 9x out of 10, something is forgotten in the spreadsheet that rears it's ugly head in a scale pic!

Exactly. I don't usually see "tire air" listed, but that's ~4g.

Specialized
    Exactly. I don't usually see "tire air" listed, but that's ~4g.
    Don't forget grease and oil . Actually that is taken seriously . I weighed my brake fluid (Weighed the bottle empty, weighed the bottle full and subtracted and then weighed the bottle after filling the brakes and subtracted again ) . 30grams for brake fluid .

bike rider
    Nice ride sir.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How'd you get 2683g for the frame and shock? My HD3 is that weight without the shock. I was trying hard to get my HD3 to 12.5kg, but just can't get there.
    It's currently 13.5kg on the scales, and 13kg on paper -

Ibis HD3 Final Configuration: 23.3 pounds-bike-weights.png

Keen for feedback on any wins.. Also where the 500grams are in the difference between paper and real world weight..

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike weights.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1127645

Keen for feedback on any wins.. Also where the 500grams are in the difference between paper and real world weight..
    I can take some guesses as to the source of the mystery 500g, since some line items are unclear:

-nipples & spokes (you called out the hubs separately, so wonder if the "wheel" items are just the hoops?)
    -sealant (some people can put 120g worth in a single tire, or, if you've had to refill sealant a bit, the snotty stuff remaining in the tire remains)
    -brake fluid
    -brake hoses and shifter cable housing (unsure if included in your weights)
    -bolts for rotors
    -endcaps for grips (if applicable)
    -did you include the shimano freehub weight?
    -any brake adapters? (mostly typically to go from native 160mm up front to 180)
    -front "skewer" (not a skewer) as a Rockshox 15mm should weigh closer to 75g, not the 40g shown
    -air in tire (tyres) - 5g
    -a lot of your weights are rounded to zeros or fives. I suspect you're rounding or maybe guessing on some items?
    Last edited by phlegm; 03-24-2017 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    How'd you get 2683g for the frame and shock? My HD3 is that weight without the shock. I was trying hard to get my HD3 to 12.5kg, but just can't get there.
    hum ... mine is a medium, in black (no paint) and with Fox air shock ... it does match other weights that can be found on the Ibis forum (5.9 and change) and the total comes out about right (although I might have omitted the rear axle, which is 42 grams ... hum maybe I should disassemble and measure again )

It is a light build just around 24-24.5 depending on front tire ... I am finishing my Norco Olve build and it is coming out only 2-2.5 pounds lighter ...

Elitest thrill junkie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike weights.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1127645

46g for a non-cinch chainring? No way. My 32t NW cinch was around 70g. I'd also be suspect of the saddle, pedals, brakes, dropper post, and a few others. Having weighed my nextie and LB rims, they are close to the targets, but not quite there, so most likely what you have is many components that weigh a bit more than claimed or just didn't take into account some of the extras associated, like spacers, lines, cables, etc. If you really want to weight-weenie it, you buy in small batches, weigh, and make further decisions based on what you weigh. You might be "ok" or you might have to go further down the rabbit hole to meet your target, but you'll have a lot harder time buying everything at once, because you are "stuck" with what you get.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    46g for a non-cinch chainring? No way. My 32t NW cinch was around 70g. I'd also be suspect of the saddle, pedals, brakes, dropper post, and a few others. Having weighed my nextie and LB rims, they are close to the targets, but not quite there, so most likely what you have is many components that weigh a bit more than claimed or just didn't take into account some of the extras associated, like spacers, lines, cables, etc. If you really want to weight-weenie it, you buy in small batches, weigh, and make further decisions based on what you weigh. You might be "ok" or you might have to go further down the rabbit hole to meet your target, but you'll have a lot harder time buying everything at once, because you are "stuck" with what you get.
    ...and I didn't do a good job in explaining earlier that a lot of the weights in the OPs list end with zeroes and fives. Seems to me like a lot of items are either estimated, or rounded. That will all add up.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    46g for a non-cinch chainring? No way. My 32t NW cinch was around 70g.
    Are you doubting the weight could be that high or that low for a non-Cinch chainring?

My 32T Race Face n/w non-Cinch (104mm BCD) chainring is 37 g. The Cinch version (also n/w 32T by Race Face) that I have on my other bike weighs 67 g.

Cinch rings are much heavier because the spider/carrier is incorporated into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post

Cinch rings are much heavier because the spider/carrier is incorporated into them.
    Yes, but the end result is a lighter crank set. Arms and spindle my Race Face NEXT SL G4 is 362 grams, + 7 for lock ring, Garbaruk Melon 30 is 58 grams = 427 total ...

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Yes, but the end result is a lighter crank set. Arms and spindle my Race Face NEXT SL G4 is 362 grams, + 7 for lock ring
    I'm aware of this; I have one.