mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I was thinking of a XTC or 8500, but how about........

an '05 Gary Fisher Ziggurat? Does anybody have one and how much does the frame/bike weight?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I own the 8500, and sure I would have gotten something lighter, better, but this is a solid bike that will last, is stiff, and I pocketed the extramoney for component upgrades.... It is certainly lighter than the Ziggurrat and a personally hate the genesis geometry...
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    If you can wait for the newer full carbon XTC, it'll be worth it. Even the aluminum XTC with carbon stays is lightest. It's also surprizingly durable, and after facing the bb, headtube and smoothing the seattube, the quality is just like anything else out there. It also looks hot and rides really nicely.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    if you want it light and cheape get the full aluminum xtc. the xtc aluminum with carbon rear end is a waste of money in my opinion as its heavier than the full aluminum version adn those carbon stays dont improve confort at all. i have a xtc team 04 and its a nice frame, well made,cheap,light and smooth.

the 05 all carbon xtc frame is superb, but the price is super too.

what about a salsa bandito scandium frame? trek frames are usually heavy and expensive.
    Last edited by carlos; 01-27-2005 at 10:13 AM.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    if you want it light and cheape get the full aluminum xtc. the xtc aluminum with carbon rear end is a waste of money in my opinion as its heavier than the full aluminum version adn those carbon stays dont improve confort at all. [/IMG]
    It's not true. My 2004 XTC Hybrid (carbon rear end) in size M is 1565 gr with seat collar + insert w/o screws or canti boss, the 2003 XTC full aluminum was 1615 gr with the same setup. Comfort and stiffness is a better too with the hybrid, but I'm not sure either if its worth the extra cost...

-b

mtbr member
    yes its true. carbon/alu frames are heavier than all alu frames. and about the confort, i tested both frames for about a week each and came to the conclusion that i simply cannot feel any difference. and i was testing with the same tires,wheels,pressure,seatpost and seat. maybe if i had ride on the road i would feel but on the trail i definetly didnt.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    yes its true. carbon/alu frames are heavier than all alu frames. and about the confort, i tested both frames for about a week each and came to the conclusion that i simply cannot feel any difference. and i was testing with the same tires,wheels,pressure,seatpost and seat. maybe if i had ride on the road i would feel but on the trail i definetly didnt.
    I used my 2003 XTC for one season, and have the hybrid since October. They were both measured with the same scale. There is a 50 gr difference, which is almost nothing, but it is still there. What you say is usually true with road frames, but not in the case of the Giant XTC. I think the Hybrid is a good design, but Giant should be listing it cheaper... In the case of my frame, it was on sale and only 20% more expensive than the aluminum XTC. I think thats a realistic difference...

-b

mtbr member
    ha! so i was right i agree that the hybrid xtc is very nice looking and i would get it anytime if i had a deal like you had.

hey
    ho
    lets go!

XC CONVERT
    Apr 2004
    Just to let you guys know, I have the new Giant XTC Composite in 21" form. It's frickin gorgeous! The weight with seatpost clamp, bottle bolts and without rear v-brake posts is 1303 grams.

XC CONVERT
    Apr 2004
    Just to let you guys know, I have the new Giant XTC Composite in 21" form. It's frickin gorgeous! The weight with seatpost clamp, bottle bolts and without rear v-brake posts is 1303 grams.I paid 12 LARGE for it.