jrd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I need to shed 6lbs... not in my waist

Hopefully someone can give me a little direction,

I've been riding for about four years, racing for a year (off-road tri), and just bought my first full suspension. I am getting more involved with off-road triathlons but I wanted a tough bike that I could huck as well. I ended up settling for a custom built up 2005 Trek Liquid 25. A guy built it up and was getting rid of it on ebay. It was a decent deal so I went for it. Here are the specs;

2005 Rock Shox Pike Team U-turn 95mm-140mm 20mm Maxle
    Manitou Swinger 3-way 125mm
    FSA FR 230
    Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8
    Hayes HFX-9
    Sram x-7 RD: Sram x-7
    Shimano LX
    Haro Pivit sealed bearing disc hubs laced to Sun Singletracks
    Kona Jackshits
    Bontrager big earl with bash guard
    Maxxis Ignitor and dynomite
    Cassette: Sram 950.
    Seatpost: Bontrager Race.
    Saddle: Bontrager Race w/hollow rails.

It rides great but it ways around 35 or 36 lbs. I'd love to get it down a bit. I plan on going XO on the front and rear derailler eventually. I have a feeling the best place to drop is in the handlebars, stem, and post but I just don't know whats out there that is strong enough for a few six foot drops every now and then besides DH gear. If you have any thoughts, I'd love to listen.

Thanks

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail rider and racer
    WOW, you have a big task ahead of you. Sorry but in all honesty, wrong bike if you want it really light I think..

Here we go:

- Get rid of the 20mm Thru Axle
    - Get rid of the FR230
    - Get Rid of the cranks
    - Get rid of the Hyaes
    - Get rid of the X7 for XO
    - Get rid of Wheelset for something lighter. Am Classic or hugi and some triple or double butted spokes
    - Bash guard needs removing - off road racing and the odd huck definately do not need a guard.

Your riding conflicts with perhaps the am classic hubs suggestion (I know) but if you want to loose 6lbs you need to work on everything!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Hopefully someone can give me a little direction,

I've been riding for about four years, racing for a year (off-road tri), and just bought my first full suspension. I am getting more involved with off-road triathlons but I wanted a tough bike that I could huck as well.
    I think you'll need a second bike... Someting like a nice scandium hardtail..? I don't think that the Liquid is gonna be a racebike almost how the setup is...

jrd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah. I would love a second bike but college costs limit my choices. I probably should have said "rugged trail bike" as opposed to "huck" bike. I'm just looking for some other parts that can take a beating without the brute weight of the Husselfelt series. I'm just unsure about whats out there. A riding friend of mine suggested looking into alloy for the post, stem, and handlebars, do you know of any specifics or if it is even a decent suggestion to begin with.

The XO components are on the list for sure. Definitley before next season. Thanks for your help Trevor, let me know if you can think of anything.

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are in luck. Just last night I was working and researching on how to drop weight on my '03 Liquid 10. Made a simple spreadsheet even.

Turns out almost EVERYTHING would have to be changed on my Liquid to something lighter in order for my 32lbs stock bike to drop 6lbs. That is way too expensive and not worth it in my book.

I will tell you that the largest weight saving for MY case were in this order:
    1. Tires , I'd save about 590 grams
    2. Fork, I'd save about 400 grams
    3. Wheel sets, I'd save about 285 grams
    4. Inner tubes, I'd save about 230 grams
    5. Pedals, I'd save about 230 grams
    6 Seat post, I'd save about 175 grams
    7. rest are smaller gains yet

I looked at getting every new component real light weight with out worrying about cost i.e. I looked at EggBeater Ti3, Manitou Black Platium Air 120 IT, etc.

Far as best value of losing weight:
    1. Tubes
    2. Tires
    all the rest not cheap upgrades per grams saved
    3. Forks
    4. Handle bar
    5. Pedals
    Worst value was Stem and Wheel set

Overall IMO, save up and buy a lighter bike or at best, just do a few value upgrades.

Don't touch me!
    Drop those reflectors, add some foamies and bolt-ons, and bam! You still have 5.5+ #s to lose. Savings: maybe 200 grams. Cost: $25.

You are looking at some serious coin to drop the rest of that weight; around 4 figures (no decimals). Of course there's always eBay... and a spare kidney.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

Members who have read this thread: 0