mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hygia Usagi Brake sets on sale

I thought about posting this in the Best Deals forum but figured mostly weight weenies would be interested. I ordered the full Usagi set from the Hygia website shop live section for $120 plus $35 shipping. Available in black or white and normally $219. The best price currently on Ebay is $192 with free shipping so a savings of almost $40. The set includes rotors, calipers, levers, hoses, hardware, and mount adaptors (if you need them) and if you are not familiar with them they weigh quite a bit less than XTR and only slightly more than the R1s. The Usagi is exactly the same as the SLP but slightly (10 grams) heavier rotors. they come in at about 625 grams for rotors (160), calipers, hoses, levers and hardware, plus 70 grams for adaptors if you use them.

The best part about ordering from Hygia directly is that you can substitute larger disks, stainless or colored hoses, carbon levers etc, an option you don't have on Ebay. 4 days to get to Wisconsin from Taiwan, unbelievable. These are not all mountain brakes but will work fine for the way I ride. Do a google search, there are some good reviews besides MTBR. Mine are black and came with the red anodized reservoir cover and adjustment screw, they look pretty sharp.

edit: just did the math again and it looks like it comes to just under 700 grams. Sorry
    Last edited by robc in wi; 12-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Good brakes. Mine came in at 680g including the alligator rotors (160mm front/140mm rear) and XTR adapters/mounting brackets. Think i picked mine up for about 120 ($200-$250 ish) off Ebay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    The Usagi is exactly the same as the SLP but slightly (10 grams) heavier rotors.
    SLP has a once piece caliper, Usage is in two pieces held together by a couple of bolts. In reality, performance is probably the same.

Dealextreme have the Usagi's rebranded as "AEST YHDB540" for $120 delivered, but delivery will probably be slow and there's no choice like from the Hygia online shop.

Good find robc in wi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the correction on the SLP, I read that on one of the review websites. Funny, the SLP is not even shown on Hygia's website any more but I think that there are still some on Ebay. Anyway, a pretty light brakeset with decent performance for weight weenie wanabees on a budget like me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah its funny that the SLP has disappeared.

mtbr member
    They're decent brakes. Mine need bleeding and only running 160/140 but still plenty enough power for me. For the price, you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    hmmm, did I miss the sale? or am I looking in the wrong place. All I can find is listing for $215 for a set here

USAGI-White Full Complete Set

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry, sale price is gone. That same white set was on sale for $120 plus shipping ($35). Check Ebay or the link that was listed above by another poster.