Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go faster!

Hutchinson New Generation Python Air Light + notubes ?

Today I got a pair of these Python Air Light tires to test with notubes on crossmax SLR.

Normally I use the UST version at around 650-700g but yes I need to save some weight!

Current weight is on the ink weighting scale: 529g and 526 for the second tire, not bad.

The tire is mounted very easily on the rim by hands. That’s an issue that I found out it wouldn’t be good…

Tried to lock the tire beds in the rims with the compressor' maximum pressure at 10bar (145psi) with NO SUCCESS! Damn! This is easily done with all other tires I've tested.
    With this pythons on you can put your hand between the rim and the tire if you pull it. This means the tire is too large on the rims and will not seal properly.

Had to put a tube inside and inflate till the tire was locked up in place so I could remove one bead put the sealant ant inflate again. OK now it worked!

The tires are pretty air proof, just had little leaks between the tire and the rim that sealed fast.
    But I still have problems here: when I’m riding or when I press the tires by hands I can hear air burping out! What can I do to solve this?? Add more sealant?
    Anyone tried to conver these tires?

Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

what size tire?

i was planning on getting a set of these but 500+ is a bit more than the claimed weight. i believe it was 480 or so. i think it may have been for the 2.0 but i may be wrong.

ballbuster

I was gonna say...

Quote Originally Posted by gonediesel
    i was planning on getting a set of these but 500+ is a bit more than the claimed weight. i believe it was 480 or so. i think it may have been for the 2.0 but i may be wrong.
    ... my old pair of OG (old generation ) Python Airlites were around 480g each in the 2.0. I never tried to run them tubeless.

I've since switched to Kenda Karmas for my racerboy tires. The Pythons were just to sketchy in the turns. I may just have to slap those old things back on to give them another day in court.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    I found that in order to get regular tires with a loose bead to fit on my UST rims I had to use the Stan's rubber rim strip. It was still difficult to inflate it but once inflated it sealed up perfectly with sealant and never burped any air. It adds a little bit of weight but it's still not as much as a tube or a UST tire. Good luck!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    On regular rims the Python's seal up quite easy for me.
    I too prefer Karma's though.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... my old pair of OG (old generation ) Python Airlites were around 480g each in the 2.0. I never tried to run them tubeless.

I've since switched to Kenda Karmas for my racerboy tires. The Pythons were just to sketchy in the turns. I may just have to slap those old things back on to give them another day in court.
    I think all the pythons are size 2.0. The extra 40-50g compared to the OG pythons are from the extra lateral knobs that supposedly add more grip in the turns. I didn’t had time to test this new feature right yet.
    The terrain here is all hardpack with some loose sand over and some rocks, so it should be fine.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieXCRacer
    I found that in order to get regular tires with a loose bead to fit on my UST rims I had to use the Stan's rubber rim strip. It was still difficult to inflate it but once inflated it sealed up perfectly with sealant and never burped any air. It adds a little bit of weight but it's still not as much as a tube or a UST tire. Good luck!

YEP thats a good idea! Whats the weight of the stans rimstrip?

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    On regular rims the Python's seal up quite easy for me.
    I too prefer Karma's though.
    Do you have the NG or OG pythons? And wich rims?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt

Do you have the NG or OG pythons? And wich rims?
    I believe the new generation, and Sun 0 XC rims.

Got Homebrew?
    Wow strange. I JUST got a set of Crossmax SLRs with NG Python Air Lights on them and have had some problems getting them to seat properly and keep air.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcginnis842
    Wow strange. I JUST got a set of Crossmax SLRs with NG Python Air Lights on them and have had some problems getting them to seat properly and keep air.

Did you convert them to tubeless with stans?

After doing what I've discribed above in the first message, the tires kept the air well. I dont go over 2 bar (29psi) of pressure and I'm not very agressive riding.
    The burping may eventually occour if I press the tires hard, but after riding all these days about 30-60 min per day I didnt have any problem, the pressure is the same everyday.

Got Homebrew?
    Nope, half the reason I got the Pythons was so I could have UST on UST and not do the sealant thing.

Grr...to sealant.

But I think I figured out my problem. Looks like it was just being fussy and not seating right.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

mtbr member
    I had similar issues with continental speed king's on my slr wheels. I had to use stan's rim strip which added about 50 grams. I had major issues with burping, especially downhill with ruts/rocks. After the rim strip install no issues at all and I can run them at 25-28 psi. How do you like the python's?
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

Go faster!
    My pythons are good and in place, they have a very small air loss that is more noticed after one week. I'm not worried about that, I just have to pump them twice and we are ready to ride!

For some 25-28 psi is very low pressure, but for me its the ideal pressure and the recommended by hutchinson! They roll fast like that, from my experience there is no advantage for MTB in putting an higher pressure.
    With 25-28psi the tires are surprisingly grippy even with its hard rubber. Grip on steep climbs is no problem. I know there are more grippy tires but these are designed to go FAST, and they do ride fast!
    The high volume is very good absorbing the bumps when riding over rocks and roots and the ground contact when doing drops. I like them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    For some 25-28 psi is very low pressure, but for me its the ideal pressure and the recommended by hutchinson! They roll fast like that, from my experience there is no advantage for MTB in putting an higher pressure.
    You've obviously never had a root or rock put a hop in a thousand dollar set of wheels.

By the way, holy bike lust! That sure is some hot rig you got there.

mtbr member
    the solution to the seeping or burping beads on pythons has arrived.

Hutchinson just came out with a brand new python that is slightly heavier than a regular airlight, but a lot lighter than the UST version. It is the new Tubeless Ready Python Airlite. It weighs 550-560 grams and has the NG tread. It is designed to be run with sealant, and it has a tight UST bead, but the casing is light for a UST tire.

http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo
    You've obviously never had a root or rock put a hop in a thousand dollar set of wheels.
    I'd never buy a $1000 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

do you have these tires

Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    the solution to the seeping or burping beads on pythons has arrived.

Hutchinson just came out with a brand new python that is slightly heavier than a regular airlight, but a lot lighter than the UST version. It is the new Tubeless Ready Python Airlite. It weighs 550-560 grams and has the NG tread. It is designed to be run with sealant, and it has a tight UST bead, but the casing is light for a UST tire.

http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13
    in stock? If so i will take a couple.

mtbr member
    yup, in stock.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo

By the way, holy bike lust! That sure is some hot rig you got there.
    Obviously you don't know whatever eventually has happened to my wheels.
    You mean I've never crashed a set of expensive wheels, because they didn’t cost anything close to that, but yes I did and they are pretty strong. It wasn’t this wheel set but other crossmax set.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    in stock? If so i will take a couple.
    i had a run on these new pythons, but they are now back in stock.

Go faster!
    well thought I could make a small review after more than one year using the tire.

First they LAST, with the hard rubber they are very durable the rear tire has more wear of corse, still enough grip on the climbs and cornering. I ride a lot on the road too.

The stans conversions is aceptable but not great, you'll need cauition here as the bead is very wide and lose on the rim, making the tire lose air with hard hits or even pressing the tire by hand. Pressures above 2psi can help avoid burping air. Also do not let the stans sealant eveporate completely or you'll have to walk home with the flat tires one day, like it has happened to me yesterday. But this was the only big problem I had with the tires over this time.

some photos to compare after and before:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31334172@N05/

Going to try the schwalbe racing ralphs 2.1 soon. hope they seal better than the pythons on the rim interface.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Those python are the worst tire I ever had. They caused me to crash serverly because the front unrimed going downhill.
    They have awfully loose bead. First one unrimed, second one exploded in the race team truck causing a mess. The third one exploded in my hand while inflating it (correctly cliped and at 30psi). They did that on Mavic 717 with rimstrip and on my ztr355 with yellow tape.

I was running them at 30psi front/35 back. They are good tire (cornering, rolling resistance, etc). But to me they only caused problem when converted tubeless.

Karma are better.

Go faster!
    Damn thats awful! Mine have not exploded yet! I can make one explode just for fun high pressure and BUUUuumm! they deserve it now.

Hutchinson is making non-tubeless tires with large bead on purpose, to make the conversion option dificult and to make us buy tubeless tires. I think thats simply to make us pay the UST patent!

No way I'm going to buy another non-ust tire from hutchinson to convert until they are upgraded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    had bad luck running that tire with sealant. at first they sealed then on a rocky part of the trail they developed millions of micro puntures that the sealant couldnt patch had to walk back home.

mtbr member
    please do not use the non UST phyton tire with stan, its too dangerous, the burping thing is a sign that the tire profile is not recommended, its simply too short and bead not design to grip the rim's wall for UST setup and has a weakness to it. Yes, it is a weigh weenie tire but in this case its not worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast