mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which HT Trek 8500 or Giant XTC or ????.....

I am considering getting a HT and getting rid off my Epic. Ever since I started ridding my HT single speed, I just donít see the benefits of full suspension. I have used the HT and the FS on the same trails and I just can see a big difference, except weight. Maybe, Iíll just keep the Epic around, just in case, and get a HT anyways.

But which HT?

mtbr member
    Get an Elite 9.8.

banned
    Apr 2004

I think trekfuelkingston

Quote Originally Posted by trekfuelkingston
    Get an Elite 9.8.
    is onto something, 9.8 sounds real good.
    If you are not into a 9.8 think about something light in Ti, Steel or Carbon much nicer (less bone rattling) ride than aluminum.

mtbr member
    I have an 8500, and I love the frame... It is a reasonable weight, not stupid-light and not beastly... and very durable, stiff, and powerful.... Of course there are better things out there, like a 9.8, but a 9.8 frame certainly doesn't cost 650, which is what the 8500 frame costs. I don't really know much about the XTC, but the carbon one looks HOT
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    I think either one is a toss up. They will have quite different geometries so you will need to test ride them to find the one that suites you. Don't buy into the carbon rear end on the Giants - only marketing hype; the all aluminum is just as good and I think it's lighter. I have an 8500 frame and it works just fine. The Elite 9.8 is a nice frame but it's not that much lighter than either the 8500 or the XTC. You can't go wrong with either of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek does not make a small enough 9.8……

I am 5’6 and I think I would need a bike smaller than a 17.5, that’s the smallest 9.8 that trek makes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by split
    I think either one is a toss up. They will have quite different geometries so you will need to test ride them to find the one that suites you. Don't buy into the carbon rear end on the Giants - only marketing hype; the all aluminum is just as good and I think it's lighter. I have an 8500 frame and it works just fine. The Elite 9.8 is a nice frame but it's not that much lighter than either the 8500 or the XTC. You can't go wrong with either of them.

My 2004 XTC Hybrid (carbon rear end) in size M is 1565 gr with seat collar + insert w/o screws or canti boss, the 2003 XTC full aluminum was 1615 gr with the same setup. Comfort and stiffness is a better too with the hybrid, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra cost. The Giant XTC Team (full carbon version) is much lighter than the Trek Elite 9.8 and can take a lot of beating. But is costs almost 3X as much as the full alu XTC, which is also a durable frame. It all depends on how much you want to spend on a frame...

All Giant frames work the best with 80 mm travel forks. I have no experience with Trek, but according to the geometry specs, it has almost the same head tube angle, BB height and similar top tube lenght.

I hope this helps...

-b

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You're 5-6? I have a brand new XTC aluminum frame 17" I'm not using.... PM me if you're interested