Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New question here. How to Make a New Bike Lighter?

Hi, Weenies,

I'm thinking about purchasing a new Giant Lust Advanced 2, which would be my first FS bike. I'm getting older and already have a HT, so I thought I'd try a FS. I ride a lot of the rooty, rocky, technical trails here in the Southeast, so I think a FS would be great.

I test rode the $8,000 racing version of the Lust today and, yeah, it's a great bike, but the lower-priced Lust Advanced 2 is more in my price range (especially with a discount).

I only weight 120 lbs so, to me, every gram counts on a bike. Being "light" does have its advantages, but bikes can only get so light. It's hard to ride something when it weighs about 20% of your body weight! I have no idea how much this bike weighs in a size small; even the Giant rep couldn't (wouldn't) tell me.

Anyway, here are the specs for the bike I'm thinking of buying. I don't mind spending a bit of money to lighten up, but I don't want to go too crazy.

The first thing I'd do is go to a tubeless set up (any advice on tires?). I expect I can run them on 20 psi which is kinda nice.

I'd replace the stem and handlebars as well. Should I go carbon or just use EA70 or something like that? Is carbon really that much lighter?

I have a nice Terry seat and a Thomson masterpiece on my HT that I'll probably use on this bike.

One of the really nice things I liked about the $8,000 demo bike was the 1X11 drive train set up. It uses SRAM XX1 10x42, 11-speed
    cassette and SRAM XX1, 30T crankset. Is there some way I could get a similar set up for the bike I'm looking at? I'd love to go to one chain ring, but I don't think I can just get rid of the one of the chain rings on the bike I'm looking at. Is it possible, without much hassle, to change to a 1X11 set up?

Do you have a recommendation for good, light, non-carbon rims? That will probably be something I'll want to replace.

FRAME
    Frame Advanced-grade composite w/ALUXX SL rear triangle, 4" Maestro suspension
    Fork Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution, w/15mm thru-axle, OverDrive 2 steerer, 100mm travel
    Shock Fox Float CTD Evolution

COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect SL, low rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2
    Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9mm
    Saddle Liv/giant Contact, Forward
    Pedals N/A

DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano SLX, Rapid Fire
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT, Shadow Plus
    Brakes Shimano SLX, hydraulic disc, 160mm
    Brake Levers Shimano SLX
    Cassette Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-speed
    Chain KMC X10 SL
    Crankset SRAM S1000, 22/36
    Bottom Bracket SRAM Press Fit

WHEELS
    Rims Giant P-XC2, double wall
    Hubs Giant Performance Tracker sealed bearing, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 142x12mm axle
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14/15g
    Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo, tubeless ready, 27.5x2.25, folding

Thanks for your help!

ups and downs
    SRAM now has a less expensive 1x11 setup than the XX1, the X01 that is only 70-80gms heavier and almost certainly lighter than the 2x10 drivetrain on the Advanced 2.

X01 | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

The wheels are the place where you can likely save some serious weight, especially if you're only 120 pounds, as you could ride all those "race day only" wheelsets and not worry about them being flexy.

ZTR Podium 27.5 / 650b Wheelset

The carbon cockpit pieces might get you 1/4 pound over the Giant alloy pieces.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The stock HG81 cassette is a tank and so are the factory wheels. Start with the wheels since you aren't set on 1x11 or 1x10 and may be buying a lighter 10sp cassette for no reason if 11sp is the end result.

It's about showing up.
    The Large 27.5 Anthem 3 (men's version of the Lust) weighed 30 lbs and the Anthem 1 near 25 lbs.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: How to Make a New Bike Lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    The Large 27.5 Anthem 3 (men's version of the Lust) weighed 30 lbs and the Anthem 1 near 25 lbs.
    Thanks. Are those weights for the carbon versions? If so, I'm guessing the weight of a small, stock Lust Advanced 2 might be close to 25 lbs? I'm going to call a bike shop and see if they'll weigh one for me.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    The stock HG81 cassette is a tank and so are the factory wheels. Start with the wheels since you aren't set on 1x11 or 1x10 and may be buying a lighter 10sp cassette for no reason if 11sp is the end result.
    Great advice. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    SRAM now has a less expensive 1x11 setup than the XX1, the X01 that is only 70-80gms heavier and almost certainly lighter than the 2x10 drivetrain on the Advanced 2.

X01 | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

The wheels are the place where you can likely save some serious weight, especially if you're only 120 pounds, as you could ride all those "race day only" wheelsets and not worry about them being flexy.

ZTR Podium 27.5 / 650b Wheelset

The carbon cockpit pieces might get you 1/4 pound over the Giant alloy pieces.
    Thanks. It sounds like the consensus is that I should start with the wheels. The 1x11 felt great on the demo bike. That will just be a future project!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just replaced my bar and stem, so will share what I learned.

I got EC90 SL Riser bars and really like them. $110 on Amazon, 135 grams, super-stiff -- can't feel any flex, and do seem to dampen shock better. It is much warmer on the hands on cold days. I was also attracted to this bar because it was about the length that I had shortened my aluminum bars to. The steering feels a little quicker due to less weight. They installed like regular aluminum bars (recommend using a torque wrench in any case), no carbon paste or anything needed.

I replaced the stock Bonty lock-on grips (92 grams) with ESI Chunkys (60 grams), so I can't really say how much of the difference in warmness and shock dampening is due to the bars or grips, however.

Grips are a cheap way to save weight and get more comfort btw. The Chunkys are very plush and are made of a tough silicone spongelike material. You could get lighter and softer grips that won't be as durable, but aren't expensive either.

I needed to change stem length to fit me. It turned out that it was difficult to save any weight over the stock RXL stem (127g). The LBS loaned me a $25 Eleven81 stem to try for size. It was 130 grams. I couldn't find anything a lot lighter than that. I spent about $15 on titanium screws and saved about 12 grams, still coming in lighter and way cheaper than a new RXL stem, which wasn't available in the size I wanted anyway.

While I was at it I also replaced the headset cap and screw with a Purely Custom headtube cap and aluminum bolt, $15 and saved 12 g. It is very strong and not "weenie" at all.
    Last edited by DennisF; 11-26-2013 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all the useful comments, everyone.

Dennis, that sounds like a great set up on the handlebars. I'll definitely check into that.

Rocky, those Podium wheels look great. I looked around the Stans site at the Crests which are more in my price range. Would you recommend those (not as light as the Podiums, of course). Which tubeless tires would you recommend?

Now that I'm looking at all this, it seems it would cost about $2,000 to upgrade my bike (new wheels, 1X11 drivetrain, etc.). I could get the same bike with an aluminum frame instead of carbon and save $1,000. I could use the $1,000 toward the upgrades.

I know carbon will be lighter, but is it significantly lighter? I won't be racing or anything, so maybe an alum frame will be fine for me?

Thanks again, everyone.

ups and downs
    A carbon frame could be close to 1 pound lighter than an aluminium frame, but there's no guarantee it would be that much lighter. A carbon frame will almost always be lighter higher up in the frame than alloy, which makes it more nimble feeling.

It is always cheaper to buy the highest spec bike you can afford as it will always be 30-50% less expensive to buy the lighter factory spec bike than to upgrade a lower spec bike to that same level.

Now you're at the point where you need to check the real weights of the bikes and set yourself a target weight to determine priorities for spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by LucindaInGA View Post
    Thanks for all the useful comments, everyone.

Dennis, that sounds like a great set up on the handlebars. I'll definitely check into that.

Rocky, those Podium wheels look great. I looked around the Stans site at the Crests which are more in my price range. Would you recommend those (not as light as the Podiums, of course). Which tubeless tires would you recommend?

Now that I'm looking at all this, it seems it would cost about $2,000 to upgrade my bike (new wheels, 1X11 drivetrain, etc.). I could get the same bike with an aluminum frame instead of carbon and save $1,000. I could use the $1,000 toward the upgrades.

I know carbon will be lighter, but is it significantly lighter? I won't be racing or anything, so maybe an alum frame will be fine for me?

Thanks again, everyone.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd be getting a set of Stans Crest or Arch rims. I was looking at a Giant Anthem 29 which had the P-XC2 rims. The 29er version of the rims are over 2kg for the pair (no idea what the 27.5 versions would be)
    A set of 27.5" Stans crest rims are 1520g or the Arch ex are 1685g.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit jealous, I was in love with the Lust I looked at until the bike shop told me it was a woman's bike.

I think your best bet for making a bike lighter quickly, is replacing the wheelset and the crankset. Those always seem to be the best bang for the buck.

After that the little things start adding up...cassettes and pedals, bars and stems, seatposts and saddles. Improving all of those cut grams off the bike, but a lot of times, the can get ridiculous just to shave a few grams.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

Formerly of Kent
    I just picked up NIB 1x11 parts on eBay and Amazon for the following prices:

XO1 RD: $139
    XX1 Shifter: $149
    XX1 Cassette: $305

All prices included shipping.

Buy a RaceFace chainring and a chain and you're set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    EACP demo days? I was there as well!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I just picked up NIB 1x11 parts on eBay and Amazon for the following prices:

XO1 RD: $139
    XX1 Shifter: $149
    XX1 Cassette: $305

All prices included shipping.

Buy a RaceFace chainring and a chain and you're set.
    Thanks. I knew someone here would know where to find the deals!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    EACP demo days? I was there as well!
    Yes! That was so much fun. I came up from Atlanta. The locals are so lucky to have a great bike shop like Sunshine.

I love the Lust Advanced. It was so fast for me it was almost scary. I love the 1x11 set up. I love 27.5 as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    light-bicycle carbon rims are the same weight as crest rims and no flex. Much wider also.
    Wheels and tyres are the most important place to save weight as long as you don't get flex and loose your pedaling effort.

mtbr member
    If you want to drop weight without spending a ton of money on 11 speed drivetrain, you can just get a Narrow-wide Chainring (race face, wolftooth, etc) and go to a 1x10 drivetrain setup. That should drop about 1lb off the bike.

Handlebar Giant Connect SL, low rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2
    Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9mm
    Saddle Liv/giant Contact, Forward

These parts are pretty dang heavy compared to what you can find. I would guess you could drop a pound easily here. And it would cost less than a XX1 cassette.

The wheels on that bike are actually pretty light as far as oem wheels go. Carbon wheels would be a good upgrade. So would going tubeless (especially at your weight). The racing ralph tires are really light.

Hopefully this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    If you want to drop weight without spending a ton of money on 11 speed drivetrain, you can just get a Narrow-wide Chainring (race face, wolftooth, etc) and go to a 1x10 drivetrain setup. That should drop about 1lb off the bike.

HandlebarGiant Connect SL, low rise, 31.8mm
    StemGiant Connect SL, OverDrive 2
    SeatpostGiant Connect, 30.9mm
    SaddleLiv/giant Contact, Forward

These parts are pretty dang heavy compared to what you can find. I would guess you could drop a pound easily here. And it would cost less than a XX1 cassette.

The wheels on that bike are actually pretty light as far as oem wheels go. Carbon wheels would be a good upgrade. So would going tubeless (especially at your weight). The racing ralph tires are really light.

Hopefully this helps.
    Yes, thank you. Where did you find the weights for the Giant components?

mtbr member
    Yes, thank you. Where did you find the weights for the Giant components?

Giants website.
    Handlebar:
    31.8mm 690mm 9 5 19mm 225g
    31.8mm 730mm 9 5 19mm 250g

Stem:

CLAMP LENGTH ANGLE STEERER WEIGHT
    31.8mm 60mm +/- 8 1-1/8" 145g
    31.8mm 70mm +/- 8 1-1/8" 150g
    31.8mm 80mm +/- 8 1-1/8" 155g
    31.8mm 90mm +/- 8 1-1/8" 160g

Seatpost:

DIAMETER LENGTH OFFSET WEIGHT
    30.9mm 375mm 12mm 325g

Saddle:
    - Weight: 310g

I would assume they are pretty accurate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes! That was so much fun. I came up from Atlanta. The locals are so lucky to have a great bike shop like Sunshine.

I love the Lust Advanced. It was so fast for me it was almost scary. I love the 1x11 set up. I love 27.5 as well.

I saw several ladies on that Lust, what time were you there?

Yes Jimmy and Sunshine are great. I have bought two bikes from him in the last year, gotten tons of free advice, and a very fair price on accessories. Tonight my wife is going to Liv/Giant ladies night at Sunshine Cycles, which I believe is hosted by Jimmys wife, if you have the time its at 6pm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have also found his employees to be generally awesome guys as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I saw several ladies on that Lust, what time were you there?

Yes Jimmy and Sunshine are great. I have bought two bikes from him in the last year, gotten tons of free advice, and a very fair price on accessories. Tonight my wife is going to Liv/Giant ladies night at Sunshine Cycles, which I believe is hosted by Jimmys wife, if you have the time its at 6pm.
    I was the first one on the Lust. I got there just after they set up. The loop was fun but a bit crowded! Yes, jimmy invited me to the ladies night which sounds fun, but I'm an hour and 15 minutes away and work until 6. I'm sure everyone will have fun tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ha, I saw you getting ready to go out then, I was there early on the Trance Advanced 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ha, I saw you getting ready to go out then, I was there early on the Trance Advanced 27.5
    Cool. How did you like it? What else did you try?

I was trying to concentrate on what was going on. I was at a disadvantage on the trail. It seemed everyone else was local and knew all the trails. I jumped off on some gravel roads and things at one point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast