mtbr member

How heavy is a "heavy" 29er frame ?

So over the last month or so Ive gotten a much better understanding of components and weight of bike and how big of a difference it can make.
    However Im not grasping Frame weights yet.
    Im browsing through the china carbon 29er thread and I notice these frames are 1300-1400 grams which to me sounds stupendously light..however I don't really have anything to compare it as all other frames I see online either don't say how much they weigh outside of a few also super light carbons.

Ive read claims of 5 lb drops in weight just from a frame swap which sounds unlikely.

So just wondering where the range of light-normal-heavy is in terms of actual frames.

Also is component math a reasonable way to determine frame weight ?
    I pretty much know every weight of the components on my bike , and my cousins "fixie" as well. But taking them apart to measure frame is not really something either of us want to do. Can we just add total bike weight - component list ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

A Santa Cruz highball carbon (m) is 1102g according to bike radar. Aluminum is 3.9lbs.

A 5lb weight drop isn't really likely. Who is selling 7+lb hard tail frames? Seems insane to me. I have a 145mm full suspension frame that I think was 6lbs (size large) with shock, bb, headset cups, and skewer and derailleur hanger...so 4.5lbs more than a hard tail.

There may be some steel bikes out there that are heavier but I don't think even those are that heavy. The thing is though I bet that really heavy stuff is pretty low end, and it may be really hard to find weights of that kind of thing. Your $500 REI bikes aren't really a weight weenie interest.

mtbr member
    Are you wanting weights for hardtails or FS as well?

If you take the total weight and subtract the weight of all components you will get a general weight of the frame. It wont take in to account grease, lube, spacers, extra hardware and bolts, etc.

Also, it is really hard to say "under this weight is lightweight" because to some people a 25lb 29er is lightweight and to some a 17lb 29er is lightweight.

My suggestion is to set a goal of what you think you want out of a weight weenie bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    A Santa Cruz highball carbon (m) is 1102g according to bike radar. Aluminum is 3.9lbs.

A 5lb weight drop isn't really likely. Who is selling 7+lb hard tail frames? Seems insane to me. I have a 145mm full suspension frame that I think was 6lbs (size large) with shock, bb, headset cups, and skewer and derailleur hanger...so 4.5lbs more than a hard tail.

There may be some steel bikes out there that are heavier but I don't think even those are that heavy. The thing is though I bet that really heavy stuff is pretty low end, and it may be really hard to find weights of that kind of thing. Your $500 REI bikes aren't really a weight weenie interest.
    Yeah IIRC it was a steel > carbon switch even for that it seemed steep.

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Are you wanting weights for hardtails or FS as well?

If you take the total weight and subtract the weight of all components you will get a general weight of the frame. It wont take in to account grease, lube, spacers, extra hardware and bolts, etc.

Also, it is really hard to say "under this weight is lightweight" because to some people a 25lb 29er is lightweight and to some a 17lb 29er is lightweight.

My suggestion is to set a goal of what you think you want out of a weight weenie bike.
    Either one(HT or FS) but mostly HT.
    For myself Im thinking 23-24 lb range since I have to use larger frames and may stay full 3/9 geared until I get my skills up.
    I started with a beastly 33.5 lber I have down to 28 and change with fork/wheel/minor component swaps.
    My intention was slowly looking for great deals on individual parts I like until everything was what I desired it to be. Then swap out frame in a year or two. But the carbon 29er thread is seriously calling my name out.

mtbr member
    I would say anything under 4 lbs is light for a 29er frame. Anything 3lbs and under would be weight weenie.

ups and downs
    A high end carbon 29er frame might be under 1000gms.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Yup. As of right now anything under 1000g is really light. That's easy to remember. You want something as close to 1000g as possible if you want a light bike. Wheels have to be under 1500g.

mtbr member

Re: How heavy is a "heavy" 29er frame ?

Who ever thought bike frames would be light enough to fling down the block.
    Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Also, it should be added that frame weight has a couple levels of importance.

It's very important because they are usually the most expensive component of the bike and you will probably keep it for a long time. So make sure that you get a frame that will fit your weight goal.

It's not very important because weight on the frame has the least amount of negative effects on the bikes maneuverability. The more centralized the mass is (ie less weight on the corners, more weight into a sphere shape) the easier it is to control.

I would way rather spend an extra $500 on lighter wheels/tires/componants compared to $500 for a lighter frame.

If you are on a budget and want a weight weenie 29er, the chinese carbon company can get you started with a frame and wheelset for cheap.

mtbr member
    Thanks..you guys have been very helpful.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I would way rather spend an extra $500 on lighter wheels/tires/componants [sic] compared to $500 for a lighter frame.
    I sorta/kinda agree, but sorta/kinda don't Moe.

I agree 100% that you will most likely notice reduced weight in a wheelset & tire combo, and money there is well spent.

However, I usually stick with a frame for a pretty long time, switching out all kinds of other stuff as I go. Also, you can (relatively) easily swap out components, but a frame swap is a pain, and costly. Also, how many times has someone asked for weight reduction advice in this forum, and at the end of the day they have a pig of a frame that limits their minimum weight? For that reason the frame investment is pretty damned important IMO. As a starting point, I'd probably over-invest there.

mtbr member

My steel Salsa El Mariachi (lrg) is 5.5 lbs (without any mud caked onto the downtube). Seems pretty heavy to me, but I love the ride and have no complaints, so who cares what it weighs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wonder how much heavier the 29er frame would be than a similar construction and size 26er?, -probably an insignificant amount. In the early '90s I had a Kona Explosif 21" 26er, I put good parts for the day on it, but Konas had not quite gotten light yet, the frame was a '91 iirc. When I tore it down I weighed it: 6.75# for the bare frame, no wonder I could never get that bike below 26 or 27 pounds. That's probably one of the heavier 'good quality' frames, in it's defense it was a good handling bike. That's my baseline for light, anything under 26 is acceptably light. My current Kona Kula Dlx 29er is about 24.5# (with kind of heavy tires), which is very acceptable to me, it's a good durable race bike, - but I will likely buy lighter tires in the near future.

mtbr member

Re: How heavy is a "heavy" 29er frame ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I wonder how much heavier the 29er frame would be than a similar construction and size 26er?, -probably an insignificant amount. In the early '90s I had a Kona Explosif 21" 26er, I put good parts for the day on it, but Konas had not quite gotten light yet, the frame was a '91 iirc. When I tore it down I weighed it: 6.75# for the bare frame, no wonder I could never get that bike below 26 or 27 pounds. That's probably one of the heavier 'good quality' frames, in it's defense it was a good handling bike. That's my baseline for light, anything under 26 is acceptably light. My current Kona Kula Dlx 29er is about 24.5# (with kind of heavy tires), which is very acceptable to me, it's a good durable race bike, - but I will likely buy lighter tires in the near future.
    Interesting. I've wondered that as well.
    26/29er similar build weight difference.
    And light bike with heavy tires
    VS lighter tires slightly heavier bike.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post

Sometimes, the low rent stuff is pretty light... same as the high end alu frames. I have an Access XCL29er in alu that weighs in around 3.25 pounds.

Point is, the frame is probably the most expensive part to lose weight. Getting the latest wunder plastic bike will probably shed a pound over the Access, but will set you back $1500-2000 to do it.

official eMpTyBRain
    The frame of my built up Pivot Mach 429 (medium/alloy) weighs over 7 pounds but with all it's high end junk, it weighs a total of under 26 pounds.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Low end frame weights - how much does a large giant revel weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Low end frame weights - how much does a large giant revel weigh?
    Just the frame or the whole bike? What year and model of revel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2013 revel 0 29er frame only