Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mulleticious

New question here. How do I get it even lighter?

Built this puppy up from eBay bits - to be as light as possible but on a tight budget.
    It handles like a dream. Current weight is around 22.1 lbs.
    Wondering what I should do to get it a bit lighter - what's the best bang for the $?

All advice welcome.

Build is as follows:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I get it even lighter?-imgp5620selective_800x600.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd say tires. A pair of 2.2 Ikons will save you 3/4# for ~$120.

mtbr member
    Chain,cassette, and tires stand out to me

mtbr member
    You've got almost a 1/2 pound in bar ends - not sure if integral to your riding style or not, but that could be a big win.

Next would be the chainstay protection which I don't see listed, but a Velcro strip (furry side) weighs almost nothing.

Finally Al & Ti bolts depending on location.

mtbr member
    Oh, and you could move to a full carbon saddle if your butt is daring enough.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupob6 View Post
    Chain,cassette, and tires stand out to me
    Cassette??

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    You've got almost a 1/2 pound in bar ends - not sure if integral to your riding style or not, but that could be a big win.

Next would be the chainstay protection which I don't see listed, but a Velcro strip (furry side) weighs almost nothing.

Finally Al & Ti bolts depending on location.
    Hmmm - those bar ends are really useful when mashing up a big hill... but it's an idea.

That is a velcro chainstay protector - doesn't add very much weight though, like you say.

Not sure if the bolts are going to be worth it?

cowbell
    Those Ergons are carrying some chunk. My wife has them on her bike, but I can't see the point of them on my SS - perhaps it's a difference in riding style?

The carbon saddle shouldn't be a big deal on an SS, I don't spend much time sitting on mine. Of course, there's not much flat trail where I usually ride either.

As far as asking if the bolts are going to be worth it, that's for you to decide how much lighter you want the bike. If it's important to you, it's worth it.

Me, I'm with the couple people who said focus on those tires. You can lose a fair amount of weight there and you'll really be able to feel it.

mtbr member
    You could replace the Ergon grip/bar end combo with ESI Chunky grips and some light bar ends (MT Zoom, KCNC). It would save you about 120g.

Mount Zoom Ultralight Bar Ends 46g Mk2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    That is a velcro chainstay protector - doesn't add very much weight though, like you say.
    Just to double-check my eyes (and sanity), the photo appears to show a wraparound chainstay protector, made of rubber or foam, with a brand logo on it.

By Velcro, I literally meant you stick the fuzzy side of a Velcro strip to the chainstay. We're only talking a handful of grammage, but it's cheap to do. That and foam grips (if you're cool with giving up the bar ends) are cheapest bets.

mtbr member
    Tires and grips/bar ends.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Here are a few inexpensive ideas.

Ditch the Ergons unless you absolutely love them. Ritchey WCS barends and grips would weigh half as much as you currently have. If you really love bar ends you could buy Extralite Cyberends but they cost a fortune.
    The bar and stem are heavy. You can get a Syntace stem for $50 and it weighs 100 or less grams in your size.
    The saddle is heavy but if you like it keep it.
    Switch the post to Rotor aluminum, $100 and save about 50 grams.
    Lighter chain when you wear this one out.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Just to double-check my eyes (and sanity), the photo appears to show a wraparound chainstay protector, made of rubber or foam, with a brand logo on it.

By Velcro, I literally meant you stick the fuzzy side of a Velcro strip to the chainstay. We're only talking a handful of grammage, but it's cheap to do. That and foam grips (if you're cool with giving up the bar ends) are cheapest bets.
    Aha! apologies. This one is wrap around but stays in place with Velcro. Will look out for your stick on version...

I'd say tires. A pair of 2.2 Ikons will save you 3/4# for ~$120.
    I realise the tyres are heavy. But where I ride we have hawthorn, blackthorn and flints. Running tubeless is imperative. We have destroyed so many tyres, but found that the Nobby Nic snakeskin TL-ready almost lasts long enough to wear out. A lighter tyre probably won't pass the durability test. What about Racing Ralph snakeskin TL-ready though - they are lighter but do you think they are as tough?

Thanks for the other ideas. I felt I needed the bar ends but could try riding without for a while. The stem is a possibility, although I think this carbon one looks really cool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 2X10 SIR9, currently at 8416gms. (Slightly different from the photos as I have replaced those tires, upgraded to 10 speed & carbon saddle)

You may want to try out CX tires (300+ gms each) if you're on a shoestring budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSpitter View Post
    My 2X10 SIR9, currently at 8416gms. (Slightly different from the photos as I have replaced those tires, upgraded to 10 speed & carbon saddle)

You may want to try out CX tires (300+ gms each) if you're on a shoestring budget.
    That's a really nice backdrop - whereabouts is that?

29er
    Apr 2010
    foam grips cost $5

Big Boy
    The maxxis ikon with the exo sidewall are (IMO) as strong as the SS version from Schwalbe. Also, is it necessary to have a chainstay protector on a SS? I didnt think there was enough slack for the chain to hit.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

bike rider
    Money! Is the answer to the Question, How do I get it even lighter? My newest build is a Niner RDO Full Suspension that should be a tad under 17lbs with a 1x10 and Lefty but the retail price would be around $18,000. It costs a lot to do it but trust me after beating the crap out of my 13.9lb. SS Niner A9C for over 2 years there is NO going back.

BTW, Great Bike!!! Steel IS Real! I'm gonna build up the New version of the SIR next.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    The maxxis ikon with the exo sidewall are (IMO) as strong as the SS version from Schwalbe. Also, is it necessary to have a chainstay protector on a SS? I didnt think there was enough slack for the chain to hit.
    Hmmm - food for thought about the ikons.

I have the chainstay protector to reduce wear from my heel which occasionally rubs the back of the chainstay - the paint on these SIR9's is absolutely sh!te, so soft and comes off easily.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Built this puppy up from eBay bits - to be as light as possible but on a tight budget.
    It handles like a dream. Current weight is around 22.1 lbs.
    Wondering what I should do to get it a bit lighter - what's the best bang for the $?

All advice welcome.

Build is as follows:
    Sure you can do it, but you never mentioned your true motivation for cutting weight. Your comment that says "It handles like a dream" sums it up. Why mess with a dream (assuming it is a nice dream)?

#1. Alligator Serrated Rotors at 160mm weigh only 92g each. They are only about $15.98 per side (can order from PricePoint). Assuming those are 160mm's on your bike, that would save you 102g (.22 lbs). $32 plus shipping.

#2. I like the Nobby Nic up front and for your description of conditions. In spite of the weight, the Nics roll really fast with the center knobs rubber compound. You might want to go to a Snakeskin Racing Ralph 2.25 or Rocket Ron in the rear or the Ikon 2.2, but the Ikon with EXO will be lighter around 580g. The Ralph SS 2.25 weighs around 650g (even though claimed weight is 605g) and the Ron SS 2.25 - when it comes out - has a claimed weight of 605g. If you went to the Ikon 2.2 with the EXO, you would save 143g (.315 lbs). $70-80 includes shipping. Maybe even less if you score one on the 29"er tire swap thread.

#3. Your sealant is listed as 190g. You really can get away with 2 ounces (or a little less) in each tire which should total 114g (56.69g per tire). That would save you 76g (.167 lbs).

#4. Nothing wrong with bar ends, but do you really need the Ergon grip/bar end combo? Do you really need bar ends at all? If you don't need them or the flat paddle Ergon grip - why not just a foam grip or ESI grips? If you dropped the 220g Ergon grips to some nice Bontrager Race X Foam grips which have a claimed weight of 28g (mine always come in under that weight around 18-22g), that would save you 192g (.42 lbs) and they cost $9.99 from Bontrager plus shipping.

All 4 steps above have the potential to cut 1.122 pounds off your total bike weight bringing your bike weight down to 21.03 for around $130 - 140.

Then you ask the question - "Is that really going to turn my whirlybird Weight Weenie hat and improve my riding and enjoyment of the Niner SIR 9?"

If you like your tires, your grips and the way the bike feels at 22 and change - why bother? What's in it for you in terms of performance benefits if you lose what feels good for you right now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    That's a really nice backdrop - whereabouts is that?
    On the left is the Singapore Indoor Stadium and the right are some apartments in Tanjong Rhu.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Tyres - you can shave 100-200 grams using lighter tyres.

Carbon rotors

official eMpTyBRain
    Just tires, assuming you are dead set on keeping the steel frame vs switching to alloy or CF which would certainly get you down into the teens in weight,
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Just tires, assuming you are dead set on keeping the steel frame vs switching to alloy or CF which would certainly get you down into the teens in weight,
    Thanks hawg - I'm enjoying the steel though, which is good for my back... Compliance etc.

Gonna try lighter tyres, and have already binned those bar ends, although I'm missin 'em!

No Stranger to danger....
    If you really want to get lighter, start chopping body parts off your self.

If your not circumcised yet thats a start, then you could take a hand or a foot off.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast