Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Hilarious Tone's!

My rig has bar ends. I really can't live w/o them so I'd like to suggest this combo (grips/bar ends) if you really want to keep a set:

*ESI Racers Edge foam grips- 50 grams per set
    *Edge bar ends- 50 grams per set

These are what I use together. I understand that there are grips and bar ends that are even lighter so you may want to research this.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    If you really want to get lighter, start chopping body parts off your self.

If your not circumcised yet thats a start, then you could take a hand or a foot off.....
    ...as long as I don't need to cut my mullet off...

My rig has bar ends. I really can't live w/o them so I'd like to suggest this combo (grips/bar ends) if you really want to keep a set:

*ESI Racers Edge foam grips- 50 grams per set
    *Edge bar ends- 50 grams per set

These are what I use together. I understand that there are grips and bar ends that are even lighter so you may want to research this.
    Will check it out...

mtbr member
    Ritchey WCS bar ends and foam grips are lighter and inexpensive. They're both worth a try.

mtbr member
    There has been a lot of discussion about the chainstay protector. Since the bike is a single speed, why have a chainstay protector at all? That would be the lightest and cheapest solution of all, and you don't really have to worry about chain slap with SS.

I would also suggest a lighter seat. After wheels, a lightweight seat is a good area to lighten. The seat is far from the center of gravity of the bike and far from the ground, so it moves a greater distance when the bike is moving over terrain. For example, when you hammer on the pedals, rocking the bike side to side, the seat has to travel the longest distance of any part on your bike (assuming you have a semi-racy position with the handlebar lower than the seat). A lighter seat will save more energy than lightening many other parts of your bike. After all, isn't the point of making a light bike to save energy?

Go faster!
    The cheapest solution I can find on your rig would be to drop the Bottle and Cage. This should save you about 1.3 lbs (when bottle is full) and only cost you a few minutes of your time.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernVelo View Post
    The cheapest solution I can find on your rig would be to drop the Bottle and Cage. This should save you about 1.3 lbs (when bottle is full) and only cost you a few minutes of your time.
    But then I would need to wear a Camelbak. Any wisdom as to whether the weight is better on your back or on your bike? I have always thought it best to have the lowest centre of gravity possible...

mtbr member

Most weight-loss for a buck

edited

Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Built this puppy up from eBay bits - to be as light as possible but on a tight budget.
    It handles like a dream. Current weight is around 22.1 lbs.
    Wondering what I should do to get it a bit lighter - what's the best bang for the $?

All advice welcome.

Build is as follows:

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Lighter seatpost - lots of options - Woodman makes a pretty damn light post, for how cheaply it can be found.SLR saddle - I've gotten quite a few with careful e-bay shopping for much less than retail. fuzzy Velcro on the stay where your heel hits vs. the protector you have on now.Tires, as others have said, though I'd rather run heavier tires I like and trust than have todeal with less traction/more flatsBrakes and crank, but then you're looking at more money.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Switch the seat to a Tioga Spyder (135g) or Specialized Toupe

I've used the 143mm Toupe with Ti rails on my Specialized Rockhopper HT for AM riding, quite comfortable despite its looks. Although I stand on my pedals probably 70% of the time. Switched to the Tioga D-Spyder when my seatpost and seat both got stolen (locked outside with quick release seat clamp).

I liked the Toupe more than the D-Spyder, but I would recommend both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For a seat the Tune komm vor, 96 g max, rider weight 90kg. I have this one personaly. I just can not ride longer than 3.5 hrs, I weih 195 just under the max so it might be more comfortable for a lighter rider.

Mulleticious
    Thanks for all the advice. Gonna start trying one or two of these mods soon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank Monkey View Post
    Switch the seat to a Tioga Spyder (135g) or Specialized Toupe

I've used the 143mm Toupe with Ti rails on my Specialized Rockhopper HT for AM riding, quite comfortable despite its looks. Although I stand on my pedals probably 70% of the time. Switched to the Tioga D-Spyder when my seatpost and seat both got stolen (locked outside with quick release seat clamp).

I liked the Toupe more than the D-Spyder, but I would recommend both.
    I had the Toupe. I'm a heavy rider too (240lbs). It's not bad if you're a regular rider. It can suck if you stop riding for a while and then start back up on a long ride.

It was used, squeaked like hell at first but went away after I greased the rails. Rails were cromo I think but weighed 183g overall and Thomson Elite post.

Mulleticious
    Resurrecting this thread - took the advice on tyres, seat post, chainstay protector and saddle but...

...I couldn't live without the bar ends and paddle grips so I went back to them

My specific question now is, is there a lightweight paddle grip / bar end combo just like the Ergons which is materially lighter?

I have done some research and found the following combos which all look like they could do what I want, but there is no information on how light they are:

SQLabs 711 Stuby
    Whyte bikes ergonomic grip
    XLC GR-G16
    Rose bikes BE-1

Edit: distributor for the Rose BE-1 emailed me back - they are 287g for the pair which is 62g heavier than my Ergons!

Further edit: the SQ-lab Stuby 711's are 320g for the pair! At this rate I'll be happily sticking with the Ergons...
    Last edited by BigwheelsRbest; 09-30-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: New data

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    How much weight did you lose by doing that?

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    How much weight did you lose by doing that?
    Around about a pound and a quarter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2