4 - Rear 140mm rotor with bolts = 100g
Total = 770g/set

My previous Minis were

2002 Hope Mono Minis (165/145mm):

1 - Front brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 271g
2 - Front 165mm rotor with bolts = 147g
3 - Rear brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 287g
4 - Rear 145mm rotor with bolts = 118g
Total = 823g/set (~53g/set heavier than the Monos)

You'll notice that the weight difference between the Monos and the Minis is nearly entirely in the rotors. There is a neglible difference in the levers, line and calipers.

See less See more
#3 ·
¶å©øß said:
Thanks Mikey. Now, I just need to know what the new Martas are going to weigh and make my purchase. :D
Personally, I've never used Martas or Marta SLs, so I can't comment. However, Weight Weenies has them listed as:

Marta:
- Front = 366g
- Rear = 361g
Total = 727g/set

Marta SL:
- Front = 343g
- Rear = 356g
Total = 699g/set....this is nearly identical to the Formula B4 SL+ at 697g/set.

#4 ·
1speed_Mike said:
Personally, I've never used Martas or Marta SLs, so I can't comment. However, Weight Weenies has them listed as:

Marta:
- Front = 366g
- Rear = 361g
Total = 727g/set

Marta SL:
- Front = 343g
- Rear = 356g
Total = 699g/set....this is nearly identical to the Formula B4 SL+ at 697g/set.
I wonder, do you think you could buy the carbon levers seperately and put them on the nonSL's? The all black is ultra chic.

Ha.

#7 · (Edited)
It makes my Vuelta Mag look good!

1speed_Mike said:
2004 Hope Mono Minis (160/140mm):
1 - Front brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 270g
2 - Front 160mm rotor with bolts = 118g
3 - Rear brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 282g
4 - Rear 140mm rotor with bolts = 100g
Total = 770g/set

My previous Minis were

2002 Hope Mono Minis (165/145mm):

1 - Front brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 271g
2 - Front 165mm rotor with bolts = 147g
3 - Rear brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 287g
4 - Rear 145mm rotor with bolts = 118g
Total = 823g/set (~53g/set heavier than the Monos)

You'll notice that the weight difference between the Monos and the Minis is nearly entirely in the rotors. There is a neglible difference in the levers, line and calipers.
With a 160/160 we are at 788 grams vs 440 (250 (brakes) + 140 (levers) + 50 (IRD cables) = 4) A nice 330/348 savings
:)
just joking I know disk are superior ... ;)

#8 ·
Trevor! said:
Mike, please be sure to post a review on how the brakes perform for you once you get out on the trails.

Although my XTRs have been replaced, I think I will be happy to sell them once winter comes.

Trevor!
Unfortunately, it is still going to be a while before I'll be able to ride the Monos, or anything, for that matter. We still have way too much snow on the trails, with more coming today. So, don't hold your breathe.

BTW, what did the warranty consist of? New calipers?

What brakes are you considering?

#9 ·
1speed_Mike said:
Unfortunately, it is still going to be a while before I'll be able to ride the Monos, or anything, for that matter. We still have way too much snow on the trails, with more coming today. So, don't hold your breathe.

BTW, what did the warranty consist of? New calipers?

What brakes are you considering?
I just sent in the calipers, and on that same day Shimano received them, they sent me out two new calipers, that from what I gather by looking have a different material around the pistons.

I have mounted them back on the bike, but I will probably put them on ebay once I start my new training program for 04-05, since I will be on the road for 85% of the time.

I am considering the following. Marta SL, Hope Mono, Avid Jucies (Probably too heavy) and thats it. I will probably get the Marta SLs.

Trevor.

#10 ·
Trevor! said:
I will probably get the Marta SLs.

Trevor.
Admit it...you just want to be part of the MCM program ;)

I too am balancing between the Marta (non-SL) and Mini Mono.

FWIW:
I know it doesn't mean much considering its info taken from MBA, but in their May '03 issue they said (talking about the Magura brake & wheelset)...
MountainBike Action said:
We rate the modulation much better than the Hayes and slightly better than the Hope Mini. Brute stopping power was better than the Hayes, but quite as powerful as the Mini's.
Since this was an early 2003 article, I assume it wasn't the new Mini Mono.

#11 ·
RaveOn said:
Admit it...you just want to be part of the MCM program ;)

I too am balancing between the Marta (non-SL) and Mini Mono.

FWIW:
I know it doesn't mean much considering its info taken from MBA, but in their May '03 issue they said (talking about the Magura brake & wheelset)... Since this was an early 2003 article, I assume it wasn't the new Mini Mono.
Actually, there used to be a Hope Owner's Group (HOG), too. I had created a Hope FAQ website several years ago (March 2000....wow, time flies) along with another MTBR.com poster. When I get some time, I could certainly look at re-vamping it to include the current brakes.

Ya, I remember reading that article, too. BTW, it was the original Mini they were comparing, not the new Mono Mini. Personally, looking at the source, at don't really put too much weight on their findings. I find MTBR.com to be a much better source for info.

#12 ·
Interesting quote from MBA, after owning those brakes I would rate stopping power in this order: Marta's, Mini's (165rotors), Hayes and would say the Mini's modulation is slightly better than the Marta's which tend to bite quite harshly. I did prefer the gold pads on my Mini's which improved the power...and er changed the squeel so I had a nice harmony between the front and rear! Just got the new XT's on my Epic and they are waay more powerful than even my big C2's and modulation is amazing! They feel most like the Marta's but with more power and none of that juddering at low speeds. Well my 2 cents anyway...

#13 ·
Just to supplement this thread.

Hope mono mini pro front hydraulic lever and caliper with brake fluid 2ti blts 225g
hope floating disc 160mm 78g
6 ti bolts 7g
total 310g

Hope mono mini pro rear hydraulic lever and caliper with brake fluid 2ti blts 235g
Adapter w 2 ti bolts 29g
hope floating disc 160mm 78g
6 ti bolts 7g
total 349g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.