mtbr member
    Jun 2013

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please

Hello WW's,

I have almost completed my build and just need a little advice on the last couple of parts. I know its not up to you lots standard of light but here is the the bike as it stands;

Giant XTC Composite Frame
    RockShox Reba RL
    Giant SLR Stem, seat post and handlebars (all carbon fibre)
    ESI chunky grips
    Stans ZTR Arch EX/Hope pro2 wheel set (Continental Speed King2 tyres)
    Hope Tech M4 front and rear (braided hoses)
    140mm floating rota on rear and 203mm up front
    Sram X0 Crank set with 36t Wolf tooth chainring
    Sram X0 rear derailleur
    Sram X0 Shifter (with matchmaker for Hope tech brake lever)
    Sram XX Cassette
    DMR Vault pedals (could go clipless but want to keep flats on this bike)
    Fizik alante vs Sadle (my butt can't handle anything with less padding)
    Carbon Fibre bottle cage
    Titanium bolts everywhere

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-20150114_205834_zps9qv3ewmv.jpg

Changes to be made shortly
    • Replace rear Hope M4 calliper with a Hope X2
    • Replace front 203mm rota to a 180mm
    • Trim the steerer so stem sits flush with headset
    • Trim (tidy up) all cables at the front

Now onto the forks, tempted to go rigid with a niner fork which would save 1kg or so, but really want to stick with suspension. To save a decent amount of weight I could go with a Sid XX WC but thats gonna cost a lot of $ for around a 200g saving so kind of put off by that option.

Are there any other options for replacement forks that I could shed some weight with? Also would going tubeless be worth wile? the tubes I have at the moment weigh 120g each, I ride with around 40psi in the tyres.

ps; I only use this bike for road or light off road riding so it does not get hammered at all, I have a tranceX for that purpose

mtbr member
    If only used on road or light trails, a rigid fork could be a great bet. Hard to beat that weight loss.

Also if road & lt. trails, you can likely get away with a 160mm rotor up front.

You also have more tire options available, and may be able to shed 200g or more in rubber alone.

Ahhh the pain....
    Those ProII hubs are tanks... awesome hubs, but not very WW. If you truly only use the bike for light off road, then perhaps Stans Crests laced to some American Classic hubs would save you more than a 1/2 lb.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

passed out in your garden
    take the light off

tyre pressures down to 20psi, that saves 40psi right there ;-)
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant
    coming soon: 2015 SN01 Fatbike

ups and downs
    Here's a basic question, how much does it weigh now and how much do you want to shave off?

The Hope braided steel hose is much heavier than the plastic brake hose used by Shimano and Magura.

I can't quite tell if that's a 29 or 27.5 Giant. If it's a 29er and you primarily ride road and light trail you could always switch to CX tires. Conti Mountain King CX are 32mm wide and have a lot of tread for a CX tire but only weigh 320gms each and are Black Chili rubber so they will roll fast. If you can get by with less tread the CycloX King weighs the same 320gms but has smaller knobs so it should roll smoother.

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

I like turtles
    Current weight?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    If only used on road or light trails, a rigid fork could be a great bet. Hard to beat that weight loss.

Also if road & lt. trails, you can likely get away with a 160mm rotor up front.

You also have more tire options available, and may be able to shed 200g or more in rubber alone.
    I should have enough $ available shortly to buy a set of Niner rigid forks so will do that, easy enough to swap back to the Reba's if I am taking the bike out on any rough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Those ProII hubs are tanks... awesome hubs, but not very WW. If you truly only use the bike for light off road, then perhaps Stans Crests laced to some American Classic hubs would save you more than a 1/2 lb.
    Never thought the Pro2's were that heavy so will bear that in mind, I am around 100kg so not sure the Crests would be the best option hence why I went with the Arches.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    take the light off

tyre pressures down to 20psi, that saves 40psi right there ;-)
    Yeah the light is only fitted for riding in the dark (obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Here's a basic question, how much does it weigh now and how much do you want to shave off?

The Hope braided steel hose is much heavier than the plastic brake hose used by Shimano and Magura.

I can't quite tell if that's a 29 or 27.5 Giant. If it's a 29er and you primarily ride road and light trail you could always switch to CX tires. Conti Mountain King CX are 32mm wide and have a lot of tread for a CX tire but only weigh 320gms each and are Black Chili rubber so they will roll fast. If you can get by with less tread the CycloX King weighs the same 320gms but has smaller knobs so it should roll smoother.

Thanks, the bike is a 29er and current eight is 10.4kg's, my target is to get it under 10kg's but still have suspension forks so I am almost there. The tyres option you mention would get me there but I do like the Speed Kings so will try and drop the weight else where if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Current weight?
    10.4kg

I am trying to find out how much weight I will drop by swapping the 203mm front rota to a 160mm (can also remove the adaptor then) and swapping the rear M4 calliper to a X2, trimming the steerer tube should offer a tiny bit more.

With this all changed and the addition of the Niner rigid forks I should be able to get close to 9kg, not mega light but I would be more than happy with 9kg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone had any experience with these rotors?

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-%24-kgrhqvhjcufh6s-bbmnbr-sci4tu-%7E%7E60_57.jpg

66g each, so if I swapped my existing rotors 160mm Hope saw rotor = 92g, 203mm Hope saw rotor = 169g, Brake mount for the 203 rotor = 30g Total existing weight for rotors/mount = 291g, purposed new rotors x 2 = 132g so a saving of 159g for the price of 18.

241g left to shed and I meet my target weight. Trying to find out the weight saving from swapping out the M4 calliper for an X2 calliper but can't find a list of hope calliper weights

mtbr member
    I'm currently using the Ai2 rotors. I switched to them from the RT86 Ice Tech...and they do not brake nearly as well as the RT86.

They are pretty much XC use rotors. They work well for that application. I would not trust them to do anything that involves prolonged braking.

I tried to cheat the weight gods and tried a rigid fork...and I hated it. I was not as as fast descending on my local trails...mainly due to the fact that I was not able to plow through the rough stuff as before. Took the fun out of coming down a hill for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I'm currently using the Ai2 rotors. I switched to them from the RT86 Ice Tech...and they do not brake nearly as well as the RT86.

They are pretty much XC use rotors. They work well for that application. I would not trust them to do anything that involves prolonged braking.

I tried to cheat the weight gods and tried a rigid fork...and I hated it. I was not as as fast descending on my local trails...mainly due to the fact that I was not able to plow through the rough stuff as before. Took the fun out of coming down a hill for me.
    Thanks for the response, I have ordered a pair and will see how I get on with them. For the price I had to give them a go.

Not so good news on the rigid fork option, Jenson USA won't ship Niner forks to the UK and to get the same fork in the UK will cost 450!! and for a little more I can get a Sid XX world cup so the rigid fork option is out of the window.

Wonder if these wheels are worth a punt?

2013 Ritchey WCS Vantage ii carbon 29er eheelset For Sale

And these forks?

On one ridged monocoque tapered carbon 29er fork For Sale
    Last edited by Livewire88; 01-22-2015 at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quick update,

Had the bike weighed as it is at my LBS, 10.34kg's on the park scales so I only need to save 341g's to get to target weight.

The new rotors should shed 159g's so only 182g's left to shift.
    Current DMR Vault pedals are claimed 410g's/pair so I have ordered a set of these which are a claimed 177g's/pair so that is 233g's more gone.

Not the best looking pedals!! (fugly)

Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  21.9 KB

= bike under 10kg's and job done, will just replace the rear M4 calliper with an X2 soon and thats it unless a good deal comes along for a set of lighter wheels. (sorry if this weight is not low enough for you WW's, but it seems light to me)
    Last edited by Livewire88; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    More weight gone,

Fell in love with a set of Mavic Crossmax SL wheels and had to get them, I know they are not the lightest wheels (and not carbon fibre) but I did have my heart set in a pair of Crossmax SLR's and it turns out the newer SL's are 100g lighter so went with the SL's, the pair weigh 1551g and the pair of ZTR Arch EX I have removed weigh 1869g so that is 318g lost.

Purchased a pair of 26" Contenential SuperSonic Innertubes which weigh 95g and 97g. My old tubes weighed 384g!! so that was a further 192g lost. It was quite a pain fitting the 26" tubes to the 29" wheels and I destroyed 1 SuperSonic tube in the process went to my LBS to get a 3rd and they advised me to cover the tube in chalk powder which made the job a little easier.

So a total weight drop of 510g Not yet taken the bike to get weighed but will be soon, going by the previous weight and the new bits it "should" be under the 9.5 kg mark. (still not that WW worthy I know)

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-20150214_192458_zpsxxtpvnyl.jpg
    On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-20150214_192625_zpsso6xypg2.jpg
    On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-20150214_192642_zps9ewygxal.jpg

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please-g000176d.jpg

mtbr member
    I like that they've moved away from the white hubs on the previous SLRs, and as you mentioned they've shed additional weight with the new SLs. The blacked-out rims are nicer too IMO.

You may get an unintended advantage, depending on how you want to go. As you likely know, those wheels are UST, so the nipples are completely sealed without tape. If you opt for a true UST tire as well, you can go tubeless, and needn't add the weight of rim tape nor fluid. So while the SLs are slightly heavier than some carbon counterparts, you can make up a bit of weight if tubeless is considered. (Although true UST tires are also heavier, so it could be a wash.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I like that they've moved away from the white hubs on the previous SLRs, and as you mentioned they've shed additional weight with the new SLs. The blacked-out rims are nicer too IMO.

You may get an unintended advantage, depending on how you want to go. As you likely know, those wheels are UST, so the nipples are completely sealed without tape. If you opt for a true UST tire as well, you can go tubeless, and needn't add the weight of rim tape nor fluid. So while the SLs are slightly heavier than some carbon counterparts, you can make up a bit of weight if tubeless is considered. (Although true UST tires are also heavier, so it could be a wash.)
    The funny thing is I think the SLR's would have suited my bike better, but am more than happy with the look if these wheels. The front hub shell is Carbon fibre and I am not sure if it also was on the SLR's? I assume that helped with lowering the weight (along with the larger area that was milled from the rim)

I mainly use this bike on pavement or forest paths so the Speed Kings II are perfect for that terrain, I would go tubeless in an instant if it ment more weight saved and as long as I could find a UST tyre with a similar tread pattern (or lack of) as the Speed Kings. Otherwise it would be pointless because I run the tyres at 35PSI minimum for what it is used for, so no low pressures required here.

Thanks for the reply, it is nice to get some positive input as I don't have any friends who are interested in MTBing and the misses just gives me stick about my bikes

mtbr member
    The SLRs have had carbon housings on the front hub for a while, so probably the new milling process is responsible for the new savings - and maybe they've tweaked the hub internals too.

I did some investigation on tires. Given the use, you can use almost anything. Those Speed Kings are already pretty light at 465g (although actual weights vary a lot on tires).

I looked at true UST tires, and they're much heavier, and you have a lot less choice. I think that's a blocker.

So, just sorting this out as I type, if you moved to Schwalbe Furious Freds, they are a claimed 360g each (but weight closer to 380 in actuality). Tread pattern is similar to your exisiting. Save ~200g there.

Although not UST, you can run them tubeless quite easily. You'd shed ~200g of tubes, add ~70g of fluid, no rim tape required, so shed another 130g.

So, you could lose another 330g total, which is significant.

Those FF tires are limited, but more than enough for the use you've described, and likely similar to your exisitng.
    Last edited by phlegm; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Been to the shop today and had the bike weighed and it is now 9.53kg, the next target is 9kg!

Cool I wasn't sure if they painted the SLR front hubs and thanks for the info on the Furious Freds, they will be my next purchase along with some stans fluid. Will also be swapping out the rear M4 calliper to a X2 but can't find any info on their weight but assume there will be around 50g+ saving there? it won't cost anything because I will just sell the M4 calliper to pay for the X2 calliper.

Finally (getting used to saying that now) when funds allow I will look to get Sid XX World Cup Forks, bike should then be under 9kg's and I won't take it further than that.

passed out in your garden

On the home stretch, just need a little advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire88 View Post
    and I won't take it further than that.
    famous last words
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant
    coming soon: 2015 SN01 Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    famous last words
    Tell me about it!!

And look what I just found
    CUSTOM 2014 RockShox SID World Cup RCT3 29" 29er Suspension Fork Carbon Steerer | eBay