Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hey weenies...

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  2ndgen 
#1 ·
What would you do to a Roscoe III to lighten it up?

It's supposedly 27.9lbs with a 6.4lb frame (or 12246.99399 grams for you extremists for the whole bike :lol: ).

My first thoughts would be:
UST Kendas,
XTR Crankset/Fr. Der.,
Easton Carbon Seat Post,
WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle,

I'd add on:
a set of Bar Ends
Fox Remote Fork Lockout
Lock On Grips.

:confused:

Besides that, what would it take to get it down to 25lbs?
(if possible?)

=============================================================

Specs:

Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted-aluminum mainframe and chainstays, TopSwing magnesium link

Fork:
FOX Talas 140RP24, 140mm/120mm/100mm adjustable travel

Component Highlights:
SRAM X.0 trigger shifters and rear derailleur;
Shimano XT crankset;
Avid Elixir CR brakes;
Bontrager Rhythm Pro Scandium wheels,
XDX 2.4-in. tires,
Race X Lite stem,
Race Lite OS Riser bar,
King Earl seatpost,
Rhythm Pro saddle

See less See more
#2 ·
Lock on grips are kinda hefty, and i imagine that fork is kinda hefty too. If you are set on bar ends, then you probably could get a straight bar and save a whole bunch there. Could be a good oppurunity to go a lighterweight stem and non OS bar for a few more grams.

Wheels are a common starting point but I dont know enough about yours to comment.

#3 ·
Bar ends are just wrong on a 5.5" travel trail bike with riser bars. Time for you to face facts that you've bought the wrong bike if you want it to be light and have bar ends.

What would you do to a Roscoe III to lighten it up?
Personally, I would ride it until stuff broke. It doesn't need lightening up. If the tyres were not appropriate for my riding, I'd buy new ones. If the saddle was uncomfortable, I'd buy a new one. I'm a big fan of lock-on grips because... they are 100% secure and the weight is worth it to be able to dismantle the bar components to take the fork off for maintenance.

If you really want to get it down to 25lbs, you are going to have to change your approach entirely. You need to weigh every component to understand your options and how to spot the cost-effective changes. Dropping 3 lbs out of the weight may well change the sort of riding you will be able to tackle on the bike... because, for instance, you will be fitting tyres that perhaps compromise performance. That said, you are aiming for a bike 2 and a bit lbs heavier than a certain Ibis Mojo that has been doing the rounds recently.

Comments on your list:

UST Kendas ... UST are heavier than converted normal tyres. UST generally does not save weight with like for like tyre choices. Stans conversion does save weight, but isn't as secure. You have a world of choice of tyres. It doesn't look like you've done the necessary research.

XTR crankset... is ~100g lighter than XT. You save a chunk of weight for a chunk of money but the XT is a great performer.

XTR Fr. deraillieur... waste of money, but not much money.

Easton carbon seatpost... I've got one. It performs well. It gets scratched from height changes. A Thomson keeps its looks better. A Thomson Masterpiece can separate you from a lot of cash and is lighter. There are other options, but many will look out of place on a 5.5" travel bike.

WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle - saddles should be bought primarily because they fit you, but buying a heavy saddle like the WTB means you will not achieve your weight weenie target.

Your post suggests you have some thinking to do as to how you want this bike to end up. Your initial set of proposed changes need reconsidering.

#6 ·
I'd agree that the bike is pretty light already for an all mountain bike. I'd ask yourself why you want it lighter. Durability is a bigger factor usually with that type of bike. Also, i don't think the remote fox lockout will work with that fork (or at least with that damper on that fork)

#7 ·
I would get non UST Kenda Nevegals and convert them, Easton EC70 FR riser bar, Thomson seatpost (way more durable for that application), XTR crank, NO bar ends, do get your lock on grips because they rule, and save some cash up for a hot set of all-mountain wheels (Hope Pro2 with Stan's ZTR Flow rims, for example).

Oh, and I say if it's the right size, keep that RXL stem, since they're pretty darned light for how strong they are, and an OS carbon bar will be strong as well.

#8 ·
2ndgen said:
UST Kendas,
Do not do UST. Get tubeless ready with sealant (Bontrager should be compatible - are rims tubeless ready?), or just regular with sealant.

2ndgen said:
XTR Crankset/Fr. Der.,
Forget fr. der. Almost the same weight. XT is fine - not cost effective to upgrade.

2ndgen said:
Easton Carbon Seat Post,
Only if you like fiddling with torque wrenches or impaling yourself. Get Thompson Masterpiece.

2ndgen said:
a set of Bar Ends
Lock On Grips.
Get Ergons with short bar ends. Both lock-on, and reasonably light.

2ndgen said:
Avid Elixir CR brakes;
Get Avid's Ti bolt caliper mounting kit.

Get Halo Hex bolt on skewers for wheels.

Stem, bar etc. - take them off, weight it, and make a table of possible savings vs cost.

#12 ·
Ok, so here's the conclusion I've come to after doing my research (thanks to you guys...):

A 25lb XC/Trail MTB probably wouldn't be "reasonable",
especially for as "hard" as I ride.
I might have to give up strength in too many places.
I guess if post build I can get the bike down to stock HiFi weight (just over 27lbs),
but have it be near bulletproof and balanced right with a solid feel, that would be ideal.

I liken it to using a steel roadie for touring and an aluminum/carbon roadie for training.
The steel frame would be much more durable and comfortable and I'd get far more
out of it than I would out of the other two. For it's purpose, it would be right.

So, I guess the 27lb target for a built up Roscoe (including weight adding accessories
like bar ends and a remote fork lockout) would be right.

The HiFi I tested felt light and I wondered how it would take a beating,
but it (a Deluxe) did feel super "tight" (in the best ways)...solid.
So, if I could get a built up Roscoe down to that weight, I should be happy.
Same weight, way more technologically advanced (not that simplicity isn't
a great thing either) and much stronger.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

#13 ·
2ndgen said:
Ok, so here's the conclusion I've come to after doing my research (thanks to you guys...):

A 25lb XC/Trail MTB probably wouldn't be "reasonable"
It just depends on the starting point, a sub 25 pound durable FS trail bike is doable. This bike is sitting at 24.9 pounds with no real exotic parts, and I weigh just under 200 pounds "in season". If I put the adjustable travel fork back on it to give it 140mm travel capability, it jumps up to 25.3 pounds.

Attachments

#14 ·
rockyuphill said:
It just depends on the starting point, a sub 25 pound durable FS trail bike is doable. This bike is sitting at 24.9 pounds with no real exotic parts, and I weigh just under 200 pounds "in season". If I put the adjustable travel fork back on it to give it 140mm travel capability, it jumps up to 25.3 pounds.
I'm confused. Which adjustable travel 140mm fork is only 180g heavier than the SID Team?

I think 27lbs is a sensible target weight for a WW project that is still going to be ridden hard, making full use of 140mm travel. For the type of riding I'm thinking about, 160mm XC brakes wouldn't be sufficient and 2.2 Race King tyres wouldn't be the first choice.

Honestly, this will be the last time I mention the bar ends/riser bar combo ..:madman:

#18 ·
rockyuphill said:
My "starting point" is just over 28lbs.

And I definitely will be making full use of those 5+ inches of travel,
but I'll also be using it for all day/week Epics.

I'm just over 200lbs myself, but am on my way back down to my "normal" 180lbs.

#20 ·
Curmy said:
Magura Thor has a 20mm through axle, and it is 1785g.. That's 300g, but still..
Taking those 300g and adding in the 700g tyres (I'm more suggesting that the class of tyre, rather than any specific tire) the OP wants to run rather than the 480g of some Race Kings and we've added back 1.6 lbs compared to rockyuphill's build. The Thor gives you direct mounting for 180mm disk rotors, so the brake upgrade would be pretty much limited to the difference in rotor weights compared to rockyuphill's.

I think where the OP has got to is sensible. Adding 1.6lbs to rockyuphill's build gives us a 26.6lb build based on full XTR, but with tyre and fork choices that won't be limiting.

That said, in this month's MBUK group test of trail suspension forks, the Thor is marked down for a number of reasons. They particularly mention it having a very narrow sweet spot between small bump suppleness and big hit/brake dive handling and fiddly travel adjust controls. Their weight of 1908g probably included the remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.