bonkin' clyde

HELP, One of these has to go. NRS/Mantra/Cirex

Hey everyone. I am getting scared I'm getting into an upgrade/get-more-bikes frenzy. I'm speaking of frames here (two built up, and the Cirex as partially built).

Giant NRS '04
    Klein Mantra Race '99: Carbon Boom
    Simplon Cirex '01

All are light XC bikes. I am thinking of selling off the Mantra because the suspension always feels wierd (esp. downhill) even tho the bike is sick-fast. No need to wax eloquent on teh NRS. Its tried and true. Now the addition of the Cirex is what makes me thing I need to get rid of one of the others. Give me some feedback on these bikes.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    Hey everyone. I am getting scared I'm getting into an upgrade/get-more-bikes frenzy. I'm speaking of frames here (two built up, and the Cirex as partially built).

Giant NRS '04
    Klein Mantra Race '99: Carbon Boom
    Simplon Cirex '01

All are light XC bikes. I am thinking of selling off the Mantra because the suspension always feels wierd (esp. downhill) even tho the bike is sick-fast. No need to wax eloquent on teh NRS. Its tried and true. Now the addition of the Cirex is what makes me thing I need to get rid of one of the others. Give me some feedback on these bikes.
    Feedback on the bikes? Huh? How about you give us some feedback on YOU?

You mention the Mantra's suspension feel's wierd - how, why?

NRS - it's ... well ... ummmm. Okay, i'm biased, so I won't tell you to sell the Mantra, even though I think you should.

Why did you get the Cirex? Was it purchased because it was a good deal, or you just HAD to have it, or ..... ?

Need more info to say for sure (but i'll still tell you to sell the Mantra). I'm visciously fighting off the urge for a .... rigid bike myself. You don't need to look at the bike's as much as you do yourself.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

That's right....
    that mantra frame design is the stupidest concept ive ever come across....
    the reason it feels funny is because the BB is part of the rear triangle... so basically when your standing upright descending the rear triangle is active, thus the BB is active moving up and down. so instead of the bike moving beneath your body the bike is actually taking you for a ride bouncing your legs up and down with each movement of the rear triangle.

the reason its so fast (or as fast as a HT atleast) is because there is NO pedaling input to the rear suspension.
    sorry for the rant, but i hate that frame and i could never understand what klein was trying to accomplish. and yes, ive ridden one, and your absolutely right, they do feel funny its not just you :-)

bonkin' clyde

well, I must confess

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Why did you get the Cirex? Was it purchased because it was a good deal, or you just HAD to have it, or ..... ?
    Not only was it a good deal, I had lusted after them for some time due to their leight weight, FSR-style rear susp. design, and well, cool-factor.

I didn't get the Mantra coz I wanted a Mantra per se. There was a bike listed locally with hayes hydros, King hubs laced to X517 rims, a Thomson Seatpost etc for $200. Thats why I got it.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Members who have read this thread: 0