mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Help me spend some money!

Its not to often that I have a chunk of money to spend in one shot. Im usually scraping 40 bucks here and there untill I have enough.

Bike is a large'12 flash 29er alloy with lefty. Its about 24 pounds as it sits right now. Stock other then hope rear hub, ritchey foam grips and xt pedals. Tires are snake skin ralph on the front amd fastrak lk on the rear. I like the tires and untill they wear out they will stay.

Im not on super weight reduction but I want to be buying lighter parts when I can.

Will only have about 1200 to spend.
    I was thinking of american classic 101 rims and ditching my infeno 23 hoops. They run about 200.00

Crank is next on my list. Currently a sram 1000 bb30 crank that weighs in over 850g with out bearings. Jenson has an x9 crank(89 bucks) for cheap and that will allow me to run a spiderless wolftooth ring and save a ton of weight. I think the x9 arms and spindle are under 600g. Also losing the the shifter and FD will be nice. Safe to say a good pound just from the crank and rings.

Current brakes work fine but would love a set of hope x2 race. Not a ton of weight savings over my elixr 3 but im hopeing for some better performance. I guess considering the rotors and all as a package they will be a couple hundered grams lighter.

Probably sitting near $1000 right now. Really need a new saddle and that will run around 100-150(phenom expert) was hoping to squeez a bar and seat post in there to but not sure I can swing it.

Should I be spending the $500-$600 on the hopes? I wont get many chances to get them again and thats why I am leaning towards them.

Like I said im not super crazy about weight but buying new parts that are heavier then the original seems crazy to me. The rear casette is the only really heavy part left (sram 1030) but it works and i cant justify hundreds of dollars on a new one.

Seem like the right stuff?
    Thanks

Formerly of Kent
    WolfTooth don't make a spiderless ring for BB30 yet, as far as I know.

Rims, good idea. After that, brake rotors are a cheap way to lose weight.

If I were you, I'd build an excel spreadsheet, and figure out where you are going to get the best grams-lost-per-dollar ratio.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This forum has been very bad for my spending habits. I started reading last year about rolling weight after deciding that I wanted to lighten up my bike. So when I weighed my tires & wheels, the wheels came in at about 2200 grams. Really heavy. I ended up with a set of Stan's Crest ZTR wheels that weigh just under 1500 grams. The tires were also heavy & so I replaced those with Schwalbes (NN front, RRon rear). All totaled, the bike lost more than 2 lbs in the process. The proof though was when I rode it. It was like a completely new bike. The new wheelset/tire combination really woke up the handling, & made it so much more responsive & "flickable". Granted, I'm a small person that rides a small bike, but it really made a big difference. Now I'm trying to find a way to afford the same for the commuter. It's a sickness.

Anyway, the point is that if you can get some weight out of the rolling parts of your bike, do those first. You'll feel it most in those areas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks. A few have the gxp ring working with no work and a decent chainline. I will ve getting the hope floating rotors at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im hoping that the wheels will be a noticeable difference with the American classic 101. I hear they are a lot stiffer then the crest at the same weight but not a lot of reviews out there.

I think I am going to pass on the hope floating rotors and save some money on some light weight (cheaper) rotors. Hopefully this will free up some money for a carbon bar.

There's always next year.
    rotating parts first, as others have mentioned. I'd hit the rims for sure- make sure to account for spokes/wheel rebuild if you haven't already. I think you can find MRP Bling Rings that will match up to the X9 BB30 crank. I would actually think about replacing the cassette even though you don't want too-- will help with with weight (some of those OEM cassettes are boat anchors) and might match up better with a single ring set up.

My 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Spread sheet! Good idea!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like some bills have reared their ugly head. I did pick up my x9 crank, that alone with the wolftooth ring has save just under 300g. That is not including FD and shifter ect.

Hopefully get a saddle as mine has been driving me nuts lately.
    Holding of on the brakes for sure but I really going to try for the new hoops.