the wrench

help me savesome weight

right now my bike is sitting at 27.5 lbs but i want to shave some weigt off of it as cheap as possible. some things such as aluminum chainring bolts and grank bolts i will not do cause i tend to strip and break those things. i am mostly talking parts in general.rigfh now my current set up is

2002 rocky mouintain hammer (possibly changing to a 2004 nrs frame)
    2004 marzocchi marathon sl
    deore hubs
    mavic x221 rims
    dt champ 2.0 spokes will build up with db ones soon.
    maxxis ultralite tubes
    panaracer fire xc pro 1.8
    avid sd7 levers
    lx shifters
    avid bb mech discs
    race face prodigy xc cranks
    race face prodigy xc bb
    sram chain
    sram 7.0 cassette (soon to be 9.0 when it wears out)
    prodigy xc bars and stem(considering going easton flatbar)
    fsa orbit xl II headset.
    rmb seatpost and selle rmb sadle
    odi lock on grips.
    lizard skin cs protector
    profile cage

most of the paryts i am willing to change but some of the thingh that came to mind first were too expensive. and oh yeah strength matters too i ride hard, and the discs have to stay too.

i weigh 180 lbs so i dont want to go super light like an alien post cause i just dont trust its seat clamp. and when i crash i crash hard as well.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    right now my bike is sitting at 27.5 lbs but i want to shave some weigt off of it as cheap as possible. some things such as aluminum chainring bolts and grank bolts i will not do cause i tend to strip and break those things. i am mostly talking parts in general.rigfh now my current set up is

2002 rocky mouintain hammer (possibly changing to a 2004 nrs frame)
    2004 marzocchi marathon sl
    deore hubs
    mavic x221 rims
    dt champ 2.0 spokes will build up with db ones soon.
    maxxis ultralite tubes
    panaracer fire xc pro 1.8
    avid sd7 levers
    lx shifters
    avid bb mech discs
    race face prodigy xc cranks
    race face prodigy xc bb
    sram chain
    sram 7.0 cassette (soon to be 9.0 when it wears out)
    prodigy xc bars and stem(considering going easton flatbar)
    fsa orbit xl II headset.
    rmb seatpost and selle rmb sadle
    odi lock on grips.
    lizard skin cs protector
    profile cage
    The Fire XC pros are heavy. Look into the Kenda Karma DTC's. Higher volume, less rolling resistance, and the one I just got weighs 453 grams.

Switch to foam grips

You might try bolt tuning with Al bolts on other things such as brake lever and shifter clamp bolts, you aren't likely to strip those.

Pazzaz stem, $16 at JensonUSA. You'll save 80-90 grams.

Easton EA50 aluminum flat bar, $20 at Supergo 163 grams. If you crash hard, you probably do not want to go carbon.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

the wrench
    thanks for the suggestion but the foam grips just dont have the grip and feel of the odi ruffian grips. all though between the bars and stem i can get an ea 50 from my friend which is still new for about 20cad and the stem pretty cheap because i work at a shop. so that should save me at least 180 grams.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Some lighter wheels would help. Depends on what you are willing to spend though.

the wrench
    i have considered lighter wheels but they would have to be comprable in strength due to the fact that my rear wheels last me a season and a half tops. next time i build my wheels up i might go for some 1.8 spokes

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    i have considered lighter wheels but they would have to be comprable in strength due to the fact that my rear wheels last me a season and a half tops. next time i build my wheels up i might go for some 1.8 spokes
    Wheels like the WTB lazerlite hubs built to VXC rims are tough, light and not expensive, or you could get like King hubs if want them to last a life time.....
    I reccomend you look up Mike Garcia for the wheels, great guy!

the wrench
    tanks for the suggestion about the hub and wheel combo but i hace heard bad things about wtb hubs exploding and such. are the vxc rims made by wtb? cause if it is then i can get it through the shop i work at. btw i build all of my own wheels but its still good to know that there are still some good builders out there for the people that cant be bothered to build their own.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    tanks for the suggestion about the hub and wheel combo but i hace heard bad things about wtb hubs exploding and such. are the vxc rims made by wtb? cause if it is then i can get it through the shop i work at. btw i build all of my own wheels but its still good to know that there are still some good builders out there for the people that cant be bothered to build their own.
    No the hubs are just rebaged Am classics. To be honest, I had a manufacturing problem with my front hub, and sadly returned them, but Mike garcia is such a great guy and made the whole problem easy. My next wheels are Kings laced to either the DT swiss rim, Mavic 717 or Mavic 819.
    VXC rims are made in Australia by Velocity. You could also try a DT swiss rim I quess
    Either way, new wheels is going to be the best way to save weight.

the wrench
    oh yeah now i know the rims that you are talking avout they are like a grey colour with a deep profile. we have a pile of these laying around at my shop and they are only 7 bucks for me cause we got them on some crazy blowout sale

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    oh yeah now i know the rims that you are talking avout they are like a grey colour with a deep profile. we have a pile of these laying around at my shop and they are only 7 bucks for me cause we got them on some crazy blowout sale
    Grey? Mine were black, and you can get them in other crazy colours, but I don't remember grey, does it have like a cracked affect to them??

ballbuster

you can do....

lighter wheels and lighter disc brakes. Avids are quite the boat anchors, eventhough they perform well and are relatively cheap. I swapped my Avids out for Magura Claras (also cheap) and saved 2/3 pound. I dunno if I'd recommend them for everybody, but there are light brakes out there that are less hassle. They work well for me, but a lot of folks whine about them.

I did Bonti Mustang rims, and they have held up nicely to my 210# (now 195#). I got mine built up at Universalcycles.com for $215 for the set with XT hubs, although XTs are boat anchors. Next time Imonna do some Hopes or WTB light hubs.

the wrench
    no they dont have a crackle finish but they seem to be almost a metalicy grey with not much of a braking surface almost like they were meant to be a disc specific rim. also, do the ones that you are talking about have eyelets.

heres a link to the same ones that i have in my shop
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    no they dont have a crackle finish but they seem to be almost a metalicy grey with not much of a braking surface almost like they were meant to be a disc specific rim. also, do the ones that you are talking about have eyelets.

heres a link to the same ones that i have in my shop
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
    No these are the ones.
    http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/3/63.htm?1