mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help me save weight? 2001 Norco Team Ti.

I've decided I'm fed up with my bike being heavy....This bike retailed for CAN$5400 when I bought it and it weighs 26lbs....NOT impressive by any standards, especially considering my previous bike cost $2700 and weighed 23.5lbs.

There are some pretty pricey parts on here, so I'm not sure where to begin (other than the wheels, which I am hoping to replace with King/517s, Hugi240/517s or XTR/517s.....dont' know whether to go 28H or 32H, or what spokes to get). Money is an issue with me, so I may not be able to afford much at all beyond wheels.

Frame: Norco Team Ti frame
    Fork: 2001 Xfly 80mm (I don't want to go SID - too flexy)
    Wheelset: Shimano WH-M575 paired spoke disc/rim-compatible wheels
    Tubes: generic 1.75-2.2
    Tires: Panaracer FireXC Pro kevlar
    Headset: FSA Orbit UF
    Stem: Easton Mg60
    Bar: Easton CT2 riser
    Grips: OEM rubber
    Levers: Avid SD7
    Shifters: XTR
    Brakes: Avid SD7
    BB: UN-52
    Cassette: Shimano 9spd XTR 12-34 with ti ring (#953 I think)
    Deraillers: XTR
    Crankset: RaceFace Next LP with racerings 22/32/44
    Chain: SRAM PC59
    Seatpost: Easton EA-70
    Saddle: Selle Italia Oktavio (252g according to weightweenie.starbikes)
    CAbles: Jagwire/shimano
    Bottle cage: Specialized rib cage

Thank you for your help!!

mtbr member
    the panaracers aren't the lightest tires in the world so you may be able to save 100 or more grams just by switching to conti's or other light tires.

you could save another 50g or so at the seatpost going carbon.
    changing the grips to foam would save a little weight.
    you might want to try another fork to save another 100g.
    use stans or some other tubeless setup to save another 100g at least.
    you could also save a little on your chain by going to a pc-99.

Just passing through....

A few suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ~ScaryFast~
    I've decided I'm fed up with my bike being heavy....This bike retailed for CAN$5400 when I bought it and it weighs 26lbs....NOT impressive by any standards, especially considering my previous bike cost $2700 and weighed 23.5lbs.

There are some pretty pricey parts on here, so I'm not sure where to begin (other than the wheels, which I am hoping to replace with King/517s, Hugi240/517s or XTR/517s.....dont' know whether to go 28H or 32H, or what spokes to get). Money is an issue with me, so I may not be able to afford much at all beyond wheels.

Stem: The Easton weighs about 175-180g's. A $25 Pazzaz from JensonUSA is about
    140g's, or a $79 Syntace F99 from Light-Bikes.com or other shop is about 110 g's.

Grips: Get foam, you'll get used to them (I like them better than rubber anyway) and they'll
    save 60-70 grams for less than $10. The cheapest weight savings on the bike.

Levers: There are levers that are much lighter (Paul's love levers, FRM, etc) but they will
    cost you $80-$100, unless you get them on Ebay. You would save 60-70 grams
    there.

Tubes: Stan's or Eclipse (or homemade) tubeless systems would save up to 150 grams
    and decrease rolling resistance as well as help prevent flats.

Tires: I've heard really good things about the Panaracer Fire XC's, but they are not the
    lightest. A set of Nokian NBX lites would drop another 150 or so grams.

Seatpost: A carbon seatpost would drop some weight.

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti would save over 100 grams for about $70.

Quick Releases: You didn't mention what you have, but stock steel QR's usually weigh in
    the 125 g range. Bolt on skewers such as the Speedcific's from Odds n
    Endos are 65 g's for roughly $10, and I find them just as fast or faster for
    removing a tire as the QR's.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

YIKES! They hid some heavy parts in there!

~ScaryFast~

Wheels

Wheels are a great place. The Paired spoke wheels are not a design favorite of mine. Heavy, Shimano specific parts, bleh.

Go with some lightweight tubes, or even cheaper some 1.0-1.5's. Those will weigh half of what the tubes you have, seriously. Easy 100-200g savings there.

Another easy place to shed some weight. Lots of choices, even newer choices by Panaracer. The Panaracer tires I've had tend to come in a little heavy, but not obscene.

Cheap stems from Price point, Ritchey, Supergo, Performance all will save you about 50g. Got a 1 1/8 X 130mm stem for $30 and it came in at 159g.

Comfy but not light. For little cash the Cane Creek are not bad... I've seen 'em for $20 and 175g, or go with the Avid SD Mag's. Same deal $20-$25 for 175g. About a 25g savings, or go with the FRM's Paul's or the like, but a lot more $$. Will generally save about 80g or so then.

Ditch! Ditch! Can be used as a boat anchor! A UN 72 will drop you 100g for $20 bucks. A larger savings can come from a Ti BB. No real experience with 'em though.

Savings possible with different rings, wouldn't bother until needed though.

Easton posts, except the carbons, are not lightweight leaders. Thompson are not bad, have had good luck with Ritchey, Titec, and a few others too.

Not too bad, but are there others that you like/can tolerate. I'm on a Vetta for 170g

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Good luck!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Hey Wei-Ben (hope I spelled that right)...nice to see you over here at MTBR.com

So, does this new rapid weight-loss program mean I'll see you on the O-Cup circuit?

Ditch the tubes and tires....easy weight savings. I use generic MEC 1.5-1.9 tubes at 115g. I tried Stan's for ~4 months, it's OK, but ended-up going back to tubes. I just change tires way too much to be worth the hassle.

For a nice, light tire, go with the Panaracer TrailBlaster 1.8 at ~425g/tire. I find these to be a great tire for Kanata Lakes and Fortune. Otherwise, I use a set of kevlar IRC Mythos, which are a little heavier, but are a great all-around tire for our conditions. For typical O-Cup stuff, the TBs are perfect.

King hubs are NOT light...but, they are reliable. I have a rear King SS disc hub and it is phenomenal....I won't be ditching it. The Hugi 240s are really light and *seem* reliable, although, there are issues with them. Also check-out the WTB light weight hubs.

Ditch the stem. If you are interested, I have a Titec Phat Head Ti stem (120x0) 140g, if you'd like. I'm currently using a FSA XC-120 stem.

Ditch the BB and go with a Ti spindle. You are light enough. I have an older GT Ti (150g), but I believe the spindle will be too short.

Ditch the saddle and go with a Selle Italia SLR....damn nice saddle, comfy too. ~140g. Even lighter if you strip the leather and foam....which I did.

And, while you are at it, ditch the shifters, front and rear derailleurs, cogset, granny and big rings and go singlespeed!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Oh, and at your weight, I wouldn't be too concerned about a SID. I've been using one for 3 yrs and they are great, light-weight (2.7-2.9lbs), reliable forks. In fact, Karl is using a '03 SID Team and he loves it...and he rides hard and ain't the lightest of racers either at 190lbs.

If you are interested, I have a 4-month old '01 SID Race (~2.6lbs). That would easily drop close to 1lbs off your X-Fly (3.6 lbs).
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

almost 2 y later.....

I guess it's almost 2 years from when I started this post, but my bike is definitely a different beast now....I have now changed almost every single part since buying the bike, with the exception of a few drivetrain parts.

I have dropped about 4.5 lbs and my bike performs better than ever. The only thing it cost was plenty of money.

Fork: 2001 SID XC
    Wheelset: CK Classic/Mavic 517/DT Supercomp
    Tubes: generic 1.25-1.5
    Tires: Hutchinson Python Airlight
    Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
    Stem: Syntace F99
    Bar: MaxM MX-1
    Grips: cork tape
    BB: UN-72
    Cassette: Shimano 9spd XT 11-34
    Pedals: Eggbeater stainless
    Seatpost: Thomsons Masterpiece
    Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide FX Peperoncini
    Bottle cage: Specialized rib cage pro

(this pic is a little dated, but I think all that's changed is the seatpost and headset)
    Last edited by ~ScaryFast~; 11-04-2005 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

sexy!

The bike looks great!
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Bike-shop employee.
    Wai-Ben.
    I love your bike.
    ill admit ive always been slightly jealous knowing that your bike is the lightest mtb bike on the team...just slightly lighter then my s-works.

lol
    go queen's university mountain bike team and go frank's red hot mountain bike team.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks.....and thanks to Skip for reviving this old post hehe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    No worries man, I am building up 2 new bikes and once I get them done I will post some pics. One is a Jamis hardtail and the other is a Liteville FS
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt