mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Help me lighten a 5spot

I am looking to lighten my 5spot, turn it more towards a light trail bike vs its current AMish setup. It seems like carbon rims could be the ticket. The Chinese carbon rims being sold by LightBike seem s to be getting a lot of good press here on MTBR and I am thinking about giving them a try. I figure that I would easily save about 300 grams over my current DT Swiss 5.1d rims setup ghetto tubeless with 20" bmx tubes. But I am a little worried about durability.

Another option I have been kicking around is building up a new wheel set with the new WTB Frequency i23 rims. A pair would be about 150 grams *lighter than my current rims / ghetto tubeless setup but would cost less than half as much as the Chinese carbon rims. With the saved $$$ I was thinking about getting a new lighter crankset to replace my SLX crankset and going 1x9 with a bling ring. Going to the 1x9 setup should shave an additional 1 pound or more off the bike. *

What's goings to be the more noticeable change?

mtbr member
    Aloha,

I can't speak for the WTB rims but can say the LB AM Carbon rims are working out for me. Have had the 26" in the rear since earlier this year and took the bike to 2+ weeks in CO riding. Not to mention all the trashing I do to it here in Hawaii (ROCKS, Roots and junk) the wheels are holding up great.

I've had the 650b front wheel now for several months, rocking away. The true up real nice, hold the tension and nice, stiff and air up and hold air ghetto tubeless style real great. The rear rim has got a few nice "SCRATCHES" from rocks and stuff and they're still holding up.

Once again, I can't answer your direct question of "What's going to be the more noticeable change". All I can say it the rims are wide, hold tires great and hold up great. Good luck with the research.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Tim -

I'm beating on a set of the WTB i19 rims on my Blur TRc - pretty much the same kinda' trails you're riding, and they have been sweet. Set up UST rear/tubeless ready front tires, yellow rim tape and a bit of sealant only. So far, they've been great. I can only think the i23 rims would be just as good. Hell, the skinnier versions seem pretty damn tough, unless you ride like a bowling ball. The other bikes are a mix of older Stan's Arch and Flows. Haven't had any issues with them as yet either.

You'll save weight anyhow, just by ditching the two ring setup. How much from a new crank depends on your wallet. I picked up a new XTR crank last spring for right around half price, NIB. Deals are around. If you feel like hacking the 32t ring, could just stick with your current crank, but still lose a bit of weight overall, and sink the money into the wheels and other parts.

Figure this though - you'll likely still want bash protection, yeah? So either still running a bash, or a guide with a taco bash.

What else you running/willing to swap out, and what sort of budget? Fork? Tires?

Swapped to a Race Face Turbine 70mm stem and SixC DH bar as well, on both rides. Light, stiff, uh, not cheap though.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Free things.....
    Remove the stem top-cap. Once the stem is pinched on, that cap is for looks.
    Remove 1/2 the rotor bolts. 3 holds. Use 4 if you are concerned.

I've done both of those things and have had no problems for a decade.
    If you can't handle these suggestions, that's fine. I weigh 150lbs.

Next.....
    Get all Ti bolts for brake calipers.
    Get a light bars. MonkeyLite SLs.
    Get a lighter seat.
    Get a Thomson Masterpiece with Ti bolts.
    Get Stan's Arch rims on Stan's hubs.
    Go tubeless with a light tire.

The list goes on.