mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Help me get under 10kg

Consider it a hobby, would like to see if I can get this bike under 10kg. Need to lose approx 120g. Don't want any fancy exotic parts, needs to stand up to regular riding. Don't want to go tubeless at this time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Help me get under 10kg-dscf2189.jpg

Rock Shox Reba 120mm, 15mm Maxle
    Rolf Ralos wheels, 26"
    Continental X-King 2.2
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Spank oozy stem
    Loaded Xlite carbon bar
    ESI Chunky grips
    Sigma BC 8.12 computer
    Magura MT8 brakes
    Magura Storm SL rotors, 160f/140r
    J&L Titanium seatpost
    Vuelta saddle
    XX1 drivetrain
    Wolftooth direct mount chainring
    Xpedo spry pedals

Frame weight: 2032g

mtbr member
    Easy, pick any one of the following:

-lightest xkings (performance) are 620g - not sure which version you have - try Schwalbe Rocket Rons, 2.25 liteskin, 465g, for minimum 155g savings with just one tire, 310g total

-don't think Selle Bassano makes the Vuelta anymore, but their current lightest Pro level saddle is the M1 Air at 265g. A carbon eBay saddle is ~110g for minimum 155g savings

-Xpedo Spry are 260g , Crank Bros eggbeater 11s are 186g, for 74g savings, then drop the bike computer to bring you to the 120g savings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I do have the lightest x-kings. Seemed like a good balance between performance and weight. With the significant weight reduction of the Rocket Rons, how is the durability?

Will check out the carbon saddle. Always thought these looked wildly uncomfortable, but reviews seem to say otherwise.

Would like to stay with platform pedals for now, just don't like the feeling of being clipped in on a mountain bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electro992 View Post
    I do have the lightest x-kings. Seemed like a good balance between performance and weight. With the significant weight reduction of the Rocket Rons, how is the durability?

Will check out the carbon saddle. Always thought these looked wildly uncomfortable, but reviews seem to say otherwise.

Would like to stay with platform pedals for now, just don't like the feeling of being clipped in on a mountain bike.

Thanks!
    The liteskin aren't aren't overly durable, so you may want to choose snakeskin - still with the pair of tires you should still meet your weight target.

Saddles are tough to recommend. The shape may not work, carbon or otherwise. Sometimes not too bad to try a cheaper eBay version.

I hear you on the pedals - personal choice. The Xpedos were surprisingly light for platforms.