mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Are Hayes El Camino brakes really heavy?

Just built up a Santa Cruz Blur XC. It came out really nice, but it was heavier than expected. It was 24.6 lb., 2.8 lb. heavier than my ti hardtail. Build is almost identical excpet for the brakes. Hardtail has Magura Marta SL, Blur XC has Hayes El Camino.
    How much difference is in the brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Same question

Anyone have accurate weights on those brakes (El Caminos)? I'm on the fence between the Hayes Mag plus (basically regular mags but with carbon levers and ti hardware) and the el caminos. I was about to post a new thread, but decided to add to this one. Thanks.

mechmann_mtb
    the new juicy 7 carbons look pretty damn sweet. don't know weight though.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    the new juicy 7 carbons look pretty damn sweet. don't know weight though.
    Look at the Oro Puro. Mmmmmm....tasty. I've got the regular Oros and I think they stop incredibly well and modulate better, IMO, than Martas.

http://content.mtbr.com/TRD_12_234crx.aspx

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    From what I read, the El Caminos are close in weight to the HFX Mag Plus's. I have the HFX Mags and they work good . The price difference is quite a bit more than the weight difference is worth, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat
    Just built up a Santa Cruz Blur XC. It came out really nice, but it was heavier than expected. It was 24.6 lb., 2.8 lb. heavier than my ti hardtail. Build is almost identical excpet for the brakes. Hardtail has Magura Marta SL, Blur XC has Hayes El Camino.
    How much difference is in the brakes?
    For what it's worth, the El Camino's are listed as weighing 420 grams on the Hayes site. From the weighweenies site, Marta SL's are listed at front averaged (342/347), rear averaged (360/362).

If the 420 grams for the El Camino's is accurate, they're about a 130 grams heavier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Actual weight?

Anyone actually have a set of El Caminos and weight them?

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime
    Anyone actually have a set of El Caminos and weight them?
    In DirtRag 117 they tested and weighed them. For the caliper, lever, line and fluid the front was 290 grams and the rear was 304 grams. Add around 110-120 grams for the rotor & bolts and they're really not too bad at advertised weight.

Way lighter than the Hayes 9 XCs that I have where the front caliper, lever, line and fluid weigh in at a hefty 350 grams.

Members who have read this thread: 0