TiFreak
    Aug 2007

Hawaiian koa seat post

Just got my new seat post and I wanted to share it with you guy's. It's made out of Hawaiian curly koa wood. I wanted something different for my current build that added a little more island flavor. As you can see from the picture she's a hefty 416g. I should let you know the center was drilled out and an aluminum rod was inserted for strength. The wood by itself would snap.I know this is not a weight weenie worthy post but it's going on a bike full of light weight item's. If you'd like to see it's Canadian cousin check out the 2009 NAHBS coverage and look at the people's choice winner made by Sam Whittingham over at Naked cycle's. He made it for me. On his bike he used Canadian maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hack Racer
    Interesting. Good to see something different here.

How come aluminum rod? Why not bore it out to an ID where you could buy an off the shelf carbon tube and epoxy that to the inside of the wood post?

Ofcourse you need to do some calcs more than just figuring out how much shipping would be. Would not be hard... Just do a force diagram on a fixed canti-ievered rod and determine what the yield strength of the wooden rod is for various wall thickness, and how much the yield strengh the various carbon sized tubing can give you.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    My...that's a beautiful hammer!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenSola
    Just got my new seat post and I wanted to share it with you guy's. It's made out of Hawaiian curly koa wood. I wanted something different for my current build that added a little more island flavor. As you can see from the picture she's a hefty 416g. I should let you know the center was drilled out and an aluminum rod was inserted for strength. The wood by itself would snap.I know this is not a weight weenie worthy post but it's going on a bike full of light weight item's. If you'd like to see it's Canadian cousin check out the 2009 NAHBS coverage and look at the people's choice winner made by Sam Whittingham over at Naked cycle's. He made it for me. On his bike he used Canadian maple.
    that should be way strong! by it's self I know a guy that used a 3' piece if koa to fix the frame on his truck..... drove it like that for years!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    so is there some reason to use this? does it dampen trail vibrations or something?

mtbr member
    Very cool, Seven!

Cheers, I think that's a great idea- kind of like a carbon tube with a thick wood veneer.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    ...I know a guy that used a 3' piece if koa to fix the frame on his truck..... drove it like that for years!
    Welcome to island auto repair...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    But then again...if that thing ever broke, ohh....the splinters!

Reinforcing it with CF would make it hard to sell- who would believe carbon is inside? People buy CF for looks too.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"