mtbr member
    Aug 2004

GT dead, But now I get new!!

my good old GT sts finally cracked, but this means new frame!!!! I have only just gotten back into MTB as I do a fair bit of Road Racing, hence the old frame.

But since it cracked I can get a new one (full suspension, don't have the skills for only front). Can't decide between epic, scott, GT. Will probably secondhand as lacking in cash.

Any ideas? I live in Australia so either needs to be available here or can be sent.

Here a last pick of my old bike!

Thanks
    Grant
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    A GT, no way, I have the first generation RTS and still have it as my second bike . I've had it for almost 14 years now.

mtbr member

Go GT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emmfan
    A GT, no way, I have the first generation RTS and still have it as my second bike . I've had it for almost 14 years now.

And I still have my GT STS which still works great (it is comparable to my 5-spot in many ways! although it really was more of a 3.75" bike than a 4.75" as depicted in the figure with a marzocchi Z1). I still think it was one of the best looking frames ever produced and your looks quite gorgeous I have no idea about new GT, but Iron Horse or Giant seem to be "cheap" and good bets this year.
    Last edited by Davide; 01-18-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Cassoulet forever !
    Nice bike guys.
    As a GT rider, i alwys loved this frames, especially the i-drive version....

Could you tell me if this is thermoplastic carbon and aluminium inserts (BB, HT, ...) ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    Nice bike guys.
    As a GT rider, i alwys loved this frames, especially the i-drive version....

Could you tell me if this is thermoplastic carbon and aluminium inserts (BB, HT, ...) ?
    What info were you after?? the geometry of the frame, or about the frame in general. Can't give geomerty as the bikes at home but frame is thermoplastic (nylon / epoxy mix, I think) with alloy lugs. The frame is made much like cannondale new 6-13 road bikes. The lugs are made then the nylon in laid up inside the lugs. A bladder is blown up inside the nylon-thermoplastic forcing it to conform around the lugs locking them in place.

Grant

Cassoulet forever !
    Thanks for the info.

Feelings about thermoplastic seems mixed. Some people think they are the future, some others think they are not so good as carbon/epoxy thermoset...

I was wondering how they were doing the insulation between the carbon and the alloy to prevent galvanic corrosion.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    Thanks for the info.

Feelings about thermoplastic seems mixed. Some people think they are the future, some others think they are not so good as carbon/epoxy thermoset...

I was wondering how they were doing the insulation between the carbon and the alloy to prevent galvanic corrosion.
    ... thermoplasitc seems to be on the way down for frame constructions, almost everybody is going for "normal" fabric layout under heat/pressure, leaving thermoplstic for some components or in 'mixed" construction methods,

The STS frame is beautiful but rather heavy (6+ without shock), it is too bad that they stopped production. A STS would make a wondeful 3.75" travel bike with a now platform shock and a revised constructonn method that shaves off some weight ...

STS
    mtbr member

my STS

That's the reason of my nick
    And here you have my updated STS-1000DS bike configuration:

Talas RLC, Fox Propedal that gives 18cms rear, XTR, Formula B4SL 185-160, X-pedo ti/ti, 2005 AC hubs with ti-spokes front and Cx-Ray rear, Ti-rotor front and Stans alu rear, all bolts ti and alu, Ö.)

actual weight is 11,48Kg, not bad for a bike ready for any trail downhill

If you want to see pics, visit my post in one of the most visited Spanish forum:
    http://www.foromtb.com/viewtopic.php...&highlight=sts
    because I don't know how to add photos here

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    That's the reason of my nick
    And here you have my updated STS-1000DS bike configuration:

Talas RLC, Fox Propedal that gives 18cms rear, XTR, Formula B4SL 185-160, X-pedo ti/ti, 2005 AC hubs with ti-spokes front and Cx-Ray rear, Ti-rotor front and Stans alu rear, all bolts ti and alu, Ö.)

actual weight is 11,48Kg, not bad for a bike ready for any trail downhill

If you want to see pics, visit my post in one of the most visited Spanish forum:
    http://www.foromtb.com/viewtopic.php...&highlight=sts
    because I don't know how to add photos here
    Dude, how'd you get that pro-pedal on there? Very Nice!

Max
    Velodramatic
    damn, wish i was older so i would have been able to get hold of an old LTS - or even better - STS frame. definately a sweet build grantgaston123!

davide, yours looks nice too, but i'd swap out the tires for all-black ones...

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    damn, wish i was older so i would have been able to get hold of an old LTS - or even better - STS frame. definately a sweet build grantgaston123!

davide, yours looks nice too, but i'd swap out the tires for all-black ones...
    My old LTS was very sweet for its time. I have a 96 LTS1 that my wife now uses. But I'd love to set it up with a modern shock like the propedal. Anyone know how?

Max
    Velodramatic
    BTW: what about pedal kick-back on the LTS and STS rigs. rumors had it that the drivetrain was subjected to immense rear suspension influence. dunno if it's true, started riding in 1999 and have never had a chance to ride one myself...

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

STS
    mtbr member
    The propedal Fox shock update is possible thanks to the very similar trunion system of the cannondale Jekyll frame.
    Yo have three options:
    1 - to order a new mechanized trunion mount with the new shock diameter in the closest factory of mechanized (very expensive and laborious)
    2- to modify your existing trunion in the same factory of mechanized (cheapest and easy). That is what I made
    3- to order the special trunion to Bedt.com they told me they do it, but itís more expensive than option 2

and here you have the results:
    you can choose between 140mm and 180mm. And works really perfect